Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm torn.

I'm meant to be on a diet and I'm due to weigh myself in two days, but our #9 is making me crave KFC for dinner. The boys from work are getting that and I'm looking at my can of tuna feeling left out.

What should I do?

Surely One bucket of KFC couldn't do any harm. Keep it at one bucket though.....

Appreciate the updates. Who played better out of Coffield and Buku?
Both were pretty good for mine, Buku took some really strong intercept contested marks and had a few good defensive plays didn’t make any mistakes I can remember and tidy by foot, and Coffield more a general in defence, read the play well to sit in the hole and take some uncontested intercepts and used the ball well and linked up offensively.

Definitely room for both IMO, from last years teams out 3rd KPD (Gard, Keath, Bruce), Doc in Buku, Coffield.

These two intercepting in defence completely frees up Richards, Dale & JJ to focus on our drive out of defence. Makes our defence pretty lethal to be honest - I honestly think this line can be a major strength of ours if JOD steps up as expected and JOnes stays fit. Few dramas if either of those two go down though

Pretty impressive day overall, sounds like some promising signs from the 2nd game too.

My thoughts from the first:

West - he just has to play doesn’t he? So clearly best 22 it’s not funny. Can be sloppy at times but not sure why we focus on his weaknesses, his strengths make us a stronger side with his contested work, pressure (probably close to the best tackler in the side) link up and his vision brings the other forwards into the game. He should be a lock at HF for 23 games.

Sanders - looks awesome, so powerful already and looks tailor made for our ‘brand’ classy too. It’s really nice to have another elite mid coming through.

Gags - bit quiet early but worked into it, definitely a bit to work with I love his skillset, just a bit small for an inside role I’d think to be honest. Looks like an u16s kid in there against modern mids. Not sure what his best role will be long term but pretty confident he has a future at AFL level

Coffield and Buku were great and really transform our defence. Definitely room for them both IMO. Think Buku replacing the 3rd tall we played all year (ie Gardner, Keath, Bruce etc) and Coffield replacing Doc. Bukus so nice behind the ball - these two will pick up a lot of the intercepting slack that’s been left to Richards.

Harmes will add a lot, hard edge bit of run and an experienced head. Sanders, Harmes & Coffield slot in round one and make us a lot stronger.

Darcy and Lobb both brilliant and basically traded blows against each other all day for the back up spot. Lobb was really great, so impressive in the air and with his link up skills. Darcy’s just going to be an animal, how the * is anyone going to stop this bloke at his peak? Awesome in the ruck against a very strong opponent (who made English his bitch last year mind you) follows up at ground level like a mad man, then rolls onto the left peg and hits up a target like he’s 180cm. Goes forward takes contested marks kicks snags. Such a ridiculous package

McNeil & Arty played some genuine crumbing roles and just stuck out how good they were front and centre at times. I would have been happy to delist McNeil but he really proved me wrong today and has apparently had a strong preseason. If he can keep up that form there’s a spot for him. My issue has always been the little things he messes up like a bad set shot, a dropped chest mark etc the difference was today he took all his chances. Was so clean front & centre. Really offered something.

Cleary - started slow but built into the game nicely and had some really impressive moments in the 2nd half. He’s behind a few but I quite like what he brings and think if he was called upon he’d offer something at the top level.

Williams & Poulter - surely first choice wings, Williams did some really nice things forward. Poulters kicking still worries me for an outside player but pretty tough conditions tbf.

VDM & Gardner - meh same old, VDM is just not an AFL standard footballer. Such poor awareness, composure and skills - he’s quick great but * me surely he’s behind a few. Gardner well, honestly I’d struggle to pick him at VFL level he’s ******* awful, basically at everything. Not much more to say there 😂

Naughty - haven’t seen much said about him. But wow he looks unbelievably good. Just such a weapon of a player both in the air and at ground level. Showed some really nice connection with Lobb today and will love having some decent partners in a fit Marra and Lobb/Darcy. Unleash him at CHF and just let him dominate the opposition

Coffield Jones Buku
Richards JOD Dale

Williams Libba Poulter
English Bont Treloar

West Naughty Sanders
Cody Marra Lobb

Macrae, Daniel, JJ, Harmes sub: McNeil

That would be my round one line up - pretty comfortable with that and it’s a bloody good squad. I’m sorta tempted by the 4 headed monster again… if I went that way I’d take out Poulter and run Treloar, Harmes, Sanders etc through that wing and slot in Darcy
Thanks for the overview mate. I still have concerns with Williams’s effort and defensive pressure and Lobb is still consistently being pushed under the ball, his ruck work also wasn’t great but his around the ground stuff made up for it. Agree with VDM and I won’t start with Gardner.

