Replacing Kiddy for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Elite kicking skills is half of it.
The other part which kiddy does better that the rest is the uncomplicated decision making.
He sees someone in a good spot and instinctively kicks to them, minimal thinking. No second thoughts or guessing. It’s beautiful.

wishing you a flawless recovery Kiddy ❤️ enjoy the extra time with your kids

I agree, and was coming on to post something similar.

Very good overhead mark. Solid defensively, is a good, safe kick. Won’t bite off the aggressive kicks that Kiddy can, but I trust him more than all the other options.

Next in line, I would have Prior. If Ah Chee goes back, then I am bringing in Prior on the wing.

p.s. I’d drop Berry for Lohman. Berry has had is run, and it’s time to move on from him.
believe Berry had an interrupted preseason and will hopefully find some form.

I like Prior on the wing, reckon he provides too way running and is hard at it. Little shaky with some disposals.

Jarrod not quick enough to play tight in defence IMO, he's more a straight line metronome type player.
Magic Power GIF by DreamWorks Trolls

Jarrod not quick enough to play tight in defence IMO, he's more a straight line metronome type player.

Berry’s best and only role is midfield. That’s where he excels. He will never be a forward, back or wingman. If he can’t play a game in the midfield then he shouldn’t be playing IMO. Harsh as that sounds and people won’t like it because he is a fan fav, but if he can’t play mid then he can’t contribute his best.

my problem with zorko replacing coleman is intercepting is not a skill he has ever really shown whereas its something that coleman brings in spades

i think zorko is much better used further up the ground as a link between our midfield and forward lines

But ... Zorko is the smother king. Times this intercept perfectly.

Berry’s best and only role is midfield. That’s where he excels. He will never be a forward, back or wingman. If he can’t play a game in the midfield then he shouldn’t be playing IMO. Harsh as that sounds and people won’t like it because he is a fan fav, but if he can’t play mid then he can’t contribute his best.
I think Berry has played some pretty good football on the wing at times but not consistently, ideally he is a defensive inside/tagging mid type, although as others have said his shoulder probably wouldn't stand up to it.

FWIW I would leave him out this week, he has too many down games for a guy over 100 games into his career IMO, not going to happen though.

I think Berry has played some pretty good football on the wing at times but not consistently, ideally he is a defensive inside/tagging mid type, although as others have said his shoulder probably wouldn't stand up to it.

FWIW I would leave him out this week, he has too many down games for a guy over 100 games into his career IMO, not going to happen though.

His shoulders are cooked and he has no consistent role in the team. I agree. It won't happen. The lack of players able to play different roles consistently and the lack of putting trust in younger players coming up to do a role, and thus keeping the same team in time and time again can be detrimental.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the picture of kiddy makes it real. And it’s his left peg!

Zorko - the best attacking option. Different to kiddy but he is such a quick decision-maker he gets oppo defence out of kilter.

Answerth - the best defensive option. Super disciplined, fast and courageous. Doesn’t drop his head. Would mean wilmot, mckenna and to an extent Starce would be more attacking.

Ah chee - the vanilla option. Decent at defence, good kick, doesn’t do either at a top level.

I would be happy with either zorko or answerth. You can replace kiddy so do something a bit different.

We can also have a bit of a reset when Doedee comes back. Give him complete license to intercept, and then transition fast when he does - mckenna and wilmot are both lightning quick so they get aggressive an go.

Answerth - the best defensive option. Super disciplined, fast and courageous. Doesn’t drop his head. Would mean wilmot, mckenna and to an extent Starce would be more attacking.
bit of a forgotten man. i think would be good for the defensive profile of our side but i do have concerns with his disposal.

bit of a forgotten man. i think would be good for the defensive profile of our side but i do have concerns with his disposal.
I think if all else fails he can pump it long. But if he is playing lock down then he should be getting a lot less of it than the others.

Disposal always a worry in modern footy. I think answerth is a bit like john noble in that he will never be skilled but could improve under pressure with regular afl games. He seems to really panic and that could be a combo of afl pressure and always playing for his spot

Looking at the picture of kiddy makes it real. And it’s his left peg!

Zorko - the best attacking option. Different to kiddy but he is such a quick decision-maker he gets oppo defence out of kilter.

Ah chee - the vanilla option. Decent at defence, good kick, doesn’t do either at a top level.

I would be happy with either zorko or answerth. You can replace kiddy so do something a bit different.

We can also have a bit of a reset when Doedee comes back. Give him complete license to intercept, and then transition fast when he does - mckenna and wilmot are both lightning quick so they get aggressive an go.

I don't think Zorko can play anywhere full-time this season. Seems to be destined in the small forward, sometimes mid, off/on kind of role.

Would love to see Answerth, allows Starce to play further up, as Noah is more of a Starce kind of player with generally the same disposal.

Fagan confirmed last season that, although he will play anywhere, Ah Chee prefers to play as a forward. Would rather see him there.

Out of everyone on the list Prior may get the call up as he's the closest in foot skills. Can play a few positions as well.

From a strategic point of view I think this will present an opportunity to change up our style to accommodate more of the run and handball Fages said in preseason he wanted to bring in to our game.

We may have some guys whose disposal concerns us, but simply playing at pace will address a lot of those problems because it means we'll be attacking into a space where our opposition is not yet set up appropriately.

Modern footy you either need to be accurate or fast. Preferably both of course, but in the absence of the former we may see more of the latter.

Whatever we do it will take several weeks to get right I expect, and irrespective of the fact that it's pretty important to get a win on Sunday, I would prefer the club to take the time necessary to bed this down and get it right, than to take mid-game knee jerk reactions if some of their plans aren't working out from ball one.

Has anyone mentioned Jaspa Fletcher as a possible replacement for Coleman?
I dont know how much experience he has playing back but he has the right mix of attributes. We've seen some young draftees really take off playing the distributor role early in their career so I wouldnt be against Jaspa playing it.

Im still thinking Ah Chee and Prior are the two most likely options

Has anyone mentioned Jaspa Fletcher as a possible replacement for Coleman?
What’s Jaspa’s field kicking like on a consistent basis Briz? You probably saw it more during underage years. Haven’t really seen it a lot at senior level but is it solid enough to play the QB type role if required?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back