List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmmm its interesting then....because the "retirement" is totally out of a clubs hands and it can take weeks / months to arrive at a decision. If you get 2-3 concussion incidents in a year (not out of the question) then you'll be 2-3 players short for an entire season.

Same as any other injury.

With the tigers down to about 5 fit spares and WCE having even worse issues in recent years, they should go back to pre-covid list sizes. I think we can let the stars of the game cope with only earning a million a year ...

Same as any other injury.

With the tigers down to about 5 fit spares and WCE having even worse issues in recent years, they should go back to pre-covid list sizes. I think we can let the stars of the game cope with only earning a million a year ...
They're not really that far short now (compared to e.g. 2018) in terms of list sizes. Back then it was a maximum of 44 Primary List and Cat. A Rookies, while now it's 42. Clubs could have 3 Cat. B Rookies, and now it's 2, but not too many of them are seen playing at senior level anyway. I do agree that it wouldn't hurt for the list sizes to go up again slightly, and it shouldn't be an issue with the salary cap about to jump again significantly!

Unfortunately, list sizes mean that you can have too many. Our smalls have been remarkably durable the last 2 and a bit years, whilst our talls have got injured willy nilly, which makes it feel like our list needs more talls, but you've got to have some small depth and some developing kids there too.

I guess

It also depends on where Beau ends up too. Right now he's a "small forward" but he seems destined for the midfield or wing so yeah, we'd need some depth in the small forwards

Having said that, decent mids can play there too

Hmmmm its interesting then....because the "retirement" is totally out of a clubs hands and it can take weeks / months to arrive at a decision. If you get 2-3 concussion incidents in a year (not out of the question) then you'll be 2-3 players short for an entire season.

No different to copping a couple of ACL injuries in-season.

I guess

It also depends on where Beau ends up too. Right now he's a "small forward" but he seems destined for the midfield or wing so yeah, we'd need some depth in the small forwards

Having said that, decent mids can play there too
By smalls I meant everyone other than talls. Mids, small forwards, flankers, etc...

Who was the one that called this one? Seems you are spot on.

Collingwood will assess whether it takes a pick in the upcoming mid-season draft on May 29 but like most clubs believe that pool of talent is modest.

The Pies secured VFL player Josh Eyre over summer despite a hamstring tendon injury that will have him out for 3-5 more weeks, likely with an eye on replacing Murphy if he did retire.

Why wouldn't we recruit a Murphy?

Eyre is 200cm . He's a traditional tall
Dean is 195cm. He's an "undersized key" and not ready yet
TJ is too young right now
Howe will most likely retire at season's end

I personally would argue Sof is almost exactly what we should be going for. He's young enough at 23 to still be playing alongside Q, TJ and Dean long term to by the next "back 6" for Collingwood going forward

Dean 24
Sof 23
TJ 19
Q 24

Murphy was only 192cm.

If there was the option then I would go for the silky mid. Our disposal into the forward line is severely lacking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the potential of Moore playing forward is just another reason I'd want us to take Sof

Sof, Frampton, Maynard (playing slightly taller), Howe (playing slightly taller), Dean, Eyre (when he returns) and even Kreuger (should he even ever play again) are all possible "talls" than can allow us to at least try Moore forward

I'm also a believer that you can never have too many defenders/forwards, especially at a Club like ours where they seem to drop like flies
It's pretty clear that the club agrees with you and are after a third man up type. I'd say a Howe replacement more than Murphy. They chased Doedee and Khamis and had Sof trial. They didn't think he was ready yet, however, him continuing on with our reserves suggests that he's still a chance to be added if he shows the progress they want.

Last edited:
After seeing the way the Suns dismantled Hawthorn I am not convinced we have fixed anything
Suns will be inconsistent but they'll play some good footy this year. And Hawks will get spanked quite often and sometimes drop their heads - but teams don't drop their heads when we're spanking them - it's a big game.

FFS. Frampton has come alive. Schultz is an upgrade on Ginnivan. Oldies have started slowly as they did shortened preseasons, but if you're writing them off you're silly. Our pressure is back. Personnel wise we're in slightly better shape than the last 3 quarters of the Grand Final - just got to clean up our skills, which have been really sloppy so far this year and have a few find some form and we'll get on a roll.

Agree but Pressure still not there enough so far

The players who will medically retire due to concussion are those which have had multiple concussions over their career. Not one off concussion incidents.

Clubs would already know who those players are & I'm guessing they would be getting ongoing brain scans throughout their career to see if there are any changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back