Preview 2024 Rd 7 Carlton v Geelong Saturday 27 April 4:35PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over to the Game Day thread …

I don't know how i feel about our chances versus Geebung.

It was herculean what the boys did last weekend. But it was that incredible effort that got us there, nothing less. The pressure rating and buy in from all 22.

It is something that can't really be maintained long term but potentially could be maintained over weeks. So will we do that type of effort again??? I'm just not sure but feel we need to.

Carlton are polarising still with a defence that could turn up embarrassing or good.

What I do know is that even if they do drop this match, I'm so proud of the GWS game they have bought themselves strong respect and time that they can achieve what is required from a flag perspective.

Go Blues. you've got our support no matter what!!!
A little worried that with Doc, Cerra and Cunners out, plus Kennedy having to plug holes up forward and defence, we are relying too much on Cripps, Walsh and Hewett right now...they are really carrying the midfield.

Cripps and Walsh put in a massive shift last week. We'll need them to again to beat Geelong and hopefully we then get Cerra and Cunners back for Collingwood to lighten the load.

Last edited:
Agree on the second para and regarding the first point, it would be interesting to know if that is a real belief/tactic - ie, just aiming to bring the ball to ground for the quicker reaction. It's not a traditional play of the great forwards, but nothing wrong with it if it works I suppose.
Does frustrate at times because he is such an athlete. Why would you wrestle when you have the ability to burn most. Got the last two Coleman’s to say that it works at the very least a little 😂

Does frustrate at times because he is such an athlete. Why would you wrestle when you have the ability to burn most. Got the last two Coleman’s to say that it works at the very least a little 😂
I actually think Curnow has improved greatly in 1v1 battle of strength contests, which is good since it gives him another avenue other than just marking on the lead.

Against Brisbane, he outmuscled Payne who is no slouch, pushing him in the chest/side with 2 hands to get separation before marking. He did it to Draper vs Freo too and Buckley vs GWS.

If he can consistently add this to his bow then he truly will be unstoppable.

Agree, bringing that sort of pressure week in week out would be difficult but we just have to if we want to win this one.

Going to be a big game - our mids/forwards need to try and trap the ball in our front half as much as possible...as coming in the other way our defence will definitely be stretched.

Just have to hope Weiters plays today. He would be a huge loss.

Voss was emphatic about Weiters and Williams, they will play.

We should have a good picture after the 2’s start to see who will be emergency.

Is it likely that all of Cincotta, Durdin and Binns are held back for the seniors?

Durdin in particular needs to get some game time under his belt so expect him to play in the 2’s today!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geez Geelong have regenerated and yet are still so old and experienced.

150 games avg is ridiculous across an entire team...almost double ours.

I know they won the flag recently but I don’t believe they will stay at the top this year.

The teams they have played so far are not known for pressure and the lions are so far away from their best particularly in the wet.

The cats youngsters will fade as the year progresses as young players do and their older brigade are declining.

They are well structured and their experience allows them to manage the game play but make no mistake they are very vulnerable.

We are not at full strength but we will bring immense pressure and be very strong over the ball.

Blues by 24pts!!!!!!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s why they’ve bought back Bliczavs and Stanley. Bliczavs will either tag crippa or go back throughout the game and Stanley float. And Touhey brings the dash and use out of the back half. Gonna be an interesting contest
Touhey isn’t the dasher he used to be.

Geelong fans saying as much on their thread.

Who does Hewitt tag - or is he freed up to help Cripps out?

Touhey isn’t the dasher he used to be.

Geelong fans saying as much on their thread.

Who does Hewitt tag - or is he freed up to help Cripps out?
You'd be hoping Touhy gets stuck on Cottrell or Hollands and they run the guts out of him. One of the ways to beat an offensive half back is to make them do a lot of defensive running. Takes the petrol out of their tank and when it's their turn to run offensively they can't.

Make sure he has to go with them or he has to let them go. Either way this is an advantage to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

alpacampari-1.jpg

Early morning swim to be followed up with a few Camparis and sodas as I watch teh game - my favourite camera rig is ready to make some happy snaps in the meantime.

Expect to lose this one if not - will bask in teh after glow of another surprise.
Have a nice day baggers.

Not sure how I feel about today's game. We did play out of our skin last week. Obviously Vossy had us really primed for a huge effort.
Now, with a couple of pretty sore boy's. Who both would probably not be playing, if we had reliable back-ups in the wings.
Got a feeling, this is going to be a very tight game. H to kick six and Tom to prove, that he is the better DeKoning. Little Durds to kick four.
Blues by 7 points.
We really only played 'out of our skin' for the last 1.5 quarters.

Which is a good omen for today.

Harry and Charlie will relish the open spaces of the G.

Blues by 45.

I think Geelong are undersold in this thread. We have focused on their talent (and perceived gaps in it), but system and experience trumps that, and obviously they have both on spades. I see the "easy draw" stuff as noise - in the first third of the season, it is cause-and-effect anyway, and you can only beat your opposition. They were safe as houses against Brisbane at the Gabba - never looked like losing once the rain started properly.

Fundamentally, they beat teams with system - restrict scoring with their structures (as opposed to personnel) down back, then make sure they score more heavily the other way, which is rarely a problem. A minor asterisk I would place against our win over them last year is that it was Round 2, and they were coming off a flag. In the modern AFL, the Grand Finalists seem to struggle in the first month of the new season (both Geelong and Collingwood have gone 0-3 post-flag).

We do match up well against them, because we can score "hard" goals as well as "easy" ones, and it's definitely a winnable game for us. But in my view, Geelong's favouritism is justified (or at least justifiable), and I see this game as a bit of a free hit. A win would be a massive statement, no question. But a loss is not a disaster (unless we get thrashed, perhaps) - I think the stakes will be higher against Collingwood the following week.

I think Geelong are undersold in this thread. We have focused on their talent (and perceived gaps in it), but system and experience trumps that, and obviously they have both on spades. I see the "easy draw" stuff as noise - in the first third of the season, it is cause-and-effect anyway, and you can only beat your opposition. They were safe as houses against Brisbane at the Gabba - never looked like losing once the rain started properly.

Fundamentally, they beat teams with system - restrict scoring with their structures (as opposed to personnel) down back, then make sure they score more heavily the other way, which is rarely a problem. A minor asterisk I would place against our win over them last year is that it was Round 2, and they were coming off a flag. In the modern AFL, the Grand Finalists seem to struggle in the first month of the new season (both Geelong and Collingwood have gone 0-3 post-flag).

We do match up well against them, because we can score "hard" goals as well as "easy" ones, and it's definitely a winnable game for us. But in my view, Geelong's favouritism is justified (or at least justifiable), and I see this game as a bit of a free hit. A win would be a massive statement, no question. But a loss is not a disaster (unless we get thrashed, perhaps) - I think the stakes will be higher against Collingwood the following week.
if we win today and then put the filth away next week...that would be a statement of the highest order to the rest of the comp.

I believe we can do it but Cripps just has to be on song. He is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back