Prediction 2023 Best and Fairest - Skilton Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 AFL Club Champion Dinner, presented by QBE
Date: Thursday, October 5 from 6:30pm

The night will be capped off with the announcement of our 2023 men’s Club Champion who will receive the Bob Skilton Medal as our best and fairest player.

Other awards that will be announced on the night include:
  • Adam Goodes Trophy (Runner up, best and fairest)
  • Peter Bedford Trophy (Third, best and fairest)
  • Rising Star Award
  • Dennis Carroll Award for Most Improved
  • Barry Round Best Clubman Award
  • Paul Kelly Players' Player
  • VFL Player of the Year
  • VFL Development Squad - Player of the Year.

Can’t make it in person? You can watch the event through a live stream on sydneyswans.com.au or follow the night on Sydney Swans social media channels. More details to come on the live stream.

Top 10 prediction at this stage would be:

1. Errol Gulden (he’ll lap the field JPK in 2012 style)
2. Jake Lloyd
3. Nick Blakey
4. Isaac Heeney
5. Luke Parker
6. Tom Papley
7. Chad Warner
8. Callum Mills
9. James Rowbottom
10. Hayden McLean

After the top 3, it’s very uncertain for me. Lots of guys missed a lot of games or they had significant bad stretches of form. I don’t think guys like Heaney and Papley had excellent years but they played a lot of games and played important roles so so will likely be fairly high up. Florent just misses out, Cunningham might sneak in to 10th having played every game and played his role well, and McCartin only played 15 games otherwise he’d be a podium contender given his form across the year.

2. Jake Lloyd
3. Nick Blakey
4. Isaac Heeney
5. Luke Parker
6. Tom Papley
7. Chad Warner
8. Callum Mills
9. James Rowbottom
10. Hayden McLean

After the top 3, it’s very uncertain for me. Lots of guys missed a lot of games or they had significant bad stretches of form. I don’t think guys like Heaney and Papley had excellent years but they played a lot of games and played important roles so so will likely be fairly high up. Florent just misses out, Cunningham might sneak in to 10th having played every game and played his role well, and McCartin only played 15 games otherwise he’d be a podium contender given his form across the year.
Going back through the Big Footy votes I was a bit surprised. Based on those I would expect:
Gulden
Warner
Rowbottom
Parker
Lloyd
Blakey
Gulden was leading at Rd17 and has blitzed it since. Warner was a steady points gatherer, as was Rowbottom. Mills might figure in the early group but doubt top 5. Considering the season he has had I think we have underrated Tom. I wonder how the coaches will see it. Personally I would rate him before Lloyd or Blakey, who was a steady improver.

2. Jake Lloyd
3. Nick Blakey
4. Isaac Heeney
5. Luke Parker
6. Tom Papley
7. Chad Warner
8. Callum Mills
9. James Rowbottom
10. Hayden McLean

After the top 3, I reckon they could throw the magnets in the air and put them in order that way.
Those three were either the only really consistent players or the only ones who's seasons weren't disrupted by injury.

2. Jake Lloyd
3. Nick Blakey
4. Isaac Heeney
5. Luke Parker
6. Tom Papley
7. Chad Warner
8. Callum Mills
9. James Rowbottom
10. Hayden McLean

Not bad, I am guessing swap Heeney for Cunningham for mine.

Heeney has had quite an ineffectual year and Cunningham has played his best.

We don’t normally announce any delistings until after the awards.

It’s VERY late this year 🙁

Lloyd will poll very well in the B&F - I’d tip him to be 2nd behind Errol.

Reckon Ollie will and should make top 10. Had a very good first half of the season and thereafter performed mainly lock down.

Interestingly, I reckon McLean will be our only tall aside from Blakey to make top 10. TMac just missed too much footy.

After 3rd its really hard to choose who will be up there with either inconsistent form or not enough games played.

1st Gulden - Should win it by a landslide.
2nd Blakey - Brilliant year and I think internally he should poll well given the matchups he has played on this season.
3rd Warner - Still a solid season numbers wise, has plenty to improve on like inside midfield craft but he's still been very consistent comparing to the other mids.

4th Lloyd - Always usually polls well, better season than last year.
5th Rowbottom - Most tackles by a swan ever in a season. Should be up there.
6th Parker - Only missed 1 game and still our highest CBA attendee.
7th Mills - Hard to judge where he will finish, hes certainly good enough to finish top 10 but doubt he will be high up there given his positional changes and injury.

8th Papley
- Highest goal scorer this year so should be a no brainer top 10.
9th Heeney - Inconsistent year but has only missed 1 game and kicked 30 goals with some bog worthy games.
10th McLean - Could be anyone here, Dossa, Florent, McDonald, Hayward, Cunners, but I reckon cause of McLean's brilliant improvement and ticking the boxes doing his job every week, he could sneak into the top 10.

After 3rd its really hard to choose who will be up there with either inconsistent form or not enough games played.

1st Gulden - Should win it by a landslide.
2nd Blakey - Brilliant year and I think internally he should poll well given the matchups he has played on this season.
3rd Warner - Still a solid season numbers wise, has plenty to improve on like inside midfield craft but he's still been very consistent comparing to the other mids.

4th Lloyd - Always usually polls well, better season than last year.
5th Rowbottom - Most tackles by a swan ever in a season. Should be up there.
6th Parker - Only missed 1 game and still our highest CBA attendee.
7th Mills - Hard to judge where he will finish, hes certainly good enough to finish top 10 but doubt he will be high up there given his positional changes and injury.

8th Papley - Highest goal scorer this year so should be a no brainer top 10.
9th Heeney - Inconsistent year but has only missed 1 game and kicked 30 goals with some bog worthy games.
10th McLean - Could be anyone here, Dossa, Florent, McDonald, Hayward, Cunners, but I reckon cause of McLean's brilliant improvement and ticking the boxes doing his job every week, he could sneak into the top 10.
Right cattle, hard to call the order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back