List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm neither here or there with Reid, just know that hypothetically in a final series who do I want as the reserve, becuase this is what it is. Long term sure lets go Buller, no reason both can't be kept. Put Mills on the long term and get a MSD that way or something as if Mills is back before finals.
I can't see us manufacturing a way to participate in the MSD. If someone suffers a season ending injury between now and then, maybe, but I can't see anyone we could pick in the MSD coming in and making a difference this season. Even with our three most inside mids missing for the first few weeks, our midfield found a way to get things done. Sheldrick was the standout in the VFL game yesterday yet doesn't look like winning a spot anytime soon. A couple of players are going to be unlucky when the injured stalwarts are ready to resume.

And we already have a situation where it's going to be hard to find players to cut from the senior list at the end of the season. The most vulnerable players are still very young and are showing some development and play positions that we need reinforcements in in the next two to three years. Just not now, and maybe not next year.

If we think he'll be right for the 2nd half of the season, sure. I'm more talking about next year, but now realise you were actually talking about the MSD.

I'm fairly sure we think Mills is getting back sooner.

If we don't get a MSD pick so be it, means we have a full list available before the pointy end.

Next year I agree, this should be Reid's last year, but I would be okay signing him for the VFL next year with a coaching role attached whatever.

This is the Swans with estimates on long term injuries, if he is back before round 20 I'd be highly surprised lol

I'd actually like to take a MSD one, take a punt on a genuine lockdown defender or whatever.

I can't see us manufacturing a way to participate in the MSD.

Mills onto the injury list is one way. If you can guarantee he's back before r20 I'm all here, but Parker was a 4 week injury...that went on 7 weeks.

Mills onto the injury list is one way. If you can guarantee he's back before r20 I'm all here, but Parker was a 4 week injury...that went on 7 weeks.
Unless he's had a setback, there is no way they are going to write Mills's season off now. Not to make room for the 15th or so best player available in a MSD.

But my post was more about why we would want to. We don't have any positional needs we have to cover. And even though we did last year, with a desperate need for some height, the two players we drafted have thus far played one game between them. Plus we have enough players running around in the VFL side capable of coming in and playing a role in the senior team. Maybe not starring, but certainly playing a role.

Unless he's had a setback, there is no way they are going to write Mills's season off now. Not to make room for the 15th or so best player available in a MSD.

But my post was more about why we would want to. We don't have any positional needs we have to cover. And even though we did last year, with a desperate need for some height, the two players we drafted have thus far played one game between them. Plus we have enough players running around in the VFL side capable of coming in and playing a role in the senior team. Maybe not starring, but certainly playing a role.

I'd say a genuine lockdown defender or small defender is still a need and we can always swing for the fences on a KPF to partner Logan. If we can have a pick I'd lean towards taking one crack at one of those two types.

Liz i think its more the club will give him every chance but how will it hold up in a match scenario tackling/hitting the ground and in general physical contact.

I always thought it was a write off for him this season when he done it.

I'd say a genuine lockdown defender or small defender is still a need and we can always swing for the fences on a KPF to partner Logan. If we can have a pick I'd lean towards taking one crack at one of those two types.
This is the midseason draft we're talking about. And a late pick in the midseason draft, to boot. You really think we'll find someone more capable than Hamling or Edwards or Snell or Buller or Warner or Mitchell or Magor or Vickery?

This is the midseason draft we're talking about. And a late pick in the midseason draft, to boot. You really think we'll find someone more capable than Hamling or Edwards or Snell or Buller or Warner or Mitchell or Magor or Vickery?
you won't know unless you try, and these are 6mth contracts can make a call quickly, theres no downside.

I agree that we don't need to manufacture a spot. But it's not just about this year, you get a crack at a player in the top 18 of performers or showing potential across state leagues etc.

A lot of them don't end up doing much at AFL level, but it's another opportunity to bring in talent for the long term (since you then have the ability to extend).

Normally, it’s hard to pick our delistings at year end.

But this year, it just feels a bit more clear-cut.

Buller, Arnold, Vickery all seem to have a mountain to climb. McAndrew hasn’t shown a lot in the VFL this year & also appears on very shaky ground with Green’s recruitment.

Reid retires.

Magor is probably the most borderline. Might depend on whether players like Fox & Cunningham go on for another year?

Edwards and Francis most likely get extended, but either could go without being a complete surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Normally, it’s hard to pick our delistings at year end.

But this year, it just feels a bit more clear-cut.

Buller, Arnold, Vickery all seem to have a mountain to climb. McAndrew hasn’t shown a lot in the VFL this year & also appears on very shaky ground with Green’s recruitment.

Reid retires.

Magor is probably the most borderline. Might depend on whether players like Fox & Cunningham go on for another year?

Edwards and Francis most likely get extended, but either could go without being a complete surprise.
For mine only Reid is at risk because of age/fitness.
At this stage we can't count Green as a ruck so we only have three. I would offer McAndrew a year. Purely injury cover.
Arnold is gone.
Hard to see Vickery staying.
I think Fox and Cunningham are both still fit and good for at least another year as best say 26.
Buller is an interesting one as sometimes he looks the goods and other times not. As the only other tall forward (Francis?) delisting would leave us skinny.
Francis is also tricky because he is AFL standard and can play both ends. Probably stays, Edwards too. Melican stays.
With that Magor most likely goes.
Reid, Arnold, Vickery, Magor only gives us 4 slots for trade and draft. There might be another very tough call in there.

