Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Richards is one of the best rebounding defenders in the AFL and Macrae is a 3 time All Australian that was played out of position last season and it failed. Makes no sense to switch them around.
Makes absolute sense, Macrae although a great accumulator is left for dead at the stoppages in todays footy. That's the reason he was moved in the first place. Richards has all the tools to be an top onballer and its makes sense to try him there. Like it or not our midfield were beaten a lot last year even though we had Bont in career best form. Change is needed, doing the same will not provide the freshness and spark the team needs to rise up the ladder.

Richards is one of the best rebounding defenders in the AFL and Macrae is a 3 time All Australian that was played out of position last season and it failed. Makes no sense to switch them around.

One of the best rebounding half backs in the comp, on his way to an AA gong.

I don’t understand some of our supporters obsession with moving players from a role they star in and are key to that line performing well, in to a role they’ve never played and may or may not do well in.

Head shaking stuff.

Like it or not our midfield were beaten a lot last year even though we had Bont in career best form. Change is needed, doing the same will not provide the freshness and spark the team needs to rise up the ladder.
This, Bont in career best form, the AA ruckman, Libba probably career best form too. Yet our ‘on paper’ gun midfield is struggling, and aging big time.

I’m willing to give them one more chance, Sanders will definitely add a spark. Harmes, Cody, West could add something too etc. if that plays out and we can keep Richards in defence awesome problem solved.

But if we struggle again this year and we’re a mid table side then I’m ready to basically blow the midfield up and start again (outside of Bont, Libba) if that means Macrae, Treloar etc are on the chopping block and we build again around Sanders, Baz, Richards etc whoever I don’t care.

But like you said doing the same thing over and over isn’t working

*again this is IF our midfield fails this year

I don’t understand some of our supporters obsession with moving players from a role they star in and are key to that line performing well, in to a role they’ve never played and may or may not do well in.

Head shaking stuff.
Not really. Plenty of midfielders have done the reverse to great success. It's worth the discussion as Richards is a genuine animal. Macrae could thrive as a half back.

Not really. Plenty of midfielders have done the reverse to great success. It's worth the discussion as Richards is a genuine animal. Macrae could thrive as a half back.
Plenty of players have started at HB too before moving into the midfield it’s not exactly unheard of. He’s still at the start of his career not like he’s 27, generally the best players on the field move into the midfield.

I’m not sure I like Macrae at HB though, bit slow no penetration in his kicking. But who knows, worth a try if he can’t find his form in the middle

This, Bont in career best form, the AA ruckman, Libba probably career best form too. Yet our ‘on paper’ gun midfield is struggling, and aging big time.

I’m willing to give them one more chance, Sanders will definitely add a spark. Harmes, Cody, West could add something too etc. if that plays out and we can keep Richards in defence awesome problem solved.

But if we struggle again this year and we’re a mid table side then I’m ready to basically blow the midfield up and start again (outside of Bont, Libba) if that means Macrae, Treloar etc are on the chopping block and we build again around Sanders, Baz, Richards etc whoever I don’t care.

But like you said doing the same thing over and over isn’t working

*again this is IF our midfield fails this year
Our CBA splits last year:

1706157020369.png
I think some of Treloar's numbers and a tiny bit of Libba's will go to Macrae and Sanders. Looking at Collingwood's as a comparison is interesting, we need a more even split I think, this includes English topping out at 80% during the regular season.

1706157295285.png

Macrae could thrive as a half back.
I can’t see this happening.

Plenty of midfielders have done the reverse to great success.
Assuming you’re referring to Matty Boyd types?

Wouldn’t be many Mids/Half Backs that have changed roles when at the peak of there game in their role at the time, which Richard’s is.

Matty Boyd’s career was over without that move. Richard’s is in career best form, and besides Bont, plays his role better than anyone else in the team.

Robbing Peter of $20, with Paul only getting $5. That’s how I see it. Would be a terrible move taking Richard’s out of his role in his current form.

Maybe down the track, if the midfield is struggling, has no depth and has no immediate prospects of picking up gun draftees, then I’d be ok with the club considering the move. But even then, only if Richard’s game has dropped off.

Head shaking stuff.
Luckily they will not be making the decisions 😉

What time does training commence tomorrow?

No training today. They’ve been communicating training sessions this year which is an obvious change from prior years.

