List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We just have to be willing to delist after 6 months if it isn't working imo

Not sure if the club is willing to do that
Fingers crossed we recruit someone who it's somewhat reasonable to expect to see something from now. The issue is our previous picks have played WAFL reserves while at Freo, which tells you all you need to know about how little 6 months mattered for them in the sense that they got to have 0 expectations.

Would like us to use the MSD basically how the SSP is used: a trial run to prove your worth and nothing more.

As much as I like a shiny new toy, I probably wouldn’t pick anyone.

I had Geordie Payne as the one young kid we might look at, but it’s sounding like he’ll be picked before it gets to us. Some questions around his ball use, but had the versatility and athleticism I thought would appeal to us.

I’m not sure what to think about Winder, mostly in that nobody in the media is running with it. Sounds like if our interest was real, it would be a poorly kept secret. I did like him in his draft year and he would probably be one who’d make us better now. But it’d also mean Simpson moves down the pecking order.

Kelsey Rypstra being nominated for a medical is an interesting one. The only genuine small crumbing forward on the list. I don’t think he’s much more advanced than Delean so wouldn’t be one to play immediately. He’s all speed and pressure, and we all know we value pressure over goals.

I would also take either of Jez McLennan or Luke Beecken on our list. But I know I want to improve our half back depth more than most on this board.
It seems so weird to say, but it really does feel like we need another development option off half back, particularly as it may unlock future options like moving Chapman further up the ground.

Chapman's ability to pick up his 2022 form has convinced me we should be trying to push him further up if his body holds up.

Oskarr Smart was a hot name in MSD conversations after this performance in the VFL for Essendon. Things have cooled off a little for him since then with some quieter performances, but he's still in with a good shot of ending up on an AFL list next week.

It seems so weird to say, but it really does feel like we need another development option off half back, particularly as it may unlock future options like moving Chapman further up the ground.

Chapman's ability to pick up his 2022 form has convinced me we should be trying to push him further up if his body holds up.

I do think it’s a bigger need than many seem to think. It doesn’t necessarily need to be a mature guy in the MSD, but it’s an option.

Clark is such a big piece to this team. If he goes down, it’s Wagner. And while I do like what he brings, he doesn’t exactly have the same level of class.

Injuries to O’Driscoll and Stanley haven’t been ideal. I wonder if with Sharp nailing down a wing spot, if we’d have moved one of them to half back.

I think we are almost at the point of our development where we can draft anyone with speed who can kick the ball 50m+ and play them behind the ball to break the lines a bit running then just launch it forward towards the boundary and our talls either mark it or send it over the line.

They have no idea about us, but likely no pick

FREMANTLE

Available list spots prior to Round 11:

The Dockers are eligible to potentially make a selection as they still have a list spot vacant following last year’s draft period.

The Dockers could stay local and pick a WAFL talent, although rival teams believe Freo has shown some interest in Coburg’s Caleb Ernst, who’s kicked 3.3 from six VFL games this season.

They have no idea about us, but likely no pick

FREMANTLE

Available list spots prior to Round 11:

The Dockers are eligible to potentially make a selection as they still have a list spot vacant following last year’s draft period.

The Dockers could stay local and pick a WAFL talent, although rival teams believe Freo has shown some interest in Coburg’s Caleb Ernst, who’s kicked 3.3 from six VFL games this season.
According to his VFL stats he is a potato. Averages 9 disposals, 2.5 marks and 0.5 goals per game. 194 cm so must be a medium/KPP forward.

Can't imagine we'd have any real interest in a tall. We have so many already.

I was going to mention KPF as a smokey position for us. I was thinking more if Scaife was available though.

Corbett and Kuek are likely gone at the end of the season, good chance Taberner is too - I think we’d want to keep him, but he might get a one year offer somewhere else with better chances of playing time.

And then what? If we use the MSD as a 6 month trial with an eye to the future, it’s not out of the question.

I was going to mention KPF as a smokey position for us. I was thinking more if Scaife was available though.

Corbett and Kuek are likely gone at the end of the season, good chance Taberner is too - I think we’d want to keep him, but he might get a one year offer somewhere else with better chances of playing time.

