List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Those who have watched the VFL for a few games, do you reckon Harry Arnold is a serious chance to be drafted by us? We probably need another tall on the list and we won't have any high draft picks left after matching Ashcroft and Fletcher. Since he's 23 I figure he'll be ready to step into the seniors fairly soon if needed.

Those who have watched the VFL for a few games, do you reckon Harry Arnold is a serious chance to be drafted by us? We probably need another tall on the list and we won't have any high draft picks left after matching Ashcroft and Fletcher. Since he's 23 I figure he'll be ready to step into the seniors fairly soon if needed.
I quite like him. Looks to have excellent composure and makes ok choices.

Haven't really seen enough and it's hard to tell in the sort of matches he's been playing in but he looks better than some of the others who we think are good prospects.

I quite like him. Looks to have excellent composure and makes ok choices.

Haven't really seen enough and it's hard to tell in the sort of matches he's been playing in but he looks better than some of the others who we think are good prospects.
He looks good but I have more faith in Connor McFadyen being a Ryan Lester type defender he’s really impressed me this year

He looks good but I have more faith in Connor McFadyen being a Ryan Lester type defender he’s really impressed me this year
Yeah .I don't really see enough of them to know. The problem in this era is that those on the list who aren't getting Senior games don't get to play a lot of competitive footy. It's a problem that the game should do more to address.

I can see Uosis and Cox gone from the rookie list. That opens up one Cat A and one Cat B spot.

Presumably Darryl White jr is signed as a Cat B rookie.

We can delist a player like Cockatoo, who is contracted for another year, with the promise to redraft him in the rookie draft.

Or leave Lester or TBerry out of contract, as a delisted free agent, with the promise of drafting them in the rookie draft.

Which ever way we go, we have four available list spots to take to the draft.

We trade our first round pick for the highest return possible, and take 4 picks to the draft.

We keep all our 2023 picks intact, so that gives us the opportunity to trade any pick on draft night.

Match the the Ashcroft bid.

Depending on where the Fletcher bid comes, we can look to trade our future first or second round pick out for later picks in this year’s draft, to match the bid.

Or if our late picks still retain points, depending where they land at the back end of the draft, hope they carry enough points to only carry a small deficit in to 2023.

And to carry on from my previous post.

The current commentary about this year’s draft pool and state teams for the national championships is, it’s a little lite on for key defenders, but there’s a lot of key forwards, forward rucks, ruck forwards and rucks.

If we get to late in the first round, and there hasn’t been a bid for Fletcher yet, we could look to trade our future first in to the back end of the first round of the draft, or a very early second round pick, and move our first 2023 pick up a year early.

I’m looking at the “long game” here, if Ashcroft nominates us, and Levi Ashcroft has a good year and good U16 championships, we might look to move our 2024 first round pick in to 2023 down the track.

And to carry on from my previous post.

The current commentary about this year’s draft pool and state teams for the national championships is, it’s a little lite on for key defenders, but there’s a lot of key forwards, forward rucks, ruck forwards and rucks.

If we get to late in the first round, and there hasn’t been a bid for Fletcher yet, we could look to trade our future first in to the back end of the first round of the draft, or a very early second round pick, and move our first 2023 pick up a year early.

I’m looking at the “long game” here, if Ashcroft nominates us, and Levi Ashcroft has a good year and good U16 championships, we might look to move our 2024 first round pick in to 2023 down the track.
I suppose it all gets back to whether Ashcroft nominates us. If he does we have him and can then plan around that.

First I was excited and then I remembered that we will evaluate and critique every word he says or does not say tonight.
T2-CC-Maroon-and-Yellow.jpg

First I was excited and then I remembered that we will evaluate and critique every word he says or does not say tonight.

It's whether or not he smiles whenever he says Brisbane Lions, that's what counts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s not suddenly going to use AFL360 to announce he is nominating earlier than expected. There will be enough ambiguity for people to freak out.

They’ll also throw him a carefully worded leading question to get a “I love living in Melbourne” soundbite.

Last edited:
It was a very typical interview…. But I did love the little line he reeled off above!
I was hoping that he would say that he has already played and won two VFL games with the Lions in the last few weeks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back