Opinion Parker, Mills, Reid, Adams... best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Errol had a disappointing game last week & on form, clearly must be dropped. Indeed, he’s lucky not to be delisted.

The Grundy experiment just hasn’t worked. Must be sent back to the VFL to work on his forward craft until another club offers him a contract.

Heeney never plays 2 good games in a row. Drop him preemptively, as he’s scheduled for a quiet one this week.

Rowbottom is far too negative for our style of play. We need players with flair, not those who pride themselves on things like tackling and winning the ball. That kind of thing is far more suited to the VFL or the under 9’s. Dropped.

Our 3 mature Mids are getting closer to being fit.. What happens next?

If I was Adams, Id be worried that after moving to Sydney to play more inside mid minutes,,
Ive just been watching Heeney not only dominate the midfield but also kick goals..
and watching Warner return to his 2022 form only with more 'power' so now cant be tackled, and kicking goals!..
watching Rowbottom step up to the point where his attack on the footy (whether its in the oppos hands or not) is for the first time being being recognised by all (not just inside the Swans)
I'd know that Gulden has another level to go
I'd know that Mills will play
I'd know that Parker is a Swans legend
I'd be very concerned that I might've made the wrong move and should've stayed at the Pies

JMac has been playing with more aggression than ever, and playing bloody well
Jordon is playing ok, but running very well
Campbell has a few levels to go up and is bit of a Swans golden boy
Lloyd is playing more wing minutes

Horse refuses to answer this question in his pressers (I dont reckon he has an answer?? yet?)
In saying all that, the Swans lost the clearance and contested possession count on Friday night!

Does Adams, Parker and Mills step straight back in? if so, who goes out?

Our 3 mature Mids are getting closer to being fit.. What happens next?

If I was Adams, Id be worried that after moving to Sydney to play more inside mid minutes,,
Ive just been watching Heeney not only dominate the midfield but also kick goals..
and watching Warner return to his 2022 form only with more 'power' so now cant be tackled, and kicking goals!..
watching Rowbottom step up to the point where his attack on the footy (whether its in the oppos hands or not) is for the first time being being recognised by all (not just inside the Swans)
I'd know that Gulden has another level to go
I'd know that Mills will play
I'd know that Parker is a Swans legend
I'd be very concerned that I might've made the wrong move and should've stayed at the Pies

JMac has been playing with more aggression than ever, and playing bloody well
Jordon is playing ok, but running very well
Campbell has a few levels to go up and is bit of a Swans golden boy
Lloyd is playing more wing minutes

Horse refuses to answer this question in his pressers (I dont reckon he has an answer?? yet?)
In saying all that, the Swans lost the clearance and contested possession count on Friday night!

Does Adams, Parker and Mills step straight back in? if so, who goes out?
Horse’s common answer is that these things have a way of working themselves out - in that it is rare that everyone is always fully fit and available and by the time those 3 are back other mids could be out from injury/suspension/down on form.

I think the injuries have been a blessing in disguise to be honest in terms of how early it has happened in the season and the different looks we have been able to get as a result. Would we have seen Heeney spending as much time in the midfield if everyone was fit?

If we continue to be humming I wouldn’t want to tinker too much with a winning formula. I would suggest Mills still gets a decent amount of CBAs, but spends more time on the wing and half back as well. If Heeney keeps this Brownlow like form up then I would be looking for him to take over Parker’s role and for Luke to play more time forward in Heeney’s old role. He’s probably the best kick for goal at the club and we saw how dangerous he can be forward against Carlton in the elimination final last year.

IF everyone is fully fit then there’s going to be some stiff players to miss. You’d still think he does, but will Adams walk straight into the starting 22? I would suggest Fox will be the first player out, but after that the likes of Cunningham, Lloyd, Jordon or Campbell could be the unlucky ones.

As good as Heeney has been in the middle, we're not dominating the stoppages. Adams and Parker have a huge part to play even if it is to play the middle when Heeney has a break.

If blokes like Adams and Parker play 40/60 midfield/forward minutes than we are in a good position.

What I liked about the game against Collingwood was it allowed Gulden to hang out wide and we could abuse his kicking. Had he been in the middle that wouldn't have happened. He can find space but he would be under a lot more pressure

Judging from Horse's presser the returns will be staggered, Parker first, a few weeks later Adams, then Mills.
So, assuming Heeney continues his form what happens?

