Replacing Kiddy for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Squizz89

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hammer blow type stuff with Kiddy going down, but alas we have to pick ourselves up and move on as quick as possible.

It’ll be interesting to see if we have to change the way we move the ball a bit from HB, given we’ve had a “QB” type player down there in Kiddy or Rich since Fagan has been here. McKenna and Wilmott obviously aren’t these types of players and I’m not sure we have any others that are, bar Zorko, who I’m not overly fussed on playing that position every week.

Guess the options are Prior, Brain, Michael or Zorko?

A real left field attacking option would be trying Bailey in that role. I vaguely remember he played well there for a stretch a number of years ago, and whilst yes we would lose his midfield minutes, I don’t believe he’ll ever make it as a midfielder anyway. Not sure he’d be overly keen on it so very very unlikely.

Do we have any other options? Do we go the running halfback route, similar to how Carlton roll out?

Forgot about Brain, did show some good signs in the reserves.

Nowhere near Kiddys level, particularly his elite distribution by foot but at least we have a lot of options in that area of the ground. eg. Madden, Prior, Answerth, Brain, Michael, Ah Chee.

One solution I don't want is playing all 4 of Andrews, Payne, Gardiner and Lester in the back 7.

I wouldn’t mind trying either Jasper or Kai in this role for a few weeks with a license to play on instinct and attack. Particularly jasper I reckon could be a gun hbf but we probably need him on the wings.

I wouldn’t mind trying either Jasper or Kai in this role for a few weeks with a license to play on instinct and attack. Particularly jasper I reckon could be a gun hbf but we probably need him on the wings.
Love the Jaspa back option, good kick and tough as nails, maybe Jaspa back and Sharp given a decent crack on the wing.

I think he did play substantial time back as a junior... briztoon might know?

Think you missed your premiership chance last year, will drop off this year. Footy is a tough business.

Did you analyse their list?
I think with kiddy going down, he’s pretty instrumental to how their backline works. I’m not saying they won’t win it. just saying it will be tough I think. They had a big chance last year

Interesting question.

I guess the successful applicant needs to be a great kick with incredible vision. They're few and far between. Charlie is a brilliant kick and creative.

I'd be looking at one of the following (in no order):

• Brain. Showed very promising signs at half back in the VFL last year. Almost debuted as a result. With a position open, he will absolutely get opportunities in Coleman's role in the VFL and if he can show more promise, could see him getting the chance
  • Prior. Seems to me the most likely option. Has AFL experience, is a good kick and is dedicated to playing his role. Not sure he has the dare of a Coleman or even of Brain when it comes to moving the ball, but we have McKenna and Wilmot who can take that responsibility. Would be solid defensively.
  • Carter Michael. He was projecting to be quite a handy player before his injury woes. Will be back playing VFL in a few weeks and if he can get continuity at VFL level, think he could make a genuine push to take the half back role by mid season. Strong defensively, but has the Daniel Rich kick down. Not quite as good as Richie, but very good nonetheless. Different type of weapon to Kiddie, but could prove very effective.
  • Zorko. Has the kicking ability we need off half back and is a known commodity, but he's also 35 and can't be relied on to play big minutes there. Could be a great rotation for him though.
  • Bruce Reville. A left field option, but one worth exploring. Bruce is very fit and has been training on the wing, so has the aerobic capacity to run hard both ways off half back. Has a great kick too. The question would sit around his ability to play fast and read the play. It is a bit of an unknown with Bruce, but one we should explore at VFL level and flesh out. If his decision making is there, could be a surprise weapon for us in that role.

doedee

play similar structure in the backline to how geelong did in 2022 with 3 genuine KPD (De Koning, Henry, Kolodjasnij) and then doedee in the stewart type role that we get coleman to play

i would line up like this
First KPD - Andrews (Locked, we know what we get from andrews)
Second KPD - Gardiner / Payne (I would have Gardiner ahead if Payne puts up many more performances like he did last night, gardiner looked in good nick really liked his attack on the footy)
Third KPD - Lester (was one of the few who stayed composed when we got opened up last night, very high football IQ)
7th defender - Doedee (given license to play loose and intercept, kicking is a real weapon)
Small lockdown - Starce (locked, we know what we get from starce)
First HBF - McKenna (think hes primed for a big year, him going to another level with a full season under his belt would really help to cover coleman)
Second HBF - Wilmot (similar story to McKenna, if he can build on his strong upward trajectory so far in his career it would go a long way to covering the loss)

think this provides a good blend of rebound, defensive capabilities and intercept game. good ability to ask players to switch roles (i.e. doedee could play more accountable and lester just told to float as a spare, wilmot can lockdown on a dangerous small forward when given the job....) which should offer good flexiblity in gameday coaching.

some might say its 'too tall' but doedee and lester arent really true key position players and cover ground quite well. a lot hinges on how athletic doedee is returning from a knee reco as well.

it sucks to lose a player like coleman at this point in the season. but as posted above we have a long time to figure out what our optimal structure and set plays look like without him.

