List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
Thread locked until 2023 Season

If you want to talk trade then there's always the Draft Board

In the meantime its nighty night until March

Last edited:
Okay everyone, unlocked due to popular demand but we will add this provision- if the thread requires excessive moderation this early in the year we will close it down Until March. End of.

Think of it as a little self-moderation exercise:sneaky:

Enjoy.

Okay everyone, unlocked due to popular demand but we will add this provision- if the thread requires excessive moderation this early in the year we will close it down Until March. End of.

Enjoy.

So your telling me that I shouldn't share the fact that my father's friend's brother has confirmed that we are signing Ben King, Jack Steele and McGovern at the end of the season?

So your telling me that I shouldn't share the fact that my father's friend's brother has confirmed that we are signing Ben King, Jack Steele and McGovern at the end of the season?
Which McGovern? I really don't want the Carlton one

Enjoy.

Thank you. I think I now understand why you closed the thread. It was to save work that didn't offer any great return. That is a totally legit reason and I wish someone had just said so. It didn't occur to me that it was a decision to save the mods work.

Anyway, glad you have seen fit to re-open the thread. If you decide to re-lock it, I will understand much better the reason.

Thanks Ticky.. (I want to say about time, but that may need to be moderated, so ill refrain).. to be honest, Love ya work, and thankyou

We traded out our 1st pick last year to strengthen this years trade/draft hand. Kinnear said "We will be more active next year"
We havnt traded in a big name since Buddy, 10 years ago! Buddys contract is over, the back-ended contracts of Mills, Heeney etc are over.. It feels like we are back to square with our cap? and ready to do what the Swans are best at.. Get the Best player next trade period. But theres a difference to this team from previous teams, that is, there are young emerging Guns in every position..
So, will we trade in a big player? if so, what position, what player???
or.. will we take take p18 (our 1st after we win the granny) and p19 (the 2nd rounder we got from hawthorn after they win the spoon) to the draft????

Last edited:
Personally, i would be looking to package everything we have for the highest single pick we can get. We dont need quantity, we need/want quality. The other compulsory picks can be upgrades off our rookie list, a few of our rookies look worthy of the main list so it works out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Ticky.. (I want to say about time, but that may need to be moderated, so ill refrain).. to be honest, Love ya work, and thankyou

We traded out our 1st pick last year to strengthen this years trade/draft hand. Kinnear said "We will be more active next year"
We havnt traded in a big name since Buddy, 10 years ago! Buddys contract is over, the back-ended contracts of Mills, Heeney etc are over.. It feels like we are back to square with our cap? and ready to do what the Swans are best at.. Get the Best player next trade period. But theres a difference to this team from previous teams, that is, there are young emerging Guns in every position..
So, will we trade in a big player? if so, what position, what player???
or.. will we take take p18 (our 1st after we win the granny) and p19 (the 2nd rounder we got from hawthorn after they win the spoon) to the draft????
To take a significant jump we would need to trade in a gun KPF, KPD or mid. We only have enough capital for one, perhaps even including our 2024 first.
We won't know which would give us the biggest improvement until at least part way through the season and there will remain the question of who might be available.
We have a wonderful crop of players to fill most roles to a high standard so I can't see us trading in any other positions.
Even then, we just might not be able to nail down a worthwhile trade and so we try to trade up the draft or simply draft the best available at our picks.

Must say I will be watching our contract extensions very closely.

I have no doubt our talented young crew will be targeted, egged on by the Vic, SA and WA media.
Nah, our youngsters don't exist in those circles until they move clubs and suddenly "wow, what a gem! Totally flew under the radar!"

Must say I will be watching our contract extensions very closely.

I have no doubt our talented young crew will be targeted, egged on by the Vic, SA and WA media.

I think it will be a pretty dull watch. Stephens and Sheldrick are the only out of contract players who I think we should be trying to re-sign at this stage. The rest have a bit to prove one way or another.

I would think Stephens should be fairly straightforward.
Could have bailed back to SA but backed himself in last time I can see no reason why he wouldn't continue to do so.

With Sheldrick I can understand why he'd wait to see where he is the pecking order
Gets some games this season and he probably backs himself in, much as Stephens did.
Strikes me as a loyal sort of guy, but if WCE come waving dollars and offering greater opportunities then he'd want to be comfortable with his standing at the Swans.

From the players' perspective I can't see any reason why they'd be rushing to re-commit prior to getting out on the park, but I'd be hopeful both will extend their contracts without much fuss.

2024 is going to be the stressful year for re-signings. 8 of our current best 22 out of contract, 4 of them will be in that 6th-8th year range where we've lost a number of players to trade requests in recent years.

Given some of the names it includes - Gulden, Rowbottom, Blakey, McDonald - I'd imagine the club will probably work on extending them this year a season early.

That said, Gulden and Blakey being academy boys helps.

2024 is going to be the stressful year for re-signings. 8 of our current best 22 out of contract, 4 of them will be in that 6th-8th year range where we've lost a number of players to trade requests in recent years.

Given some of the names it includes - Gulden, Rowbottom, Blakey, McDonald - I'd imagine the club will probably work on extending them this year a season early.

