Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel was very good when he came on in the second half.

I've seen this mentioned quite a few times. I thought he was pretty underwhelming, apart from that one incredible kick coming out of the backline.

He's one of only maybe two or three players on our list that could make that kick, and it was the passage of play that got us rolling. But I'm concerned he didn't do enough to warrant a spot round 1.

I say I'm concerned because it would be a terrible call to leave him out of the side round 1 in my opinion.

I agree Round Zero is one of the dumbest things that they could come up with.
They could have kept it simple and just split R1 over two weeks. Instead creating a messy fixture, and gifting a bunch of teams two byes vs others with one. They could have still had their stand alone fixtures for the Northern teams. So why the complicated and stupid fixture?

It shows the AFL committee is ran by clueless businessmen, and not people with a feel for the game and the fans. All AFL positions should be voted in by CEO, Coach, President, Captain and VC of all 18 clubs. Not bro boys passing down roles to mates via handjobs. Oops sorry. I mean handshake agreements. The role was already filled for Dillon, the recruitment process was just a cover to pretend the role was open.

They could have kept it simple and just split R1 over two weeks. Instead creating a messy fixture, and gifting a bunch of teams two byes vs others with one. They could have still had their stand alone fixtures for the Northern teams. So why the complicated and stupid fixture?

It shows the AFL committee is ran by clueless businessmen, and not people with a feel for the game and the fans. All AFL positions should be voted in by CEO, Coach, President, Captain and VC of all 18 clubs. Not bro boys passing down roles to mates via handjobs. Oops sorry. I mean handshake agreements. The role was already filled for Dillon, the recruitment process was just a cover to pretend the role was open.
I think technically the clubs do control the commission appointments, which in turn governs the executive. The issue (based on reading The Boys Club) has always been the risk of retaliation if a club agitated for something without knowing all other clubs are onboard. We’re hardly going to rock the boat while getting equalisation payments and while the AFL is our landlord at Marvel.

I presume you are only venting and that you understand this is never going to happen. Boys' Club Rules. It would take us back to pre-1990.

But they really have excelled themselves this time. They barely even try to conceal their motives. We are expendable pawns in a commercial chess game.

I think doggiesin08 and Turtleman3 are on the money.

Lets face it they got wind of the NRL's vegas trip and went into panic mode.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think you are 100% right and they still stuffed it up. Vegas was the weekend just gone. NRL will be playing in NSW and QLD this weekend (and Melbourne).

So in an attempt to try to capture attention in NSW and QLD (which doesnt work because the NRL is playing games in those markets on the same day - GC is playing 3 hours before the GC Titans both at home), they'll give the NRL a free kick in Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What seems really impressive with Sanders is his ability to spread and move from inside the stoppage to outside really quickly.

As elite as Libba is, that’s always been his big weakness. Sanders might not have blistering straight line speed but that knack is going to more than make up for it.

from the video, bonts 15m forward handball to hit a running player. :handok:

One thing I noticed a lot was at times we started to get stuck into our old school ring a ring rosey handball out the back style - but as soon as it got into Bonts hands he went direct. Leading by example - so bloody dangerous when he gets the ball moving forward

One thing I noticed a lot was at times we started to get stuck into our old school ring a ring rosey handball out the back style - but as soon as it got into Bonts hands he went direct. Leading by example - so bloody dangerous when he gets the ball moving forward
That’s my worry when the pressure is on we’ll revert to bad habits. If you notice when Harmes has the ball he’s more inclined to go forward and not sideways or back. Just differing training/game styles between us and the Dees I guess.

If they were so desperate to have footy in NSW/QLD this weekend they should have just brought the whole comp forward a week. Can still schedule prime time fixtures for the northern teams, hell make it a second Gather Round and play every game there if you want. Just such a poor way to launch the season with only 4 games, and that’s before you even get into the inequity of it all

That’s my worry when the pressure is on we’ll revert to bad habits. If you notice when Harmes has the ball he’s more inclined to go forward and not sideways or back. Just differing training/game styles between us and the Dees I guess.
Treloar is the same. Tends to go direct.

To be fair though we have to find a balance. Just bombing it forward blindly is also a problem. Agree with the more direct movement, but it still has to be to a good target.

To be fair though we have to find a balance. Just bombing it forward blindly is also a problem. Agree with the more direct movement, but it still has to be to a good target.
It's also about the forwards and team connectivity.

If we are more aggressive with our ball movement, the forwards will be more proactive in leading early and creating space.

Hopefully these are the kinds of things our new coaching group are working towards. Some good signs on the weekend

It's one thing Baker does as well, he's more likely a 'direct' player.
JJ & Bramble in the second half both went pretty direct too.

It's also about the forwards and team connectivity.

If we are more aggressive with our ball movement, the forwards will be more proactive in leading early and creating space.

Hopefully these are the kinds of things our new coaching group are working towards. Some good signs on the weekend

yeah exactly, to hit a target there has to be a target.

For the sim match, there was a stat about I50 targets and I think at least half of approx 70 entries were to 'nobody/rushed'.

At first I thought thats atrocious, but on 2nd thought, it really depends. A speedy entry before the area is flooded is way better than a long bomb to a sea of players. Our forwards are athletic and talented. Aerial gorillas that traditionally own us like Steven May love a high predictable long ball, but a chaos ball that hits the deck in space is a nightmare for them.

For the sim match, there was a stat about I50 targets and I think at least half of approx 70 entries were to 'nobody/rushed'.

At first I thought thats atrocious, but on 2nd thought, it really depends. A speedy entry before the area is flooded is way better than a long bomb to a sea of players. Our forwards are athletic and talented. Aerial gorillas that traditionally own us like Steven May love a high predictable long ball, but a chaos ball that hits the deck in space is a nightmare for them.
I'm a fan of the selectively used chaos ball. It's something that doesn't just happen. It can be practised and there can be different forms of chaos ball. A bit like Peter Daicos developed the dribble goal from the boundary.

Just don't overdo it. Every now and again is enough.

The eye test told me that a lot of our entries seemed to go to more dangerous positions even if they were long bombs, and tended to get in there quicker and therefor ended up in more dangerous positions at ground level (which West & co feasted on)

That felt like a positive for mine, but yeah gotta take into account it’s a praccy against a pretty undermanned backline. Melbourne defence will tell us a lot more

I'm a fan of the selectively used chaos ball. It's something that doesn't just happen. It can be practised and there can be different forms of chaos ball. A bit like Peter Daicos developed the dribble goal from the boundary.

Just don't overdo it. Every now and again is enough.

Sure - if there is a leading target, then hit it. If not, if the defenders are on top in the air, then the worst case scenario is long to the hot spot. Any decent defence is going to be well drilled in how to exploit that type delivery, particularly against us.

For mine, a chaos ball is simply to space, preferably in any area of the F50 where we have the sniff of a numerical advantage. In particualr we want our quick athletic forwards moving at speed towards the drop zone, not camped under it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back