• Brain. Showed very promising signs at half back in the VFL last year. Almost debuted as a result. With a position open, he will absolutely get opportunities in Coleman's role in the VFL and if he can show more promise, could see him getting the chance
interesting one. does brain have much pace? one of coleman's biggest strengths in the back end of last year was how quick he could close space to break up handball chains and get into position to intercept. doesnt look it on the broadcast but his burst of speed is very impressive. would want whoeever replaced him to have similar qualities.

doedee

play similar structure in the backline to how geelong did in 2022 with 3 genuine KPD (De Koning, Henry, Kolodjasnij) and then doedee in the stewart type role that we get coleman to play

i would line up like this
First KPD - Andrews (Locked, we know what we get from andrews)
Second KPD - Gardiner / Payne (I would have Gardiner ahead if Payne puts up many more performances like he did last night, gardiner looked in good nick really liked his attack on the footy)
Third KPD - Lester (was one of the few who stayed composed when we got opened up last night, very high football IQ)
7th defender - Doedee (given license to play loose and intercept, kicking is a real weapon)
Small lockdown - Starce (locked, we know what we get from starce)
First HBF - McKenna (think hes primed for a big year, him going to another level with a full season under his belt would really help to cover coleman)
Second HBF - Wilmot (similar story to McKenna, if he can build on his strong upward trajectory so far in his career it would go a long way to covering the loss)

think this provides a good blend of rebound, defensive capabilities and intercept game. good ability to ask players to switch roles (i.e. doedee could play more accountable and lester just told to float as a spare, wilmot can lockdown on a dangerous small forward when given the job....) which should offer good flexiblity in gameday coaching.

some might say its 'too tall' but doedee and lester arent really true key position players and cover ground quite well. a lot hinges on how athletic doedee is returning from a knee reco as well.

it sucks to lose a player like coleman at this point in the season. but as posted above we have a long time to figure out what our optimal structure and set plays look like without him.

The issue with this is that we're already very poor at ground ball contests in our defensive 50. A lot of the time if we don't intercept mark then we really struggle defensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our best option is Ah Chee if he wants to play there
I agree, and was coming on to post something similar.

Very good overhead mark. Solid defensively, is a good, safe kick. Won’t bite off the aggressive kicks that Kiddy can, but I trust him more than all the other options.

Next in line, I would have Prior. If Ah Chee goes back, then I am bringing in Prior on the wing.

p.s. I’d drop Berry for Lohman. Berry has had is run, and it’s time to move on from him.

The issue with this is that we're already very poor at ground ball contests in our defensive 50. A lot of the time if we don't intercept mark then we really struggle defensively.
doedee is quite good below his legs but i concede would not be as strong as an ah chee / michael

• Prior. Seems to me the most likely option. Has AFL experience, is a good kick and is dedicated to playing his role. Not sure he has the dare of a Coleman or even of Brain when it comes to moving the ball, but we have McKenna and Wilmot who can take that responsibility. Would be solid defensively.
  • Carter Michael. He was projecting to be quite a handy player before his injury woes. Will be back playing VFL in a few weeks and if he can get continuity at VFL level, think he could make a genuine push to take the half back role by mid season. Strong defensively, but has the Daniel Rich kick down. Not quite as good as Richie, but very good nonetheless. Different type of weapon to Kiddie, but could prove very effective.
  • Zorko. Has the kicking ability we need off half back and is a known commodity, but he's also 35 and can't be relied on to play big minutes there. Could be a great rotation for him though.
  • Bruce Reville. A left field option, but one worth exploring. Bruce is very fit and has been training on the wing, so has the aerobic capacity to run hard both ways off half back. Has a great kick too. The question would sit around his ability to play fast and read the play. It is a bit of an unknown with Bruce, but one we should explore at VFL level and flesh out. If his decision making is there, could be a surprise weapon for us in that role.
Prior would be the obvious and safe first choice.

Michael and Brain are romantic options, definitely plenty of theoretical upside, so I hope they get a try out at least but I feel like it's Prior's to lose.

I'm not convinced Zorko has the kicking ability we'd need any more, he tries a bit too much and coming out of defence it's a recipe for disaster.

If they’re wedded to the idea of a QB style role, as opposed to playing a more running half back type in the role, and we work out that we don’t have another like that on the list, then the recruiters need to spend the next 12 weeks finding the best kick we can find and plug them in there during the MSD.

What’s peoples thoughts on a mid season trade period? 😉😉

AhChee prob get the role in back now
Apart from Kiddy's kicking he also fills the hole and intercepts
Not something Zorko can do although maybe he plays more floating back for the kick.
If you look at our 22 Kiddy the one we could least replace with someone else.

As others said maybe play Fletcher back and Sharp or someone for the wing.

I like Prior but not sure I agree with those saying he is a good kick. Can execute a nice kick from time to time and style wise has a nice left foot but too often sprays it or turns it over in my opinion. If he were to get a long stretch of games, however, say 10+ weeks he may start to settle. It may just be a composure thing adjusting to the speed of AFL each time he comes in for a game or two.

Wouldn’t be surprised if as others have mentioned we roll with Andrews, Gardiner, Lester and Doedee with Doedee playing more of an intercepting and distributor role.

Gutted for Kiddy. Developed into a quality player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back