Head shaking stuff.
But he may also be that good in the middle and provide an even bigger benefit to the team. We just want to see.

But he may also be that good in the middle and provide an even bigger benefit to the team. We just want to see.
2025 is the year for Richards to head into the midfield. We need to get our backline sorted this year and he’s one of our only constants and we have the cattle to take care of the midfield in 2024 with Libba, Treloar & Macrae still in seemingly good enough nick.

2025 is when I would look to make the transition and move forward with a group of Bont, Smith (hopefully), Richards & Sanders as the core.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richards was excellent, probably a top 10 medium defender in the league last year... but it's not as if he was so dominant, All-Australian good in terms of contested ball winning and quality of ball use in traffic (you know, things that matter in the midfield), nor was he so All-Australian dominant that we want him to be around the ball as much as possible, to justify playing him out of position.

I get wanting to play good players where they may be able to influence the game more, but keep in mind this is a player who was drafted as a medium defender, was played forward and on the wing and was in an out of the team to start his career. When he got moved back, a million posters were on this board saying stuff like "isn't it obvious that's where he's best and where it's relevant? He can read the ball, knows how to play off an opponent, and is half-decent in defensive marking contests, and needs the space to run and carry and rebound. Why would you play him anywhere else?" then turning around and now saying he shouldn't play there. Ridiculous.

Richards was excellent, probably a top 10 medium defender in the league last year... but it's not as if he was so dominant, All-Australian good in terms of contested ball winning and quality of ball use in traffic (you know, things that matter in the midfield)
Yeah, this is the part that I don't fully understand. For me none of Richards' biggest strengths point to an inside midfield role. I'm not saying he wouldn't be able to play that position, I am just not seeing what others are seeing here. He wouldn't be my first choice to transition to the midfield because his play style and biggest skills are in the air.

Every season sims are used to see if we have options that we can use to run through the midfield.

While we have elite talent inn the midfield they are aging and minutes will be managed.

Our current starting CB of: Bont, Trelor and Libba is arguably the best in the competition. Amazing that the recent list assessments talk about Brisbane with Neale, Dunkley and Mcluggage - Neale is a star Dunkley was 5th of our mids when he left and McLuggage is a very good player but CD and pure averages are nowhere near ours.

Our rotations at the start of the year Macrae, Smith and Daniel are also the best in the competition (if in form) but last year Macrae and Smith were well down and made the loss of Dunkley of greater impact and Daniel made a very good impact for a first year in the middle and started to click towards the end of the year but was still only OK as a midfielder.

We then ran various others as the sixth rotation but none of West, Garcia, McNeil, McComb established themselves - simply need to contribute numbers or do a role and despite my belief West can stand up - he hasn’t and just doesn’t get the numbers when he is in. Hopefully he will get enough time there to establish himself.

So in 2024 - Bont will be in his prime but Trelor and Libba should be expect to drop a bit - not in ability but will need to plan for around 10% less minutes.

Without Smith, We will now get those minutes from Macrae, Daniel, Harmes and some early time from Sanders (looks extremely well developed but we can’t expect a key contribution from a first year kid).

As good as this group is - on last years form they need to lift but also we need to find some tricks that Bevo can use to change the direction of the game.

Lift:

So Macrae getting back to form can address this on his own. Two seasons ago he was so close (1 game?) from breaking AFL all time records for consistent over 30+ possessions - his best is elite and rare talent and at 29 has three good years left minimum so still in his prime.

Daniel - was finding his feet and his talent is immense and will be very surprised if his numbers are not well up and develops unique plays - we saw so great stuff with Lobb already.

Lobb playing more ruck brings a change and if Tim is a bit off we can and should react - a rest and direct change then Tim and coaches can come up with strategy to get him back in the game. Amazing to me was how good Lobb was when he dropped back in defence while in ruck - struggles to hold marks in forward line but is very good sweeping and we know how good English can be forward - so gets his confidence back and this will be used more.

New tricks:

Smith is a star at his best - Harmes is just a goer / step up from McComb, McNeil and his defensive game gives us an option when a bigger (Hawks) or faster midfield (Melb/Collingwood) gets away from us. Given Smiths form last year - I think this will make us better this year. With new midfield interchange if Macrae, Harmes and Daniel pretty good.

West standing up and bring defensive energy is really important - very soon Libba’s inside role will be open. He is best placed to take this but needs to get first hands to the ball and not be knocked off his feet. Libba is a first possession master, great tackler and rarely loses his feet so always moving.