Thanks for the overview mate. I still have concerns with Williams’s effort and defensive pressure and Lobb is still consistently being pushed under the ball, his ruck work also wasn’t great but his around the ground stuff made up for it. Agree with VDM and I won’t start with Gardner.
Williams is alright IMO, no star and probably won’t ever be as good as I expected when he broke out a few years ago - but considering our lack of quality wings I’m pretty comfortable in his spot. I like his aerial contest, should beat most wingers he comes up against in the air and can push forward and be a scoring option. Needs to be partnered with a high workrate runner on the other wing though.

Lobb was much improved in the air today I thought must have took 3-4 strong contested marks, mostly up the ground though. I think he plays better high as a link up, and can trouble the scoreboard from long range. If we were to try the 4 header again then I’d look to have Naughty & Lobb roaming high with Darcy & Marra deep. Still not sure if it will work but I’m struggling to see another option to fit Darcy in

The standours for me today (game 1) of the lesser lights:

McNeill - wow, never been a fan but looked a different footballer today, very dangerous up forward, clever goalkicking.
Williams - seemed to have recaptured his poise and confidence which we haven't seen for a few years, got out of a few tough spots, very clever dribble goal Barkly St. end.
Darcy - looks very, very capable with great hands, will Challenge English for No.1 in the next year or so.
Khamis- encouraging, good clean skills, might yet make it.
Coffield - slow start, worked his way into the game, 2nd half.
West - very impressive, smart, strong hands, reads the play well, could play a little midfield. Should play R1.

Impressed and happy overall, bit surprised how ordinary the Hawks were although they had some out.

It was always our bottom 6 last year which stopped us going further, if we can improve in that area, that would be huge for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know who was running around in 11 for the second game? Obviously a VFL guy, I suspect Craig-Peters as he's a bit of a shortass.

Spicer is obviously 14.

19 looks liked Kai Stretton.

6 is Bianco, I know that.

Both were pretty good for mine, Buku took some really strong intercept contested marks and had a few good defensive plays didn’t make any mistakes I can remember and tidy by foot, and Coffield more a general in defence, read the play well to sit in the hole and take some uncontested intercepts and used the ball well and linked up offensively.

Definitely room for both IMO, from last years teams out 3rd KPD (Gard, Keath, Bruce), Doc in Buku, Coffield.

These two intercepting in defence completely frees up Richards, Dale & JJ to focus on our drive out of defence. Makes our defence pretty lethal to be honest - I honestly think this line can be a major strength of ours if JOD steps up as expected and JOnes stays fit. Few dramas if either of those two go down though
Still think we need at least one more tall as a true second tall option which Buku and Coffield are not. Therefore I'm not sure both fit in.

Ideally the back 7 would look something like this:

FB: Richards Jones Buku/Coffield
HB: Dale O'donnell JJ
INT: Dureya

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Still think we need at least one more tall as a true second tall option which Buku and Coffield are not. Therefore I'm not sure both fit in.

Ideally the back 7 would look something like this:

FB: Richards Jones Buku/Coffield
HB: Dale O'donnell JJ
INT: Dureya

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’ve got Jones & JOD as the 1 & 2. Coffield replaces Doc for mine, Docs cooked and Coffs a big body but not quite 3rd tall size IMO. Can play small & tallish

Darcy is starting to remind a little of Max Gawn but with actual skills which is a scary proposition.

Did Jamarra have any set shots from a decent distance? How were they coming off the boot? I'm hopeful last year was an abomination and he has rediscovered how to kick over 40 metres.

Mid sized defender with athletic ability is what we need. Khamis and coffield delivered today and if they can play to that ability it can transform our defence. Both should play round 1. Our 1 on 1 defending has been atrocious for 2 years, apart from Jones and Ed. Clark and McNeil exactly what the doctor ordered as well yet against weak opposition.
Competition for spots is always a good thing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back