At this stage we can't count Green as a ruck so we only have three. I would offer McAndrew a year. Purely injury cover.
Arnold is gone.
I think Fox and Cunningham are both still fit and good for at least another year as best say 26.
Buller is an interesting one as sometimes he looks the goods and other times not. As the only other tall forward (Francis?) delisting would leave us skinny.
Francis is also tricky because he is AFL standard and can play both ends. Probably stays, Edwards too. Melican stays.
Reid, Arnold, Vickery, Magor only gives us 4 slots for trade and draft. There might be another very tough call in there.
And that is 3 rookies and one from the main list. I reckon there will be another tough call in there.

Arnold is gone.

Plus one or two may chase money elsewhere.

Here’s an out there thought, if Haywood leaves at end of the year, and we want another fast endurance player to fill that defensive running high half forward role, do we get Lloyd to have a go?

Lloyd is getting pushed out of the back line and we are stacked with wingers. He is also a great shot for goal from around 50. He wouldn’t tackle with the same aggression as Haywood, but he would drive opposition half back flankers nuts but never letting them find loose space. He can also do the link up plays well and isn’t bad delivering into 50. He would take as many contested marks, which may be the strongest reason not to consider him.

Here’s an out there thought, if Haywood leaves at end of the year, and we want another fast endurance player to fill that defensive running high half forward role, do we get Lloyd to have a go?

Lloyd is getting pushed out of the back line and we are stacked with wingers. He is also a great shot for goal from around 50. He wouldn’t tackle with the same aggression as Haywood, but he would drive opposition half back flankers nuts but never letting them find loose space. He can also do the link up plays well and isn’t bad delivering into 50. He would take as many contested marks, which may be the strongest reason not to consider him.
For mine McInerney would be next man up.

SA PAIR ‘VERY KEEN’ ON IN-DEMAND SWAN

Sydney forward Will Hayward is reportedly on the radar of numerous AFL clubs as his current deal nears its expiration.

According to Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph, the North Adelaide product has “parked” contract talks with Sydney as a new club enters the race for his services.

“He’s parked his deal at the moment, he’s a man in demand everywhere,” Ralph told Fox Footy’s On the Couch.

“Port Adelaide has now joined the chase, Adelaide is keen — of course, he is a South Australian.

“There is interest everywhere for him. Port Adelaide wanted a dynamic midfielder-forward, even before Sam Powell-Pepper’s ACL tear. It only intensifies the interest.

“I love a cross-town rivalry, Adelaide and Port Adelaide are very keen. You remember, (Orazio) Fantasia went to Port Adelaide, (Jordan) Dawson went to Adelaide.

“(Hayward) is a free agent, but even now, Adelaide is saying ‘our first rounder and our future first-rounder, they are on the table — roll up, roll up, give us a deal’.”

Holding restricted free agent status, any contending offer for the 25-year-old can be matched by Sydney.

Hayward has played 144 games since being picked by the Swans at No.21 in 2016.

SA PAIR ‘VERY KEEN’ ON IN-DEMAND SWAN

Sydney forward Will Hayward is reportedly on the radar of numerous AFL clubs as his current deal nears its expiration.

According to Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph, the North Adelaide product has “parked” contract talks with Sydney as a new club enters the race for his services.

“He’s parked his deal at the moment, he’s a man in demand everywhere,” Ralph told Fox Footy’s On the Couch.

“Port Adelaide has now joined the chase, Adelaide is keen — of course, he is a South Australian.

“There is interest everywhere for him. Port Adelaide wanted a dynamic midfielder-forward, even before Sam Powell-Pepper’s ACL tear. It only intensifies the interest.

“I love a cross-town rivalry, Adelaide and Port Adelaide are very keen. You remember, (Orazio) Fantasia went to Port Adelaide, (Jordan) Dawson went to Adelaide.

“(Hayward) is a free agent, but even now, Adelaide is saying ‘our first rounder and our future first-rounder, they are on the table — roll up, roll up, give us a deal’.”

Holding restricted free agent status, any contending offer for the 25-year-old can be matched by Sydney.

Hayward has played 144 games since being picked by the Swans at No.21 in 2016.

Jon Ralph has made a career out of piecing together a few rumours and pretending they are news, but assuming all that is true ...

... it is probably logical that Will leaves.

I think Will is underrated by a lot on here and we would miss him, but he just isn't worth huge money. And given we have the option of matching a deal to force a trade, it makes sense for us to let him go.

We should offer a responsible contract that is in line with where he sits in the team, but if another team want to offer him something stupid like 800k+ then you'd just shake his hand and say good luck.

Melbourne clubs will lose their sh*t
At least this year Brisbane won't be playing finals when they take him in the draft. Unlike when they got his older brother.

They'll still be vocal, while completely ignoring Carlton and the Camporeale boys, but if Brisbane made a Prelim or better then took Levi, Vic media would be talking about trade bans.

For mine McInerney would be next man up.
Jmac is too valuable to our structure through the middle. Hayward leaving will screw us up more than we think unless someone outside of the club or current 22 can step straight into it and do a reasonable job. There's a reason why clubs want him, we can't afford to be the club who keeps getting seagulled otherwise we will end up with holes in the squad. Fanbase doesn't seem bothered because we've been spoilt with a good squad, but if he goes you can guarantee we'll have a glaring hole. Club needs to match it no matter what, or bite back, otherwise we're going to be in the same position needing a medium forward next year.

I'm suspecting the club is happy to pay 700 - 800k to keep Hayward. If other clubs are going to be relentless and offer more then we need to start adopting the same mentality in targeting players from other clubs. Take that 750k and offer it to Bailey Banfield, he's out of contract. Freo probably think he's that under the radar type who they can just tie in on an average contract. Throw the book at him and put Freo under the same conundrum. He's one guy who I think could fill Haywards boots well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back