Preview 2024 Rd 4 (Gather Round) Carlton vs Fremantle Saturday April 6 - 4.20PM (AEDT) @ Adelaide Oval - Team stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Brodie Kemp
OUT: Caleb Marchbank (concussion)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Half-backs:Zac WilliamsMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Orazio FantasiaHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowLachie Fogarty
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Corey DurdinMatthew OwiesMatthew Cottrell
Jordan BoydJack Carroll
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsMarc PittonetLachlan Cowan

Carlton-vs-Fremantle.png

Formline
Carlton - 6th - 3 wins 0 losses 125.1%
Fremantle - 2nd - 3 wins 0 losses 146.7%

History
Played 40
Carlton Won 19 - Fremantle Won 21

Last 5
WWLWW

Notable Games
Round 12 2020 - Jack Newnes kicks the winner after the siren
Round 15 2019 - Marc Murphy kicks the winner inside the last minute
Round 19 2014 - Lachie Neale kicks the winner inside the last two minutes
Round 3 1996 - Fremantle end Carlton's 18 game winning streak including 16 in a row on the way to the 1995 flag

Venue
Adelaide Oval - Carlton 0 wins, 7 losses - Fremantle 3 wins, 10 losses

Likely Blues changes
Marchbank (inj) out - Kemp in

Matchups
Weitering - Taberner
Kemp - Amiss
McGovern - Treacy

McKay - Draper
Curnow - Pearce

De Koning - Jackson

Cerra - Serong

Tactics
Obviously Carlton will be looking to take advantage of our tall forward matchups. Pearce will go to whoever has the hot hand, which means our other tall forward will have the easier matchup. However, this means our smalls have to make themselves dangerous to keep Ryan second guessing. He is going to be the third man up and intercepting in front of our big men all day unless we plan to stop him.

Similarly, coming out of defence, Hayden Young is the key for Fremantle as far as rebounding and finding dangerous options in the corridor. We either trust Fogarty to harass him all game and he is very capable of this, or we go for a taller option and employ Cottrell to play as a defensive forward.

I'm looking at Cerra going head to head with Serong, and Hewett or Carroll to go head to head with Brayshaw. When he's on the ball, I'd let our skipper take on their former skipper in Fyfe. Roll the dice and see who has the greater effect as neither are going to be close checking on each other.

Weitering will take whichever forward plays closer to goal and Kemp will take the other. I figure since Treacy is Freo's backup ruck, and gets up the ground, this suits Gov who also likes to get up the ground.

TDK has a monster job stopping Jackson at ground level. When McKay goes into the middle against Treacy, we really want to make hay while the sun shines with that matchup.

Walters and Switkowski are the main small forward concerns for them. Walters plays closer to goal so there is a chance Newman takes him when our defence is populated, but Williams takes him when he is sneaking out the back in an open forward line. I'm hoping Saad isn't left one out in the goal square with him.

Result
Blues to take down another hoodoo with an Adelaide Oval victory. Carlton by 15 points

Last edited:

Can’t see Walsh Motlop or Martin being ready.

I’d like to see Cincotta in for Marchbank for more run. Newman can play tall. I also like the idea of Kemp being developed to play SOSs role if needed

I think our side is far from settled so selection again will be interesting

Form of Cottrell O.Hollands Durdin has them under pressure

I also believe Wilson isn’t far away. He’s been impressive and his run and pace is what we need

Last edited:
Can’t see Walsh Motlop or Martin being ready.

I’d like to see Cincotta in for Marchbank for more run. Newman can play tall. I also like the idea of Kemp being developed to play SOSs role if needed

I think our side is far from settled so selection again will be interesting

Form of Cottrell O.Hollands Durdin has them under pressure

I also believe Wilson isn’t far away. He’s been impressive and his run and pace is what we need
Fremantle has height in their forward line, Taberner, Traecy Amiss. Need Kemp back in to replace Marchbank

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back