We made a deliberate effort to start resigning players early. Not worried that we'll lose anyone we aren't ready to lose

2024.... as it would count against us, I can imagine that's the year the AFL goes away from compo picks.:drunk:

I get this wrong all the time - trying to read the mind of Kinnear is impossible. But I reckon the Swans are targeting a Tall forward in the 2023 trade period.

I reckon theres depth in the backline with Gould, Francis & Edwards as talls, and Rankin, Vickory plus a few half back/wingers as smaller defenders.
The inside and outside midfield runs deep and its likely two more academy kids get drafted this year.
The Ruck depth questionable. Ladhams needs a big year, McAndrew may not be good enough & Owen is years off.
Its Buddys final year, very close to Reids final year, Amartey & McLean havnt cemented themselves and are in the final year of their contracts, Logans age means he needs help! Ladhams is a ruck. Paddy is unlikely to play forward, and Francis is unlikely to succeed as a forward.

We dont need more 18yo's. The 1st & 2nd year players are going to be lucky to get a game this year (and next). The Swans traded out last years 1st pick into this year for a reason. Tall forward and/or ruck??

Heres a few options as tall forwards (Footywire)

age: years / monthsht / weightgames playedcontract status
Elliot Himmelberg - crows24 / 7200 / 9838RFA '24 (pre-agent)
Tom Fullaton - Lions23 / 10200/9219OOC '23
Tom De Koning - blues23 / 6203 / 10041OOC '23
Jack Silvagni - blues25 / 1194 / 9199RFA '23
Sam Weideman - bomber25 / 6195 / 9459OOC '23
Peter Wright - bomber26 / 4203 / 100109OOC '23
Harry Himmelberg - giants26 / 8195 / 95127RFA '23
Jake Riccardi - Giants23 / 2195 / 9329OOC '23
Jacob Koschitzke - Hawks22 / 6196 / 9636OOC '23
Conor Nash - hawk24 / 5197 / 9450RFA '24 (pre-agent)
Nick Larkey - north24 / 7198 / 9571RFA '24 (pre-agent)
Mitch Georgiades - power21 / 3192 / 8747OOC '23
Todd Marshall - power24 / 3198 / 9076RFA '24 (pre-agent)
Noah Balta - tiger23 / 2194 / 10262OOC '23
Tim English - dog25 / 5207 / 10385RFA '24 (pre-agent)

list is limited to players older than Logan, but still have a few years of footy left.. Eg Harry Himmelberg will be 28yo at start of 2024 season - too old?
Theres always the out-of-the-box trade.. Eg Naughton who is out of contract end of '24 - can we get him??

I get this wrong all the time - trying to read the mind of Kinnear is impossible. But I reckon the Swans are targeting a Tall forward in the 2023 trade period.

I reckon theres depth in the backline with Gould, Francis & Edwards as talls, and Rankin, Vickory plus a few half back/wingers as smaller defenders.
The inside and outside midfield runs deep and its likely two more academy kids get drafted this year.
The Ruck depth questionable. Ladhams needs a big year, McAndrew may not be good enough & Owen is years off.
Its Buddys final year, very close to Reids final year, Amartey & McLean havnt cemented themselves and are in the final year of their contracts, Logans age means he needs help! Ladhams is a ruck. Paddy is unlikely to play forward, and Francis is unlikely to succeed as a forward.

We dont need more 18yo's. The 1st & 2nd year players are going to be lucky to get a game this year (and next). The Swans traded out last years 1st pick into this year for a reason. Tall forward and/or ruck??

Heres a few options as tall forwards (Footywire)

age: years / monthsht / weightgames playedcontract status
Elliot Himmelberg - crows24 / 7200 / 9838RFA '24 (pre-agent)
Tom Fullaton - Lions23 / 10200/9219OOC '23
Tom De Koning - blues23 / 6203 / 10041OOC '23
Jack Silvagni - blues25 / 1194 / 9199RFA '23
Sam Weideman - bomber25 / 6195 / 9459OOC '23
Peter Wright - bomber26 / 4203 / 100109OOC '23
Harry Himmelberg - giants26 / 8195 / 95127RFA '23
Jake Riccardi - Giants23 / 2195 / 9329OOC '23
Jacob Koschitzke - Hawks22 / 6196 / 9636OOC '23
Conor Nash - hawk24 / 5197 / 9450RFA '24 (pre-agent)
Nick Larkey - north24 / 7198 / 9571RFA '24 (pre-agent)
Mitch Georgiades - power21 / 3192 / 8747OOC '23
Todd Marshall - power24 / 3198 / 9076RFA '24 (pre-agent)
Noah Balta - tiger23 / 2194 / 10262OOC '23
Tim English - dog25 / 5207 / 10385RFA '24 (pre-agent)

list is limited to players older than Logan, but still have a few years of footy left.. Eg Harry Himmelberg will be 28yo at start of 2024 season - too old?
Theres always the out-of-the-box trade.. Eg Naughton who is out of contract end of '24 - can we get him??

Would be happy to get Himmelberg or Riccardi from GWS or possibly Koschitzke from Hawthorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back