And then what? If we use the MSD as a 6 month trial with an eye to the future, it’s not out of the question.
Voss (who's in Corbett or Kuek's list spot) and Jones plus whichever ruck/s are hanging around are fine. Jones has to play reserves because we have too many talls. As you say, might depend on whether we want to keep Tabs anyway.

Can't see it at the MSD but maybe in the ND or RD if we shed all of the extra talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won't happen, but if there's no one worth drafting, a fit Travis Colyer would be handy for a 6 month contract. He'd already knows the structure and players so would be one of the most ready to go players available. We need more selection pressure and options for the small forwards while Delean and Simpson develop.

Voss (who's in Corbett or Kuek's list spot) and Jones plus whichever ruck/s are hanging around are fine. Jones has to play reserves because we have too many talls. As you say, might depend on whether we want to keep Tabs anyway.

Can't see it at the MSD but maybe in the ND or RD if we shed all of the extra talls.

I guess I’m probably playing devils advocate a bit, but my ‘needs’ wishlist would look like…

1. Small/medium forward
2. Half back
3. Key forward to get a head start on the offseason

It’s not that crazy to think we could lose 4 talls. I’d add Reidy to the three I mentioned before, he surely seeks playing time elsewhere. Which leaves us with just Voss and Knobel as decent options. I guess the question is how we view Jones. Personally, I think he’s a ruck - and I think could be a decent WAFL ruck in the long run. But to be fair, it’s far too early to say either way.

Ultimately, I think it’s more likely we don’t take a pick. But I wouldn’t be surprised or disappointed if we went tall with an eye to the future.

I guess I’m probably playing devils advocate a bit, but my ‘needs’ wishlist would look like…

1. Small/medium forward
2. Half back

It’s not that crazy to think we could lose 4 talls. I’d add Reidy to the three I mentioned before, he surely seeks playing time elsewhere. Which leaves us with just Voss and Knobel as decent options. I guess the question is how we view Jones. Personally, I think he’s a ruck - and I think could be a decent WAFL ruck in the long run. But to be fair, it’s far too early to say either way.

Ultimately, I think it’s more likely we don’t take a pick. But I wouldn’t be surprised or disappointed if we went tall with an eye to the future.
I agree we likely don't pick, but given Tabs, Reidy etc are still on the list this year, I can't see us mucking around picking a tall in the MSD. Especially if we're taking our MSD pick around 10 once the actual talent is gone. End of the year if Tabs, Reidy, Corbett and Kuek are gone, sure.

Also pretty sure Walls openly said that Jones is a forward first when we drafted him.

1. Small/medium forward
2. Half back

What do you think of Aiden Grace? He'd have to be a really late bloomer at 26, but he has been kicking goals in the SANFL finals last year and again to start this year. Kicked 4 against WA last week.

AFL Mid-Season Draft 2024: Jaren Carr to knock back interest from Walyalup (Fremantle) Dockers interest​

Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Fri, 24 May 2024 11:06AM
Comments
Mitchell Woodcock
Walyalup (Fremantle) are one of a number of clubs interested in the son of former player Matthew Carr, but in a sensational move, the South Fremantle youngster isn’t going to nominate.
Jaren Carr is believed to have impressed several recruiters while playing for the WAFL under-21 side against Western Australia’s under-18 team last weekend.

AFL Mid-Season Draft 2024: Jaren Carr to knock back interest from Walyalup (Fremantle) Dockers interest​

Comments
Mitchell Woodcock
Walyalup (Fremantle) are one of a number of clubs interested in the son of former player Matthew Carr, but in a sensational move, the South Fremantle youngster isn’t going to nominate.
Jaren Carr is believed to have impressed several recruiters while playing for the WAFL under-21 side against Western Australia’s under-18 team last weekend.
Not nominating is a bit different from the "knock back interest" schtick they're peddling there.

Comments
Mitchell Woodcock
Pretty sure he's still eligible as a F/S pick in the main draft. Nominating now where we can't match may stop that?

(no clue, I just know that if you haven't nominated for a draft previously, you maintain F/S eligibility).

Pretty sure he's still eligible as a F/S pick in the main draft. Nominating now where we can't match may stop that?

(no clue, I just know that if you haven't nominated for a draft previously, you maintain F/S eligibility).
83 games for us roughly, 130 roughly for port. (Very quick maths, but not eligible for us)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back