List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Morris is a tool.
If we had spare cap space (which we absolutely do not) it's going on a CHB. We're trying to resign Weiters for around $1m per year. On top of Walsh, McKay, Curnow, Cripps.... where would we find a spare $800k p.a. for a mediocre player like Hayward?
How would any of us know how much cap space we have? Being linked to players is an indication that we have a bit left over.

Cunningham, Martin and Marchbank are probably close to crossing a line at the minute. At some point we have to delist these guys and move on. It's hard to build a team when 3 of your best 22 are out most of the time. As good as they are.

Martin’s the one I’d keep,the other 2 are either very inconsistent or just can’t get on the park.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nic Newman (future 4th)
Blake Acres (future third)
Matt Cottrell (SSP selection)
Elijah Hollands (Future 3rd, pick 26)
Lachie Fogarty (Pick 30 & 51)
George Hewett (Free Agent)
Jordan Boyd (Mid Season Draft)
Matthew Owies (Cat B)
Jack Carroll (Pick 41)
Orazio Fantasia (Free Agent)

That’s excellent Recruitment/List Management, Nick and Team

I would be very keen to add Hayward if we can make it work within our cap. However, I can’t realistically see him leaving the Swans. They’d be after decent draft compensation given his RFA status and our offer wouldn’t yield anything major. I could see them matching and forcing us to trade for him which I think is a non-starter for us. It’s crucial we add another quality kid through the draft in addition to the Campo twins this year.

I would be very keen to add Hayward if we can make it work within our cap. However, I can’t realistically see him leaving the Swans. They’d be after decent draft compensation given his RFA status and our offer wouldn’t yield anything major. I could see them matching and forcing us to trade for him which I think is a non-starter for us. It’s crucial we add another quality kid through the draft in addition to the Campo twins this year.

Given they'll be there at the pointy end of the season, the difference between Band 1 and band 2 compensation for them will be negligible. I'd suggest if we could trigger band 2 compo they'd let him go, they're not squeezing a top 15 pick from us for him, so if the compo is pick 20-22ish then that's a win.

Two players triggered Band 2 compo last year - Doedee and Gresham. Doedee was reported as 5 years @ $3mil, so $600k a year. Gresham was reported as 3 years on about $700k per year. No idea how accurate those reports are, but that's what we've got to go off.

Hayward is 25 years old with no lingering injury issues. I'd be happy to see us pick him up on either of those sorts of deals. Shorter term, bit more money. but still not the $850k that some seem to be assuming it would take. Or longer term deal on less money, similar to what we did with Hewett to secure his signature.

How would any of us know how much cap space we have? Being linked to players is an indication that we have a bit left over.
No. In actuality it means that Tom Morris thinks he can get more clicks to his article by including us. All clubs are probably looking at 20 free agents and will make genuine inquiries about a couple. Most of these will re-sign with their existing clubs and a couple will be shaken free.

Trust me random speculation from Tom Morris is not a genuine indication of our salary cap position.

I don’t think we would pay Haywood 850k … doesn’t sound right … how much would a papley , kosi cost … I would rather pay a bit more and actually get a decent player … I get he is free hit but that’s a massive hit on the cap

Cunningham, Martin and Marchbank are probably close to crossing a line at the minute. At some point we have to delist these guys and move on. It's hard to build a team when 3 of your best 22 are out most of the time. As good as they are.

Martin’s the one I’d keep,the other 2 are either very inconsistent or just can’t get on the park.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If he can get on the park consistently in the latter part of the season, Marchbank is a definite retention. While the consistent output is not there ATM, key defenders are at an absolute premium throughout the competition. He has no underlying single condition to make his delisting/trading necessary. We are screaming for another KPD, he may not be a stereotypical modern day key, but is more “natural” in that role than Kempy or Gov.

Cuningham is in a group of AFL quality forwards (in his case mid/forward) that all have obvious best 22 credentials, that are unfortunately out of contract this year. Cuners has more “breakaway” about him than most of our mids, and could be a great shock weapon in the middle if he gets some continuity. Unfortunately he is most unlikely to become a regular mid in our line up. Hate to say it, but even if plays regular games, may become trade bait given our contract squeeze.

Apologies as becomes List Management, but this is a pivotal year for Owies, Durdin and Cuningham, not so much Fogarty who has pretty much cemented a spot. Having contracted Fantasia for two years dictates AT LEASY one of the group is gone.

Martin is also out of contract and in jeopardy. He is walk up best 22 currently, but with Moir drafted and Elijah traded, we are certainly building the next generation of medium forwards. The public linking of us being in the hunt for Hayward is a bit of a give away regarding our thinking. I would absolutely love Martin to be a part of a flag with us, he is made for September, but list management is a complex undertaking.

Injuries certainly will play a big part in our list management at the end of the year.

If he can get on the park consistently in the latter part of the season, Marchbank is a definite retention. While the consistent output is not there ATM, key defenders are at an absolute premium throughout the competition. He has no underlying single condition to make his delisting/trading necessary. We are screaming for another KPD, he may not be a stereotypical modern day key, but is more “natural” in that role than Kempy or Gov.

Cuningham is in a group of AFL quality forwards (in his case mid/forward) that all have obvious best 22 credentials, that are unfortunately out of contract this year. Cuners has more “breakaway” about him than most of our mids, and could be a great shock weapon in the middle if he gets some continuity. Unfortunately he is most unlikely to become a regular mid in our line up. Hate to say it, but even if plays regular games, may become trade bait given our contract squeeze.

