Player Watch #3 Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

[PLAYERCARD]Taylor Adams[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Player Profile:

Drafted by GWS with Pick 13 in the 2011 National Draft, Taylor Adams made his AFL debut in Round 5 of the 2012 season. After 31 games with the Giants the midfielder moved to Collingwood where he went on to play 10 seasons and five finals campaign for the Magpies. He joins the Sydney Swans with a wealth of experience including a Grand Final appearance in 2018. In 2020 he was named the club’s Best and Fairest and selected in the All-Australian team.

DOB: 20 Sep 1993
Draft: 2011
RECRUITED FROM: Collingwood

18 disposals and 11 tackles in a half of footy. He'll come straight back in next week.
He looked very solid. His disposal especially by hand was sharp and he seemed to have extra time in tight compared to others. Also liked his defensive work. Shanked one kick but overall, I'd agree that he could come back next week, although it will be interesting to see who for if everyone plays well.

His contested work was brilliant - he's great at winning the ball and tackling. His disposal by hand is reliable. His disposal by foot is iffy. And today his discipline was poor (which also showed poor leadership) although his experience and maturity was valuable at other times. (An example: the ball was kicked out of D50 towards him and another Swan was running to mark - he used his voice to let them know he had it and there was no mix up and collision. A small, obvious thing perhaps, but not to be taken for granted. These kind of things come sometimes innately but also with experience and confidence.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Highlights of Taylor's game yesterday (#12)

I think it's a bit much to call that a 'standout' performance. They are some pretty underwhelming highlights. First up he takes an uncontested mark and then short kicks the ball mostly sideways and away from the corridor. Second up he grabs the ball in congestion and squirts out a handball that goes to the opposition on the edge of our D50. Third, he kicks nicely inside 50. Fourth and fifth he takes uncontested marks and then hands the ball off to a player running past. (The first of these is the instance where he used his voice to good effect: Snell was coming across and going to take the mark in front of him risking them spoiling each other but Taylor evidently called out loud and strong to make sure that didn't happen.) Sixth is a nice clearance by hand from a stoppage in D50. Seventh is a solid centre clearance stoppage.

I would say that makes three disposals worthy of a highlights package from 5/8 of a game of footy.

Despite my criticism I am a believer in Adams. He's clearly hard and experienced, good at winning the ball at the coalface and competent at getting it to a teammate. I think he will make our senior team better. But he has his limitations. Mostly his ball use has been a bit underwhelming from what I've seen so far (much better in this reserves game than in our pre-season matches) and in this game his leadership was questionable: when we lost our discipline so did he when he was the most senior player there and should have been leading by example and pulling us back together.

I think it's a bit much to call that a 'standout' performance. They are some pretty underwhelming highlights. First up he takes an uncontested mark and then short kicks the ball mostly sideways and away from the corridor. Second up he grabs the ball in congestion and squirts out a handball that goes to the opposition on the edge of our D50. Third, he kicks nicely inside 50. Fourth and fifth he takes uncontested marks and then hands the ball off to a player running past. (The first of these is the instance where he used his voice to good effect: Snell was coming across and going to take the mark in front of him risking them spoiling each other but Taylor evidently called out loud and strong to make sure that didn't happen.) Sixth is a nice clearance by hand from a stoppage in D50. Seventh is a solid centre clearance stoppage.

I would say that makes three disposals worthy of a highlights package from 5/8 of a game of footy.

Despite my criticism I am a believer in Adams. He's clearly hard and experienced, good at winning the ball at the coalface and competent at getting it to a teammate. I think he will make our senior team better. But he has his limitations. Mostly his ball use has been a bit underwhelming from what I've seen so far (much better in this reserves game than in our pre-season matches) and in this game his leadership was questionable: when we lost our discipline so did he when he was the most senior player there and should have been leading by example and pulling us back together.
If his first touches allow the Warner/Gulden/McInerney types in the side to be in space instead of needing to side step 3 times before getting a disposal off, he just made us a better side

Agree but would add these observations:
1. Despite the step down in quality, one can expect a measure of rustiness - he did not play finals last year and missed the first three rounds this year.
2. I assume the VFL side is using the same system as the Seniors. Nevertheless practice is not the same as games. And if they are using s different system it is not the one he has trained for.
3. Harder to step in and show leadership in a new club, first game, 3 or 4 weeks in.

Of course, these matters should sort themselves as he plays more games.

Agree but would add these observations:
1. Despite the step down in quality, one can expect a measure of rustiness - he did not play finals last year and missed the first three rounds this year.
2. I assume the VFL side is using the same system as the Seniors. Nevertheless practice is not the same as games. And if they are using s different system it is not the one he has trained for.
3. Harder to step in and show leadership in a new club, first game, 3 or 4 weeks in.

Of course, these matters should sort themselves as he plays more games.
Yep. And I imagine what we will want from him is first hands at the contest and tackles and body pressure when he can't get those. He'll play lower %ToG just yet but that's fine. Anything else is icing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back