Autopsy 2024 Rd 5 Blundering Blues give game away to Crows

Who played well for the Blues in Round 5 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We are up against it in the injuries/player availability aspect..

We cant carry the permanently injured types any longer ..Martin, Marchy and Cunners in particular are very good players but hardly available for selection.

And when we get a few additional injuries it really hampers the team we are able to put out on the field.
10% of our list Marchbank, Martin, McGov and Cunners are perennially injured. Followed by Mirkov and Akusi who will never play in the ones. Then Doc with his knees and cancer. Walsh’s back (and Hewetts) that can flare up any moment. And Cerra is looking to have a soft tissue problem now too.

What people say about Pittonet is mostly correct, but I posit he brings a central solidity to Carlton we slightly lack with TDK.

I want them to build on that, give the big man a solid run at it to bring him back into form.

Long year, so we need to build strength in the team and I am certain Pitt makes us stronger.
I thought he was pretty good but we look a better balanced team with 1 ruck + McKay, both in the midfield and with how our f50 operates

I’d argue his gut running to position and pressure makes up for it
They did last year, they haven't this year. He has to be dropped on the back of that performance.

Need to be able to stick tackles. 4 of the worst broken tackles you'll ever see in a game of footy, including the one that ultimately cost us the game. Had the Crows player dead to rights with minutes to go and just bounced completely off him. Crows player bombs it long, Kemp drops the mark and the rest is history.

So at worst, we are where we should be

Lay out our season losses, we can review it end of year together
Not as black and white as we are where we should be.

We're just scraping over the line against teams we should be putting away by 4-5 goals minimum and now we've lost a game against a team we also should've put away.

Along with that we have a sizeable injury list ( a quarter of the list) 5 games into a 23 game season and we've already had a bye.

Things are not going well imo.

Did the freo game over in adelaide take it out of us??

We didnt appear to have the usual pressure/intensity around the ball.

Seem to be a little flat footed.

In the last quarter we tried really hard but injuries got us in the end I think...

not having fogs high pressure game was sorely missed

Yep the defenders in particular were already cooked early on, due to having to work overtime last week.

He shows everyone else up and highlights a major issue
Probably the most frustrating part is that Boyd is for mine under-utilised in this sense…

He is a relative unknown in AFL circles, if I was coach I would be directing us to get the ball in Boyd’s hands at every opportunity. But often just seems to be handed a minor defensive role.

McGovern is also an elite kick but when you see Boyd effortlessly delivering bullets like that, you realise that blokes like Newman (for all his good qualities) are so far off the pace in that regard. Neat kicks don’t hurt the opposition.

Shame that some are now potting the team/coach/players after 1 loss
It's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed after a loss

It's perfectly reasonable to point out reasons (perceived, opinion or fact) why we lost

You can disagree but this is a community and we welcome a broad range of opinion, not just positive ones.

We could, but we aren't 1-4

Not into #whataboutisms

That was hardly worth the reply. Why is it so hard to acknowledge that we haven't been anywhere near our best this season? I know other teams have lost games, but there are several who have shown far better form than us. One of them we are facing next week.

I know we are capable and we see glimpses game to game, but I just don't know what it is about this team that we can't string it together.

Part of an autopsy thread, especially after a loss, is to dissect what has happened and what can be improved on. Doing the whole 'nothing to see here' every week, isn't helpful. It's not like I'm posting hysterically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two rucks limits McKays influence and reduces us by one more runner.

Its not what Pittonet brings (which is barely okay) but it’s how it effects the rest of our side
Agree not sure why we went back to Pitto today made zero sense.
He is too one dimensional, we need to find that 2nd ruck option behind TDK and it is not Pittonet.

I’m not going near the main board for awhile.

Notifications are out of control.

Because you troll everyone on there, make a bad name for all our supporters, then don't front up to take the well deserved stick that is coming your way.

Not as black and white as we are where we should be.

We're just scraping over the line against teams we should be putting away by 4-5 goals minimum and now we've lost a game against a team we also should've put away.

Along with that we have a sizeable injury list ( a quarter of the list) 5 games into a 23 game season and we've already had a bye.

Things are not going well imo.

Again, state a position rather than analysis after a loss

I had us 13-16 wins for the year.

Where do you see our range?

Our centre bounce clearance work was abysmal today and is a big concern.

Neither Pitto or TDK were that effective at the centre bounces, and the few occasions our midfielders got their hands on the ball it was taken away by the Crows.
Their mids showed up ours big time today (and last year for that matter)...

it was like adults against kids...

not only are they faster but they appeared to be stronger as well

Replacing Cerra with Pittonet is a fairly arrogant call to make. No respect to the opposition

And on Pitto, what on earth do they see in him?

I really hope that was the "loss we needed" because there's a lot of complacency out there right now.

Our small forwards are lazy and ineffective. Allowed their men to waltz past them in attack all night. Horrid

Weitering was poor, as were the rest of our defence, but problem was tactical. We were set up for the long ball, but Crows refused to do it all game.

They took the short kick every time and constantly found players in space. We failed to adjust until late into the second half but damage was done. Lacked pressure at the source, gave up the corridor and the short kick too easily, and we paid for it.

Walker is far too good a player to give that much space without pressure up the field, nevermind Rachele and Rankine.

Back