Position 2024 Fantasy Rucks

How much impact will R0 have on determining your RUCK combo ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 0 sees the clash of "MATES"...... well former team mates at least GRUNDY vs GAWN. The massive plan of tag teaming Grundy with Gawn was a much heralded fail.

From a Fantasy perspective, we don't care how much Collingwood was paying of Grundy's salary, or even if any of that goes to Sydney now. We just want a durable ruck who can give a viable alternative to English or Marshall at a fraction of the cost. We are bargain hunting here! So we look first at last season:

1704599846909.png

Then Grundy's output the season before (2022):
1704599987342.png

And for good measure, the season before that (2021):
1704600165465.png

It's not a particularly deep dive. Impacts the big Cox and Darcy Cameron has had on his output could be looked at as well, but I doubt it will have a material effect on the following question:

If you are considering Brodie Grundy for your Fantasy side, what do you need to see from him in the Mates Showdown in Sydney between Grundy and Gawn on Thursday March 7th?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Rucks
PlayerClubPositionGames 2023Average 2023PlayerClubPositionGames 2023Average 2023
Tim EnglishWBRUCK23118.7Nathan KreugerCOLLRUCK/FWD210
Rowan MarshallSTKRUCK23115.8Harry BarnettWCERUCK/FWD19
Toby NankervisRICHRUCK15102.3Kieran StrachanADELRUCK
Sean DarcyFREMRUCK1595.4Henry SmithBLRUCK/FWD
Kieren BriggsGWSRUCK1494.1Kalin LaneBLRUCK
Max GawnMELBRUCK2092.1Alex MirkovCARLRUCK
Jarrod WittsGCSRUCK2190.8Hudson O'KeeffeCARLRUCK
Reilly O'BrienADELRUCK2388.4Aiden BeggCOLLRUCK
Luke JacksonFREMRUCK/FWD2384.7Oscar SteeneCOLLRUCK/FWD
Darcy CameronCOLLRUCK1684Liam ReidyFREMRUCK
Oscar McInerneyBLRUCK2282.7Max KnobelFREMRUCK
Mark BlicavsGEELRUCK/MID1981.5Braydon PreussGWSRUCK
Ivan SoldoPARUCK878.6Nicholas MaddenGWSRUCK
Bailey J. WilliamsWCERUCK2376.7Clay TuckerHAWRUCK
Peter LadhamsSYDRUCK976.2Kyah Farris-WhiteMELBRUCK
Brodie GrundySYDRUCK1775Will VerrallMELBRUCK
Matt FlynnWCERUCK973.8Hamish FreeNMRUCK
Todd GoldsteinESSRUCK2073.3Jordon SweetPARUCK
Rhys StanleyGEELRUCK1371.3Mate ColinaRICHRUCK/FWD
Sam DraperESSRUCK1466.6Max HeathSTKRUCK/FWD
Tom De KoningCARLRUCK1666.3Tom CampbellSTKRUCK
Tristan XerriNMRUCK966Zane ZakostelskyBLDEF/RUCK
Hayden McLeanSYDRUCK/FWD2165.6Vigo VisentiniESSRUCK
Ned ReevesHAWRUCK2160.9Odin JonesFREMRUCK
Mason CoxCOLLRUCK/FWD1659.4Joe FurphyGEELRUCK
Lloyd MeekHAWRUCK1659.4Mitchell EdwardsGEELRUCK
Marc PittonetCARLRUCK1558.7Ethan ReadGCSRUCK
Nick BryanESSRUCK854.9Taylor GoadNMRUCK
Ned MoyleGCSRUCK254Finnbar MaleyNMRUCK/FWD
Toby ConwayGEELRUCK148Sam NaismithRICHRUCK
Samson RyanRICHRUCK/FWD1446.6Oliver Hayes-BrownRICHRUCK
Ben MillerRICHRUCK/FWD1345.4William GreenSYDRUCK
Darcy FortBLRUCK/FWD745.3Archer ReidWCERUCK/FWD
Lachlan McAndrewSYDRUCK242Coen LivingstoneWCERUCK/FWD
Dante VisentiniPARUCK339.7Lachlan SmithWBRUCK

1702201600013.jpeg
drama-queen-wallet.gif

Can anyone explain how Naismith is priced at approx 55 avg $521k when he has played only 2 games in six years and the last one was more than 3 years ago? Even then he only averaged 77

Pretty set on trusty old Gawndy here.

