Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Hows the stitch up leaving in Poutler's turnover as a highlight!

Who was number 30 on the black team?
McNeil I think (from memory haven’t rewatched though 😂)

He’s looked good this preseason from all reports, I think the issue for him is he’s a midfielder in a small forwards body.

Macrae is to slow to play defensively. We can go with Dale and JJ as the rebounders, if we want to try Richards up higher.

Regardless if Richards is "to good" playing back, for all we know he could be better as a mid? Never know unless you try things. A fair few players ended up better when moved to a different role.
He was in AA form down back last year, Richard's read of the ball down back is not something you can really teach. Im keen for him to continue in the position he earnt.

Gees, that's terrible.

What's involved in the reporting of this information?

For those trained in Journalism, does a reporter have to get consent from the family (ethically or even legally) before they release information in relation to the incident? Where does the Club sit in it all, the player's manager, etc? Do they also have to provide consent given how sensitive the situation could be?
With how connected the world is, keeping information suppressed is really challenging.
You want to keep a secret between 3 people you are going to have to kill 2.😉

Of course you can but there still has to be some type of compromise somewhere. Libba can’t play elsewhere, Bont can play anywhere but is the most important in the middle. So it leaves Macrae as the most expendable as we try to get more speed in the middle, ie Baz & Treloar last year. This year likely Treloar, Sanders, Cody etc.

No ones saying Macrae won’t play midfield at all, he obviously will play a lot of midfield but he needs a 2nd position and it wasn’t really working forward. I don’t think we can get away with playing two slow midfielders (CD & Macrae) significant game time at half forward IMO when the game is moving towards speed in the forward line. Which is why people have suggested defence - in saying that I don’t really like defence for him either.

So it still leaves you with the question of where does he play when he’s not in the midfield? It’s a question I don’t have the answer too but it’s something we need to figure out this year as we try and get the mix right.

I think the days of Bont, Libba and Macrae taking nearly every bounce are limited
I'd try to work to the midfilders strengths, macca and libba have elite extraction /handball skills. Bont has elite kicking skill when not infront of the goals.
Have macca and libba in the guts, The Bont playing the dunkley defensive midfielder role, while acting as a quarter back delivering the ball into the fwd line.
Treloar on the outside/wing with his burst speed, also a great fwd target kicking.
We gotta give the fwds better delivery, it was severely lacking last year.

The use of all of Jones, JOD, Coffield & Buku in our ‘best defence’ in match sim leads me to believe we’re trying to free up our reliance on Richards aerial impact in our backline tbh

For mine if Gags and Sanders can come on quickly this year and actually add to the midfield - I’d be less inclined to try Richards there

The use of all of Jones, JOD, Coffield & Buku in our ‘best defence’ in match sim leads me to believe we’re trying to free up our reliance on Richards aerial impact in our backline tbh

For mine if Gags and Sanders can come on quickly this year and actually add to the midfield - I’d be less inclined to try Richards there
If Richard's want to stay back, he earnt that position after the last 2 years work.

With Bruce gone and Keathy struggling to get on the park, keen to rotate Buss on the park for KPD development against certain match ups, and try to keep LJones fresh for the big games.

Yeah Gallagher could be a Richard’s mark 2.

If Richard's want to stay back, he earnt that position after the last 2 years work.

With Bruce gone and Keathy struggling to get on the park, keen to rotate Buss on the park for KPD development against certain match ups, and try to keep LJones fresh for the big games.
Dunno if defensive pillars of JOD and Busslinger does much for me... with the younger guys feel like they would get absolutely mauled.

Clarifying I like the look of JOD but think he is a good option as the 2nd tall while he's still growing into his frame. Busslinger didn't seem to tear up the VFL yet so not sure if he is ready for AFL but all for him getting chances as the 2nd tall... just together I feel a bit nervous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really strange the reluctance to switch the magnets around, no reason why Richards can't be used for spells through the guts.
Our current set-up didn't work, the game has changed and our gameplan is becoming quickly obsolete in an era of speed.
As another poster highlighted, look at collingwoods CBA throughout the squad, flexibillity is important but having guys such as Richards, West and Harmes utilised throughout the midfield rotation in my opinion should be strongly encouraged.
Completely agree. A major problem for not making the finals was our coaching which was reluctant to try new things and when it did, it tried bizarre moves like the game where English at the last minute had the ball kicking from the goal square. Totally nuts. Still grumpy about that. I guess I should move on from that nightmare of a game.

Completely agree. A major problem for not making the finals was our coaching which was reluctant to try new things and when it did, it tried bizarre moves like the game where English at the last minute had the ball kicking from the goal square. Totally nuts. Still grumpy about that. I guess I should move on from that nightmare of a game.

Surely you realise that wasn’t a coaching decision to have English take the kick out?

A bizarre move would be taking away a potential AA role from a half backer and replacing it with a hybrid half back role, sprinkled with the role of a bit time 5th in line midfielder ensuring no consistency in his game and what he brings to our team.

Leave him there. Watch him dominate. Let the team continue to reap the benefits.

Last edited:
Dunno if defensive pillars of JOD and Busslinger does much for me... with the younger guys feel like they would get absolutely mauled.

Clarifying I like the look of JOD but think he is a good option as the 2nd tall while he's still growing into his frame. Busslinger didn't seem to tear up the VFL yet so not sure if he is ready for AFL but all for him getting chances as the 2nd tall... just together I feel a bit nervous
I'd only do it if it was against a inexperienced opposition forward line, then coffield as the 2nd kpd for experience, then JOD as a 3rd option/ sweeper.
Any way to keep LJones fresher for a finals tilt and Buss with experience if he's earnt it.

Last edited:
Buss would only be an interceptor at this stage wouldn't he? Couldn't see him taking on the big forwards like Hawkins.

So if Jones got injured you'd imagine it'd be Keath or Gardner who'd step in.

Let’s move a bloke who won 3AA spots in the midfield to half back and move our gun half back to the midfield, genius move guys.

Just like when we moved premiership captain and AA half back to full forward.

Here’s an idea. Let’s play blokes in their actual positions…
How about when we moved a tagged forward our former captain star mid to half back? Pretty sure we won a Premiership. Anyone can cherry pick bad moves from any club but it’s about having the balls to keep experimenting.
Heres an idea players are capable of playing in many positions

You know that you can pick more than three blokes to play at centre bounces?

Not saying I have the solution, but the mismanagement of Dunkley/Smith/Macrae midfield minutes has been a problem for two years now.

All these names were there in 2021 and it worked. Now no Dunkley or Smith… if the coaching staff can’t figure a way to make four a grade midfielders play well together with the AA ruck amongst it too that’s a pretty big indictment on them.
It’s not 2021 and if you haven’t noticed the top sides have much more pace in their midfield than us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back