It is not so much players in and out, but how the midfield minutes are shared.
I do not think taking minutes from Heeney and giving them to Parker will be an improvement.
I'd take them from Papley. Leave him forward and give those minutes to Parker. He can also play forward but as ever the problem is who misses out?
Bedders told us about Fox's role which is twofold, first to negate an opposition back, and second to do the gut running so that Hayward can stay closer to goal. That has been very successful so I can't see that changing.
Papley, McDonald will stay.
Amartey? Parker plays taller than he is. Or remove a winger? McInerney was very good, so Lloyd, Campbell and Jordon are under the pump.
The team so far this year unchanged:

[43] Lewis Melican, [30] Tom McCartin, [24] Dane Rampe
[13] Oliver Florent, [22] Nick Blakey, [7] Harry Cunningham
[44] Jake Lloyd, [1] Chad Warner, [27] Justin McInerney
[42] Robbie Fox, [6] Logan McDonald, [5] Isaac Heeney
[11] Tom Papley, [36] Joel Amartey, [9] Will Hayward
[4] Brodie Grundy, [21] Errol Gulden, [8] James Rowbottom
[2] Hayden McLean, [16] Braeden Campbell, [17] James Jordon, [34] Matt Roberts

It is really hard to see who will be dropped for Parker, let alone Adams and Mills. No wonder Horse has avoided the question.
Campbell has another year but he may look elsewhere if he is not playing Seniors. Do we take this into account? if we are all in for the flag this year - as we should be - we must be ruthless so we cannot consider future contracts.

I really do not know. I suspect injuries will make the decisions.

Horse’s common answer is that these things have a way of working themselves out - in that it is rare that everyone is always fully fit and available and by the time those 3 are back other mids could be out from injury/suspension/down on form.

I think the injuries have been a blessing in disguise to be honest in terms of how early it has happened in the season and the different looks we have been able to get as a result. Would we have seen Heeney spending as much time in the midfield if everyone was fit?

If we continue to be humming I wouldn’t want to tinker too much with a winning formula. I would suggest Mills still gets a decent amount of CBAs, but spends more time on the wing and half back as well. If Heeney keeps this Brownlow like form up then I would be looking for him to take over Parker’s role and for Luke to play more time forward in Heeney’s old role. He’s probably the best kick for goal at the club and we saw how dangerous he can be forward against Carlton in the elimination final last year.

IF everyone is fully fit then there’s going to be some stiff players to miss. You’d still think he does, but will Adams walk straight into the starting 22? I would suggest Fox will be the first player out, but after that the likes of Cunningham, Lloyd, Jordon or Campbell could be the unlucky ones.
Yep.. Mills - CBAs / wing / half back.

I can see Lloyd going back to half back and Roberts missing out after a good taste of what playing half back requires

Cant see Cunningham missing out, same with Fox/Wicks in the fwds. Reckon Horse and his set up loves a small pressure player inside the arcs.
Agree re Campbell would be feeling the pressure if everyone was fit right now, but if he plays a couple of decent/good games, he'd be hard to drop.

So maybe Jordon & Adams (& Roberts??) miss out if the list is fit and firing

Some great posts there. The key word is ruthless. Based partly on contribution in the first two games in the position in which selected and partly on getting more grunt into the mids I would (provided there are no injuries):
Forwards
Move Hayward back to his old role and drop Fox.
Bring Wicks into the 22
Mids
Drop Lloyd. If you can't do that drop Roberts and shuffle Lloyd back. 😱 Or Cunningham 🤯 Wrong!!!
Bring Parker into the 22. Shuffle others onto the wing. Rotate Gulden, Jordon, Campbell.
Backs
See above but for preference leave as is.
When Adams is fit enough give him two games in the VFL and make the tough decision. Probably Jordon.
Mills is too far down the road to contemplate.

I don't see how adams gets in with a fully fit list. Id be inclined to do Mills on the wing for Lloyd. If Roberts hits a rough patch, bring Parker in and switch with Mills.

Though return from injury timing makes it difficult. 2022 Reid in would be pretty sweet too.

Some great posts there. The key word is ruthless. Based partly on contribution in the first two games in the position in which selected and partly on getting more grunt into the mids I would (provided there are no injuries):
Forwards
Bring Wicks into the 22
Mids
Drop Lloyd. If you can't do that drop Roberts and shuffle Lloyd back. 😱 Or Cunningham 🤯 Wrong!!!
Bring Parker into the 22. Shuffle others onto the wing. Rotate Gulden, Jordon, Campbell.
Backs
When Adams is fit enough give him two games in the VFL and make the tough decision. Probably Jordon.
My 23 with Parker back:
Cunningham McCartin Rampe
Roberts Melican Blakey
Gulden Parker ChWarner
Hayward McDonald Papley
Wicks Amartey McLean
Grundy Heeney Rowbottom
Florent Jordon McInerney Campbell
CoWarner

Forwards
Bring Wicks into the 22
Mids
Backs
Fairly close to how I see it playing out

I don’t think Lloyd is going back to defence, I reckon they’ll settle Roberts there and I reckon he will get squeezed out of the wings once these players return.