García brings speed - Trelor will also finish soon and there is your target Sunny! Today he is held back by his kicking - unless he can hit targets and kick running goals he won’t make it.

Sanders will likely play 10 games and could be anything - he could easily pass the first 2 but this is not guaranteed and he is still a kid.

Given all that we can see how Bevo needs some more tricks. The best so far are:

- Cody like Papley and DeGoey he can hopefully bring spark and power

- My favourite is Naughty in the midfield - (yes have been at this one for years) especially as a way of resting Bont in the forward line (nightmare for defender and completely different to Naughty). I am old enough to remember GOD Senior and Carey and even Drug King Hird - rotating through the midfield and causing nightmares. But just as important sometimes a good defender has a great a for you and just keeps you out of the game (like Giants and Sydney FBs did this year) blocking his run.

Also get people like Nash as targets to bash around Bont to slow him down.

Nothing gets you back in the game better than getting your hands on the ball and having a run. Naughty is similar size to Cripps and is very mobile and quick . Bont is CHB size and his movement is incredibly difficult to block out when he on the run.

- Richards I am not so sure - he is a very good player and a big unit. I was keen from Williams to go inside also - not even tried so seems like no chance.

In moving Richards we would be taking from where we are below top teams to add where we are already strong. The logic for this is not completely absent:

- defence is part about defending balls coming into defensive zone and part about making sure it doesn’t get in there in the first place. Richards speed size and defensive skills would be useful for teams with big burst mids like Trac.

- where we are below par in defence is tall marking KPDs and in small lock down defenders

- Talls: we are reliant on high talent but injury prone Jones and Keath and early career promise if JOD). Buss hasn’t yet played so can’t be relied on yet and guard has played and we know his limitations.

- Smalls: with only and aging Duryea capable of playing on the lightening forwards. I believe Scott is our best option if Duryea goes down but he is courageous without being that tough - kind of like Crozier. VDM was tried but can’t mark and that means he serves the ball up to those players. Gallagher looks promising but has not dominated at VFL. JJ is small but our attacking option not a great defender though I think underrated and often injured. Adding Bramble may have been a very smart move - he has agility and has a bit of mean to him - a critical requirement of a good small defender.

- Mids we have Richards and Dale as two stats in their prime. Buku has been moved back there and this is probably a sign of need. And Backing up and have real talent that can’t get a game like Cleary and Coffield. We also have Williams who still looks his best in that role but is getting better and better on the wing.

So in a balanced back six with one IC we have six good options for three spots. So logic is OK.

Negatives have been covered - when someone is AA level and wins their position in most games - then build around that strength don’t move them.

Richards was excellent, probably a top 10 medium defender in the league last year... but it's not as if he was so dominant, All-Australian good in terms of contested ball winning and quality of ball use in traffic (you know, things that matter in the midfield), nor was he so All-Australian dominant that we want him to be around the ball as much as possible, to justify playing him out of position.

I get wanting to play good players where they may be able to influence the game more, but keep in mind this is a player who was drafted as a medium defender, was played forward and on the wing and was in an out of the team to start his career. When he got moved back, a million posters were on this board saying stuff like "isn't it obvious that's where he's best and where it's relevant? He can read the ball, knows how to play off an opponent, and is half-decent in defensive marking contests, and needs the space to run and carry and rebound. Why would you play him anywhere else?" then turning around and now saying he shouldn't play there. Ridiculous.

Come on TNP, from memory I only recall approx 745,300 posters supporting Richards finally going to defence.

I think your "million" may be an exaggeration... 🙂

BlackPink
NaughtsJones
marraJOD
CodyBuku
westRichards
lobbMacrea
bontCD
EnglishDarcy (ruck)
laithTreloar
PoultrrBaker
sandersArty
WillingBailey dale
JJClarke
bussHarmes
VDM
Gardy

15 min quarters

Half time

Arty a few selfish moments but some genuine good pressure and a nice crumbing goal. Kept the ball alive where moment wouldn’t have the skill in pockets but o give the team extra opportunities on goal

Buss looks like a presence and I think will get some game time early

Darcy is outperforming English in the ruck

Sanders looks the goods

Marra a couple eartly goals

Scores level at the half however the black team appears to be the stronger on paper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back