Gawn 113.1 without Grundy last year. (121 taking that stinker in the last game)
Grundy went at 100.25 without Gawn.

Gawn is probably a season hold. Grundy probably needs to become English at some point.

The downside is they’re both R0 players and have to have an early bye.

Any cheap rookies anyone expecting to play as R3 options?

Gawn is probably a season hold. Grundy probably needs to become English at some point.

Conway from Geelong

Can anyone explain how Naismith is priced at approx 55 avg $521k when he has played only 2 games in six years and the last one was more than 3 years ago? Even then he only averaged 77
Same as Coffield - hasn’t played/scored since 2021 but priced about 40.

Might be wrong but sounds a bit like making up as you go.

It's one of the more frustrating things in AFLF for mine. What they've done is apply the 30% discount on that 77 even though it was so long ago.

What should happen IMO is the 30% should apply for each year missing and a pro rata discount if some games are missed in the previous 2 years.

The formula is 3% discount for every game under 10 played, so 7 games played = discount of 9%, 0 games played = 30%
Because Naismith hasn't played for 3 years then he should receive a 90% discount (3 years x 30%) meaning his price would be $200k

Same with Coffield, he didn't play last season so they've applied the 30% discount on his 2021 season average of 61. He's missed 2 years so his discount should be 60% which again would see him priced at $200k

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why would Gawn be a hold? He isn't going to average what English and Marshall do

Solo ruck he wasn’t far off them. I’m thinking that Melbourne/Richmond bye will be first or second week of proper upgrades and wouldn’t waste that going Gawn to one of them.
well he was like 8 or 9 points off english. That's significant. Plus English is a captain choice. Gawn isn't.
5 of his last 6 games Gawn didn't get over 100.

well he was like 8 or 9 points off english. That's significant. Plus English is a captain choice. Gawn isn't.

Gawn gets to his average by ripping off these 150+ point monster games every so often to offset the lower scores. I'm confident he can still do that, and get close enough to English with a whole season as solo ruck.

Gawn gets to his average by ripping off these 150+ point monster games every so often to offset the lower scores. I'm confident he can still do that, and get close enough to English with a whole season as solo ruck.
And they're priced 25 points apart. English is not going to be 25 points better than Gawn even if he averages 118 again.

And they're priced 25 points apart. English is not going to be 25 points better than Gawn even if he averages 118 again.
true. but you're not factoring in many things. 1: Gawn is missing an extra game with the bye. 2: English is a captain option each week. 3: If gawn or Grundy go down injured, you have to gut your whole team to get in English or Marshall. 4: you're not factoring in that you'll have to use an extra trade at some point to go Gawn to English. 5: when you pick a gun like English, you're not picking him for value.

It's one of the more frustrating things in AFLF for mine. What they've done is apply the 30% discount on that 77 even though it was so long ago.

What should happen IMO is the 30% should apply for each year missing and a pro rata discount if some games are missed in the previous 2 years.

The formula is 3% discount for every game under 10 played, so 7 games played = discount of 9%, 0 games played = 30%
Because Naismith hasn't played for 3 years then he should receive a 90% discount (3 years x 30%) meaning his price would be $200k

Same with Coffield, he didn't play last season so they've applied the 30% discount on his 2021 season average of 61. He's missed 2 years so his discount should be 60% which again would see him priced at $200k
Warnie got back to me on this....