Apologies as becomes List Management, but this is a pivotal year for Owies, Durdin and Cuningham, not so much Fogarty who has pretty much cemented a spot. Having contracted Fantasia for two years dictates AT LEASY one of the group is gone.

Martin is also out of contract and in jeopardy. He is walk up best 22 currently, but with Moir drafted and Elijah traded, we are certainly building the next generation of medium forwards. The public linking of us being in the hunt for Hayward is a bit of a give away regarding our thinking. I would absolutely love Martin to be a part of a flag with us, he is made for September, but list management is a complex undertaking.

Injuries certainly will play a big part in our list management at the end of the year.

Martin is too much of a key player to our structures when heakthy to just cut. Think he starts getting 1 year contracts moving forward with that injury history piling up.

I love Durds but he hasn't progressed as much as I would have liked. Cruelled by injuries at the most inopportune times.

Owies the least upside player of the lot but has a level of consistency and work rate that the others haven't been able to demonstrate. You know what you're getting with Matt. I'm a believer that he's an important clubman and plays an unsung role of lifting the group's morale.

Cuners for all his warts and all just can't get over the hump. Again, injuries are partly to blame but I just want to see more consistency. Seens he's either in the midst of one of his short lived bursts, sidelined or completely invisible.

Think you're right about Marchy. This is where not having a true developing KPD (Kempy aside) really hurts us. I love Marchy but if we had been grooming a long term replacement the decision to let Marchy go would be a much easier one. Instead, we're at the point where we almost have to hope that his body holds together. Perhaps we hit the trade table and hope for the best.

Given they'll be there at the pointy end of the season, the difference between Band 1 and band 2 compensation for them will be negligible. I'd suggest if we could trigger band 2 compo they'd let him go, they're not squeezing a top 15 pick from us for him, so if the compo is pick 20-22ish then that's a win.

Two players triggered Band 2 compo last year - Doedee and Gresham. Doedee was reported as 5 years @ $3mil, so $600k a year. Gresham was reported as 3 years on about $700k per year. No idea how accurate those reports are, but that's what we've got to go off.
Yes, but the AFL played funny buggers last year, in order to give North pick 3 for McKay. They calculated compensation off the previous CBA, not the future (now current). Salaries have gone up a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but the AFL played funny buggers last year, in order to give North pick 3 for McKay. They calculated compensation off the previous CBA, not the future (now current). Salaries have gone up a lot.

It's all relative though, isn't it. I'd argue Hayward is worth a Doedee/Gresham level contract. And I'm very confident that Sydney wouldn't quibble over the difference between Band 1 and 2 compo.

If we can't accommodate it, so be it. If he wants more, sod off.

If we can get a durable medium forward on a moderate salary without eating into our draft capital, and if doing so allows us to shed some injury-prone players who keep chewing up cap space for next to no return...that's a decent play.

Exactly. You’ve answered the question. No more moderate.

Newman was a moderate upgrade.
Hewett was a moderate upgrade.
Acres was a moderate upgrade.

None were elite players at their previous clubs.

But they were solid players who filled required roles and have excelled in our environment.

With our list profile, targeted moderate upgrades and steady replenishment via the draft is the way to go.

Hayward's a solid type.

Very much under appreciated in that he does a role rather than is a star.

Comes down to whether it's a value proposition to go after him.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hayward is a great talent and offers so much more than the likes of Gresham and co that i have read here.

Fact is, Jack Martin is unreliable and averages 12-13 games a season for the last 6 years and isn't getting any younger + our small medium forwards aren't exactly making the most of their countless opportunities.

I have Hayward as good as Ollie Henry who is such a brilliant foil for Hawkins & Cameron and the reason why the Cats are scoring so much. He can play both tall & small which is rare.

E.Hollands H.McKay J.Martin
W.Hayward C.Curnow J.Motlop

yes please!

I'm tired of carrying injury prone players.

Some of Martin Cuningham Marchbank S.Durdin Mirkov etc need to go. Have fit players is absolutely vital and we have Docherty Walsh who also have injury concerns

We will bring in Campo boys fairly cheap so may be able to use our first round pick.

Hope we can get another Acres/Hollands type deals. Cheap quality

IMO we need another Key defender and some more run. We may target some in mid season draft

Other key point is how much we rate Wilson Moir Cowan Carroll Motlop Monahan and how quick we believe they will come on

I was thinking the same thing....if we're genuinely chasing Haywood, it does show that we've shown our hand with our medium forwards. Cunners can't get on the track and uncontracted - same with Martin, both are hit and miss at best. Moir is still a developing youngster, and Elijah more a high half forward/mid. JSOS will be back next year, but I can see why we're interested, particularly being in the premiership window.

It also suggests that we're keen on a FA rather than giving up any draft capital. At a guess, the end of the year we'd be looking at 1 free agent, 2 picks in the ND (Campo's), promoting Boyd to the senior list, and adding Duffy as a Cat B.

I'm tired of carrying injury prone players.

Some of Martin Cuningham Marchbank S.Durdin Mirkov etc need to go. Have fit players is absolutely vital and we have Docherty Walsh who also have injury concerns

We will bring in Campo boys fairly cheap so may be able to use our first round pick.

Hope we can get another Acres/Hollands type deals. Cheap quality

IMO we need another Key defender and some more run. We may target some in mid season draft

Other key point is how much we rate Wilson Moir Cowan Carroll Motlop Monahan and how quick we believe they will come on
agreed. it's holding us back to go forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back