As good as Heeney has been in the middle, we're not dominating the stoppages. Adams and Parker have a huge part to play even if it is to play the middle when Heeney has a break.

If blokes like Adams and Parker play 40/60 midfield/forward minutes than we are in a good position.

What I liked about the game against Collingwood was it allowed Gulden to hang out wide and we could abuse his kicking. Had he been in the middle that wouldn't have happened. He can find space but he would be under a lot more pressure
We're not dominating stoppages but I feel like we're going well there. Certainly doesn't feel like the midfield's getting beaten in that regard. At centre bounces the other night it got a little ugly and I was having flashbacks to recent years letting the opposition waltz it out of the centre. But then look who our six main mids at centre bounces were - Heeney (18), Jordon (13), McInerney (13), Warner (13), Gulden (9) and Papley (9).

That's not exactly a crew boasting strength or hardness in the contest (not saying they're soft.)

I suspect if Horse doesn't see something from this group pretty quickly and we have more losses out of the centre then it would probably reinforce to him that the likes of Adams & Parker are badly needed.

(Mills is further away but I think he'll end up in defence anyway.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're not dominating stoppages but I feel like we're going well there. Certainly doesn't feel like the midfield's getting beaten in that regard. At centre bounces the other night it got a little ugly and I was having flashbacks to recent years letting the opposition waltz it out of the centre. But then look who our six main mids at centre bounces were - Heeney (18), Jordon (13), McInerney (13), Warner (13), Gulden (9) and Papley (9).

That's not exactly a crew boasting strength or hardness in the contest (not saying they're soft.)

I suspect if Horse doesn't see something from this group pretty quickly and we have more losses out of the centre then it would probably reinforce to him that the likes of Adams & Parker are badly needed.

(Mills is further away but I think he'll end up in defence anyway.)
Yeah we're not getting dominated through the middle like we have in the past.

Melbourne are great in the middle and we got on top of them. Teams like Carlton and Brisbane really worry me with a lesser extent to Essendon and Port (we just struggle against their mids).

So long as we continue our upward projection we should end in a good spot. This midfield make up is a new one from previous seasons so we can only improve

If they were all fit this week and someone put a gun to your head and said fit the 4 in or i blow your brains out - now who are they in for

I would say

Mills--- Cunningham
Parker---- Wicks
Adams---- Roberts
Reid---- go ahead and shoot

If they were all fit this week and someone put a gun to your head and said fit the 4 in or i blow your brains out - now who are they in for

I would say

Mills--- Cunningham
Parker---- Wicks
Adams---- Roberts
Why did I read this in a Gene Hackman voice?

For mine...

Mills - Roberts
Parker - Hayward
Adams - Jordon
Reid - Yep, bullet probably.

I would say

Mills--- Cunningham
Parker---- Wicks
Adams---- Roberts
Oh, easy

Mills - Roberts
Parker - Fox
Adams - Campbell
Reid - Amartey unless you don't think McLean can play deep all game then McLean

Assuming all are fit anyway

Oh, easy

Mills - Roberts
Parker - Fox
Adams - Campbell
Reid - Amartey unless you don't think McLean can play deep all game then McLean

Assuming all are fit anyway

Yep the guy with a gun is an excellent medico and has them all ready to go. He is just a little unhinged

I feel like Adams & Parker seem peripheral to our needs at the moment now that we look really run and gun. But I think as the season goes on, the game tightens up and it becomes about the contest more. It's when you'd really need an extra hard body or two over running types like Jordon & Campbell.

Adams will play. He helps our centre bounce and contested ball. We all love what Fox has done these first two games but he is the most replaceable IMO.
We will have a very suspect forward half as far as pressure goes though.

Who's gonna be the guy buzzing around causing chaos inside 50?

IMO there has to be one but ideally even more.

We will have a very suspect forward half as far as pressure goes though.

Who's gonna be the guy buzzing around causing chaos inside 50?

IMO there has to be one but ideally even more.

We have been the number 1 pressure team for a while before Fox played in that role. All our guys are accountable. Saying that we’d be suspect is disrespectful to the other forwards who have done the job for some time. I love the guy but if Robbie Fox is the key to our success then we are in trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back