Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

But "just twice" is by definition only one of seven players (unless I've counted incorrectly) in our team to have done just that. Maybe calling him one of our better runners is a bit of a stretch (I will admit), but it also doesn't necessarily refute the fact that one of the poorer runners.

The comparison in any case was a relative one, to Macrae, who doesn't feature in any of these lists at all.

13 players (almost double) but I get your point.

Bulldogs Players Ranked In The Top 5 For High Speed Distance Covered (2023)
7x A. Jones
6x
5x
4x
3x Liberatore, B. Smith, Vandermeer
2x Poulter, Richards, Williams
1x Baker, Bontempelli, Dale, Scott, Treloar, West

I think what the GPS data does show is just how poor we were as a team in terms of running, we filled a top 5 spot just 28 times out of possible 115 (24%). I haven't collated all the other teams but I'd bet the farm that we would be in the bottom 4 in that stat.\

EDIT: Apologies just realised you meant 7 players with at least 2 appearances on the list, my mistake.

Last edited:

Gallagher with seemingly a chance to lock up a starting wing spot for round 1 is exciting, hope he has a great game tomorrow and gets an early look in for the season.

Buku could make the JOD decision very interesting if he plays well tomorrow also, would imagine they are fighting for one spot, possibly JOD could come in for Bramble or Coffield also if they fall out of favour though. But against the Dees I could see Bevo only wanting 2/3 of Jones, JOD and Buku.

Always like seeing Rhylee West in the team too and on the field, have some real depth now in this squad. Sanders, Harmes, Daniel, Darcy, Baker all on the bench with Macrae, Dale and JOD out injured.

Gallagher with seemingly a chance to lock up a starting wing spot for round 1 is exciting, hope he has a great game tomorrow and gets an early look in for the season.

Buku could make the JOD decision very interesting if he plays well tomorrow also, would imagine they are fighting for one spot, possibly JOD could come in for Bramble or Coffield also if they fall out of favour though. But against the Dees I could see Bevo only wanting 2/3 of Jones, JOD and Buku.

Always like seeing Rhylee West in the team too and on the field, have some real depth now in this squad. Sanders, Harmes, Daniel, Darcy, Baker all on the bench with Macrae, Dale and JOD out injured.
What happened to Dale? Will he be right for round 1?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Dale injured ? No JOD or Macrae too, so quite a bit of depth when you consider the emergencies.
Haven’t seen much of Bramble, but hopefully Cleary gets an opportunity for that defensive role too.
Forward line looks formidable if McNeil continues to shine.

Let’s put the squad up so that we don’t have to keep tapping on links 🙂

2024 AAMI Community Series​

Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 2 March 2024 • 6:10 PM (AEDT)
University of Tasmania Stadium, Launceston • Palawa
Broadcast: Fox Footy/Kayo

B: Lachie Bramble, Liam Jones, Nick Coffield
HB: Ed Richards, Buku Khamis, Jason Johannisen
C: Bailey Williams, Tom Liberatore, Harvey Gallagher
HF: Lachie McNeil, Rory Lobb, Cody Weightman
F: Rhylee West, Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar
INT: Taylor Duryea, Laitham Vandermeer, James Harmes, Ryley Sanders, Caleb Daniel, Luke Cleary, Sam Darcy, Oskar Baker

EMG: Caleb Poulter, Anthony Scott, Charlie Clarke, Arty Jones

Bramble?
Pondering Season 9 GIF by The Office

Poulter fallen that far out of the loop is interesting, I didn’t think he was great last week but thought he was our first choice for the 2nd wing.

I don’t really see the need for Bramble, I’d have him purely back up for JJ and probably Richards, I don’t see him covering for Dale at all who’s our main distributor. Happy to run him in a praccy but I really hope he’s not a walk up start in the round 1 side (alongside JJ & Richards) tbh

Would have liked to see CC too but no rush on him, all in all no real surprises there - just hope we’re not planning on starting VDM or Bramble round one, please no more VDM man, so bloody average. I’m sure he’ll be injured shortly anyway so won’t stay in the team long…

Hope Gags grabs this opportunity big time, he absolutely should be focused on that 2nd wing spot rather than an inside role. He can lock in a round 1 spot tomorrow with a big game, massive opportunity for him.

I don't see it like that. I think JOD starts CHB in Round 1 if fit.

However if he's not fit do we bring in another big fella (Keath, Gardner, maybe Buss although he's a bit skinny) or do we go with a more mobile CHB like Khamis backed up by Coffield? Coffield is the same height and heavier.

So I see this practice match team as an experiment in what to do if one of our first choice KPDs is absent. And it's fairly revealing that none of Keath, Gardner or Busslinger are in the squad going to Tasmania. This further underlines the shift towards more rapid ball movement and mobility this year.

If two defenders are indeed fighting for the one spot I'd say it's between Khamis and Coffield with the latter having the edge at the moment.

I don't see it like that. I think JOD starts CHB in Round 1 if fit.

However if he's not fit do we bring in another big fella (Keath, Gardner, maybe Buss although he's a bit skinny) or do we go with a more mobile CHB like Khamis backed up by Coffield? Coffield is the same height and heavier.

So I see this practice match team as an experiment in what to do if one of our first choice KPDs is absent. And it's fairly revealing that none of Keath, Gardner or Busslinger are in the squad going to Tasmania. This further underlines the shift towards more rapid ball movement and mobility this year.

If two defenders are indeed fighting for the one spot I'd say it's between Khamis and Coffield with the latter having the edge at the moment.

Yeah fair enough, just knowing Bevo's preference and as we have discussed Khamis hasn't really yet shown the ability to get involved in the disposal chains and provide a lot of run from the backline (I think he can develop it still), but currently I think Bevo views him as a KPD. I would like him to, but I don't see him playing Jones, JOD and Buku round one with all of the other running options we have to go through there too. I think if Coffield holds his own tomorrow and looks solid, it's Buku or JOD for that last spot but time will tell...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back