Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
Comben is not going back to fwd, not after that melb game. He is just starting to settle in defense, 10 games in a roll, longest streak of any he has done in his 4 year career with another 13 to go.

As for secondary key fwd, we might not get one so the next best thing is get 5 small pressure fwd that can feed off larkey.
Not quite 10, but he is looking good there for this year at least.
We struggle to find one small pressure foward, so five may be a stretch.

Comben is not going back to fwd, not after that melb game. He is just starting to settle in defense, 10 games in a roll, longest streak of any he has done in his 4 year career with another 13 to go.

As for secondary key fwd, we might not get one so the next best thing is get 5 small pressure fwd that can feed off larkey.
Is this meant to be parody?

Chom is an interesting player .
He was a midfielder until his final year of juniors when he grew a heap and was drafted as a forward ruck. He's not ever played a lot as any sort of kpp.
It's not like we have turned a long term kpf into a defender. If he goes forward he will need to learn kpf as well.
I like him down back I think he intercepts well and is defending better each game. I'm not against him playing forward but I wouldn't expect too much quickly.
While Logue is out he's 100% needed as a defender.

Kobe Ryan with a BOG in the SA U18’s v U20’s match. Really hope we pick him up with our second. Looking at our VFL results last couple of weeks our midfield depth is really bare.

Chom is an interesting player .
He was a midfielder until his final year of juniors when he grew a heap and was drafted as a forward ruck. He's not ever played a lot as any sort of kpp.
It's not like we have turned a long term kpf into a defender. If he goes forward he will need to learn kpf as well.
I like him down back I think he intercepts well and is defending better each game. I'm not against him playing forward but I wouldn't expect too much quickly.
While Logue is out he's 100% needed as a defender.
Stick him in the middle then.....there's the big body mid everyone wants.....hey Carey used to attend CBA's from time to time. On a serious note though, I remember the commentary in his draft year, was that he was probably the guy in the draft with the most upside of anyone. All the injuries he's had has robbed him of development, but right now, key back is relatively simple and why he is excelling. Happy to leave him there for the rest of the season, see how others develop and who comes in via the trade/msd/ND, and then see wha'ts best for him and the team in the offseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope he's flat out fast
Speed would not be the issue with him playing mid
Someone did claim that was why he recorded that particular speed. I honestly dunno but I've seen enough to know he moves faster than most tall players.

His latest game stats for the Tassie Devils against Smillie's Eastern Ranges: 29 disposals, kicked 4 goals, 7 marks, 9 i50s, 6 tackles.

1716274861702.png

1716272971405.png

Payne presses mid-season draft claims in Devils win​

A four-goal performance did Geordie Payne’s mid-season draft hopes no harm as the Devils notched a fourth straight Coates Talent League win on Sunday.

Jon Tuxworth
less than 2 min read
May 20, 2024 - 1:23PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Geordie Payne in action during the Devils' win over Eastern Ranges on Sunday. Picture: Linda Higginson/Solstice Digital

Geordie Payne in action during the Devils' win over Eastern Ranges on Sunday. Picture: Linda Higginson/Solstice Digital

Devils young gun Geordie Payne continues to enhance his hopes of being snapped up in next week’s AFL mid-season draft after another standout Coates Talent League display.

The north-west talent booted four goals in the Devils’ 14.10 (94) to 8.4 (52) victory over Eastern Ranges in Hobart on Sunday.

Payne was chosen for a ‘Young Guns’ side, selected by AFL recruiters, to play Victoria Metro and Victoria Country.

He was interviewed by a handful of AFL clubs before last year’s draft, and was considered unlucky to miss out.

Payne won the Devils’ player of the year award after using his speed and ball use off half-back, but has played mostly up forward this season with some time as an inside midfielder.

The 18-year-old is affiliated with North Launceston this season, and Bombers coach Adrian Smith was impressed by his display.

Geordie Payne is congratulated by Devils teammates after a goal. Picture: Linda Higginson/Solstice Digital

Geordie Payne is congratulated by Devils teammates after a goal. Picture: Linda Higginson/Solstice Digital

“The game he played with us off half-back, he’s got speed and an ability to read the game,” he sad.

“The thing I really liked about him when he went forward was he plays so tall for his size. “He’s such a difficult match up because he’s so good above his head, but when the ball’s on the ground he hunts it so well.

“I hope he does get drafted, he’s a good kid, and a bit of fun. I think a lot of people will be happy for him if he does get picked up.”

The mid-season draft will be held on Wednesday, May 29, with players needing to nominate by later this week.

The Devils’ win over Eastern Ranges was their fourth straight after opening the season with three straight defeats.

Small forward Lenny Douglas continued his consistent goal scoring form with three, while Jasper Hay was a standout in the ruck.

The Devils’ girls slipped to a 3-3 record after they were humbled by Eastern Ranges 11.12 (78) to 3.2 (20).

COATES TALENT LEAGUE

BOYS
DEVILS 4.5 7.7 9.8 14.10 (94) def EASTERN RANGES 1.1 2.3 6.4 8.4 (52)
Devils goals: Geordie Payne 4, Lenny Douglas 3, Emig French 2, Jaxon Thorpe 2, Dominic Pitt, Connor Ling, Toby Callow
Devils best: Jasper Hay, Dominic Pitt, Geordie Payne, Max Roney, Harry Elmer, Oscar Van Dam

Last edited:
Lings a left footer , will be on our list soon . Is he any good?
Matt Ling is lightning-quick and has a pinpoint left-foot kick. The problem is a torrid injury run prevented him from hitting his best over his first two seasons at the Sydney Swans. Serious toe and Achilles injuries limited the club’s top 2017 AFL Draft selection to just 16 NEAFL games across the 2018 and 2019 seasons. He was rewarded for his perseverance in season 2020 with an AFL debut in Round 8 against Hawthorn, helping the Swans claim a nail-biting victory with 10 disposals and two marks.

2024 Stats for the Red Legs.
Screen Shot 2024-05-21 at 4.44.21 pm.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back