Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely random but ran into Nathan O’Driscoll tonight in Northbridge (Perth City). Reckons Aiden is in pretty bad way but stable. He’s spoken to him since, and told me it’s a fractured skull. Allegedly a head collision with Bailey Williams. His family has flown out to see him over the long weekend. Massive shame for an interstate boy so early on in his career. I’m hoping he gets a whole heap of support from all of the boys and makes a return sooner rather than later. ❤️
That’s absolutely not true. Scans cleared him of any damage. He stayed the night in hospital and I was given the all clear. He was in good spirits. This is from a club staff member.
A scary incident no doubt, hopefully no concussion symptoms. I believe the club will keep him away from
Contact for awhile anyway.

That’s absolutely not true. Scans cleared him of any damage. He stayed the night in hospital and I was given the all clear. He was in good spirits. This is from a club staff member.
A scary incident no doubt, hopefully no concussion symptoms. I believe the club will keep him away from
Must admit a fractured skull from a head clash would be exceptionally bad luck. And Truck came off unscathed?

I will add that his brother was pretty drunk when we were chatting so probably best to take it with a pinch of salt. Really nice bloke though. Probably the most positive outcome from a nasty sounding situation

Gees, that's terrible.

What's involved in the reporting of this information?

For those trained in Journalism, does a reporter have to get consent from the family (ethically or even legally) before they release information in relation to the incident? Where does the Club sit in it all, the player's manager, etc? Do they also have to provide consent given how sensitive the situation could be?
Given journos wouldn't have a direct line to specific players, I'd imagine if a journo knew, they'd reach out to the club to alert them they know and to seek clarification on the extent of injury, recovery time frame etc. Club likely would be cagey with info, and so at that point, it'd just be a judgement call by journo, as to whether they run with it or not. Some stories are worth passing off clubs by running with the info, but I can't imagine a rookie with a potentially fractured skull is one of those kinds of stories...

Wasn't there also a report that Poulter suffered an injury? Any news on him?
Apparently his influencer girlfriend of 2 years broke up with him - I’m guessing the injury is a broken heart (That was apparently news that Influencer X broke up with Football star Y) - Gawd I miss Nosebeers Nadia Bartel…..

Dunno why people think Macrae is washed. He was good last year when he played midfield. Just our coaches try and reinvent the wheel every year. Shock that 2021 when everyone played in their positions we were top 4 99% of the year…
Expecting Macrae to go big this year - clearly wasn’t right last year and played out of position - maybe due to a niggling injury or something

Dunno why people think Macrae is washed. He was good last year when he played midfield. Just our coaches try and reinvent the wheel every year. Shock that 2021 when everyone played in their positions we were top 4 99% of the year…
Again it isn't rocket science why he isn't played as much on ball Bont, Libba and Macrae are to slow as a mix Bont and Libba are much better players now so Macrae is unfortunately the odd one out

I’m certain he was playing injured a lot and will be better going into this season at 100%. I think people just love to mention how Boyd reinvented himself moving to the backline, but those same people don’t realise Boyd was deceptively quick and able to make the change.

Macrae is not the quickest, but he is a smart runner to make up for the lack of pure pace and knows where to go. Our preferred mix isn’t explosive enough so someone needs to roll up from somewhere else and our rotations need to be good, but there’s just no way Macrae isn’t in our best side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again it isn't rocket science why he isn't played as much on ball Bont, Libba and Macrae are to slow as a mix Bont and Libba are much better players now so Macrae is unfortunately the odd one out
You know that you can pick more than three blokes to play at centre bounces?

Not saying I have the solution, but the mismanagement of Dunkley/Smith/Macrae midfield minutes has been a problem for two years now.

All these names were there in 2021 and it worked. Now no Dunkley or Smith… if the coaching staff can’t figure a way to make four a grade midfielders play well together with the AA ruck amongst it too that’s a pretty big indictment on them.

You know that you can pick more than three blokes to play at centre bounces?

Not saying I have the solution, but the mismanagement of Dunkley/Smith/Macrae midfield minutes has been a problem for two years now.

All these names were there in 2021 and it worked. Now no Dunkley or Smith… if the coaching staff can’t figure a way to make four a grade midfielders play well together with the AA ruck amongst it too that’s a pretty big indictment on them.
Of course you can but there still has to be some type of compromise somewhere. Libba can’t play elsewhere, Bont can play anywhere but is the most important in the middle. So it leaves Macrae as the most expendable as we try to get more speed in the middle, ie Baz & Treloar last year. This year likely Treloar, Sanders, Cody etc.