"People want clear, consistent and transparent pricing rules.
If a player misses a full year, they receive a 30% discount AND a 5% discount for every subsequent year based on the last available average.
Naismith averaged 77*1.25 in 2020.
While it was flagged, keeping rules is more important."

Not sure what the *1.25 means, but looks like he received a 30% discount for 2021, another 5% for 2022 and another 5% for 2023.

Warnie got back to me on this....

"People want clear, consistent and transparent pricing rules.
If a player misses a full year, they receive a 30% discount AND a 5% discount for every subsequent year based on the last available average.
Naismith averaged 77*1.25 in 2020.
While it was flagged, keeping rules is more important."

Not sure what the *1.25 means, but looks like he received a 30% discount for 2021, another 5% for 2022 and another 5% for 2023.
*1.25 is for Covid short quarters. So his 77 was more like 96.

true. but you're not factoring in many things. 1: Gawn is missing an extra game with the bye. 2: English is a captain option each week. 3: If gawn or Grundy go down injured, you have to gut your whole team to get in English or Marshall. 4: you're not factoring in that you'll have to use an extra trade at some point to go Gawn to English. 5: when you pick a gun like English, you're not picking him for value.
I’m looking at Gawn compared to Marshall tbh. My plan is for Grundy to become English.

Can definitely see benefit of set and forget here though. Are you going both English and Marshall or English and a value option?

*1.25 is for Covid short quarters. So his 77 was more like 96.

I’m looking at Gawn compared to Marshall tbh. My plan is for Grundy to become English.

Can definitely see benefit of set and forget here though. Are you going both English and Marshall or English and a value option?
Ah, sometimes you astound me with your smarts:p

I hear you. I've made a team already with English for these reasons. This happened to me last year with Xerri and Darcy. There's a world where you could pick English and Marshall as a true set and forget and focus on value elsewhere. I'm even considering Jackson or a value R3 instead of Heath/Barnett if I go the Gawn/Grundy route for these reasons.

I hear you. I've made a team already with English for these reasons. This happened to me last year with Xerri and Darcy. There's a world where you could pick English and Marshall as a true set and forget and focus on value elsewhere. I'm even considering Jackson or a value R3 instead of Heath/Barnett if I go the Gawn/Grundy route for these reasons.
Was hovering on the whole English / Marshall set and forget thing too, and mainly because they could in effect be a 100-150pt better play for each of them due to having only one bye (you get that with Xerri and Jackson too), But another kicker is both E & M give you 14 uninterrupted games (they have the Rnd 15 bye along with Ad, Ha, Ri & Co).

Making Jackson a FWD until then has a good feel to it (though DDP's may just change that in Rnd 6 / 12) as he has the Rnd 14 Bye and could help Rnd 15 when chasing 18 pulses gets the hardest usually.

It's just so compelling!

Was hovering on the whole English / Marshall set and forget thing too, and mainly because they could in effect be a 100-150pt better play for each of them due to having only one bye (you get that with Xerri and Jackson too), But another kicker is both E & M give you 14 uninterrupted games (they have the Rnd 15 bye along with Ad, Ha, Ri & Co).

Making Jackson a FWD until then has a good feel to it (though DDP's may just change that in Rnd 6 / 12) as he has the Rnd 14 Bye and could help Rnd 15 when chasing 18 pulses gets the hardest usually.

It's just so compelling!

After last year I tried to create some 'rules' for my side. Set and forget rucks is one of them so danster's points are bang on. But Gawn/Grundy is pretty bloody tempting. Another rule I had for my side was to carry four rucks - R1-R3 and a RUC/FWD. This could be English / Marshall / Heath / Barnett but it could also be Gawn / Grundy / Jackson and one of Heath / Barnett / Soldo / Sweet / Xerri. There are SO many viable combinations this year.

The only downside I see to an English / Marshall pairing is that both have the R15 bye. There is a lot of time to tidy that up but who are you going to for those rounds? Likely some combination of Gawn and Grundy. So you're trading one of them in anyway.

Back