No ones saying Macrae won’t play midfield at all, he obviously will play a lot of midfield but he needs a 2nd position and it wasn’t really working forward. I don’t think we can get away with playing two slow midfielders (CD & Macrae) significant game time at half forward IMO when the game is moving towards speed in the forward line. Which is why people have suggested defence - in saying that I don’t really like defence for him either.

So it still leaves you with the question of where does he play when he’s not in the midfield? It’s a question I don’t have the answer too but it’s something we need to figure out this year as we try and get the mix right.

I think the days of Bont, Libba and Macrae taking nearly every bounce are limited

Of course you can but there still has to be some type of compromise somewhere. Libba can’t play elsewhere, Bont can play anywhere but is the most important in the middle. So it leaves Macrae as the most expendable as we try to get more speed in the middle, ie Baz & Treloar last year. This year likely Treloar, Sanders, Cody etc.

No ones saying Macrae won’t play midfield at all, he obviously will play a lot of midfield but he needs a 2nd position and it wasn’t really working forward. I don’t think we can get away with playing two slow midfielders (CD & Macrae) significant game time at half forward IMO when the game is moving towards speed in the forward line. Which is why people have suggested defence - in saying that I don’t really like defence for him either.

So it still leaves you with the question of where does he play when he’s not in the midfield? It’s a question I don’t have the answer too but it’s something we need to figure out this year as we try and get the mix right.

I think the days of Bont, Libba and Macrae taking nearly every bounce are limited
He didn’t really play midfield at all post bye last year, that’s the problem. You can have arguably the leagues most consistent midfielder from 2018-2022 parked up forward.

Like I said earlier, not sure I have the solution. But I’m also not paid $1,000,000 a year to coach the football team.

Personally, I think don’t see any reason why Macrae / Bont / Treloar can’t take turns week to week (or even quarter to quarter) in the guts. Not like we only have to use the same blokes in there every centre bounce. Liber the exception.

Not sure what issues he had but he looked out of it for a few years now. 2021 I started to notice Macrae wasn't his usual self. He was barely covering the ground as well as he used to.

One of the best rebounding half backs in the comp, on his way to an AA gong.

I don’t understand some of our supporters obsession with moving players from a role they star in and are key to that line performing well, in to a role they’ve never played and may or may not do well in.

Head shaking stuff.
Richards in the midfield could well be an excellent move. Our midfield was found wanting last year and new things need to be tried. If he is showing good signs, there is nothing wrong with trying him in the middle. It might work and the team gets another dimension in the midfield. Then again, Bevo might be more creative and plays him in the ruck. :cool:

I think we’ll see more of Weightman, West and Sanders (especially) in there. Don’t be surprised to see Naughton in there at times too when the going is tough inside 50 (as per David Kings analysis of our match sim, albeit I don’t like this at all).
Where that leaves Macrae I don’t know, but I hope he kills it this year!

Last edited:
Richards in the midfield could well be an excellent move. Our midfield was found wanting last year and new things need to be tried. If he is showing good signs, there is nothing wrong with trying him in the middle. It might work and the team gets another dimension in the midfield. Then again, Bevo might be more creative and plays him in the ruck. :cool:

Lots of mights, maybes and could well be’s in this Richards discussion.

there is nothing wrong with trying him in the middle.

There’s plenty wrong with trying him in the middle.

Straight off the bat our def 3rd is worse off. And if he doesn’t play well enough to off set the loss down back, which is highly likely, then we’re a poorer performing team.

At this stage the risk/reward ratio is way off.

He didn’t really play midfield at all post bye last year, that’s the problem. You can have arguably the leagues most consistent midfielder from 2018-2022 parked up forward.

Like I said earlier, not sure I have the solution. But I’m also not paid $1,000,000 a year to coach the football team.

Personally, I think don’t see any reason why Macrae / Bont / Treloar can’t take turns week to week (or even quarter to quarter) in the guts. Not like we only have to use the same blokes in there every centre bounce. Liber the exception.
Because it didn't work. Time waits for no one. Its not 2001. Since then we have dropped significantly in the middle which is supposed to be our strength. Rocking up with Bont, Libba and Macrae is too one paced with no explosiveness not just for attack but for defensive, Macrae can't catch anyone once they get the break.

Its all starts in the middle and it needs a shake up. The coaches know this, hence the trail of Richards and Sanders seeing plenty of time in the middle in trails. Defensively both Macrae, Treloar and Smith were poor last year.

I'm not saying there isn't a role for them all next year (bar Smith due to injury) yet we need freshness in there and I'm looking forward to it.

Maroochydore, ready to go - although why these sessions are on a Tuesday / Thursday only astound me!
6813243623ad0fba71013c30181fa4fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back