Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 's**t posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

We have had and have a very tough draw, with these matches coming when we have a few outs, i overlook this sometimes, we are going ok for a team that’s not playing great
Absolutely. We have been far from convincing, but 6 wins/3 losses is an excellent platform for a team that hasn't been convincing, playing with a significantly depleted squad, mostly against top 8 teams. The three losses were also games that we could have won (i.e. we've never been blown away). Of our four games against other top 8 teams we are 3-1.

What we haven't had yet (except for against North) is a game that we have controlled from start to finish. Up until half-way through the last quarter, I thought last night was going to be the night! We had played so well for the first three quarters - so disappointing to give them a sniff.

Still, I don't think we were 'lucky' to win. We controlled the game for most of the night.

Still can't really believe what I was seeing in the last quarter. I'll have to watch the replay today with an analytical lens, but from up on Level 4 it just looked like we completely shut down all run and carry options in the last. Melbourne just went man-to-man all over the park and let us kick to an aerial contest every time and we played into their hands. Not a single switch of play despite Melbourne giving us that option. Saad's ability to create is sorely missed.

We looked seriously gassed and out of ideas/bewildered. The guys had the same look in the rooms at half-time last week after being shell-shocked in the second against the Pies.

For all the things we did right in the first 3 quarters, that last quarter was truly awful. I can only hope the 8 day break is used to freshen the blokes up a bit before an important block of games before the bye.
That was certainly my impression. Whenever we got the ball, no one was running to spread. I reckon we hardly had an uncontested mark in the last 20min. Could only manage slow, heavy kicks down to line.

I did actually notice this too. Maybe he was trying to be pragmatic. Would prefer the message was to go out there and keep attacking and keep the foot on their throat. (maybe that message was in there as well, who knows)
That is clear evidence to suggest Voss does not understand mindset and the sub-conscious mind which is crucial in elite level sport.

Voss needs to be educated on it ASAP or it’s going to cost us a flag. Again.

Absolutely. We have been far from convincing, but 6 wins/3 losses is an excellent platform for a team that hasn't been convincing, playing with a significantly depleted squad, mostly against top 8 teams. The three losses were also games that we could have won (i.e. we've never been blown away). Of our four games against other top 8 teams we are 3-1.

What we haven't had yet (except for against North) is a game that we have controlled from start to finish. Up until half-way through the last quarter, I thought last night was going to be the night! We had played so well for the first three quarters - so disappointing to give them a sniff.

Still, I don't think we were 'lucky' to win. We controlled the game for most of the night.
we were never behind.

I think Cowan is almost there, I've been impressed with his improvements this year. Needs to hold on to a few more contested marks but his toughness and awareness in the backline is very good. His dump kick from the backline seems to travel 10 metres more than anyone else down there which is actually very important.

Depending on if it’s deemed low or medium impact it’s either a fine or a 1 match ban. Since Neal-Bullen was able to get straight back to his feet and play out the game I’d say it should be graded low.. but who knows.

Conduct: Careless
Impact: Low
Outcome: Fine

Or

Impact: Medium
Outcome: 1 Match Ban

Depending on if it’s deemed low or medium impact it’s either a fine or a 1 match ban. Since Neal-Bullen was able to get straight back to his feet and play out the game I’d say it should be graded low.. but who knows.

Impact: Low
Outcome: Fine

Or

Impact: Medium
Outcome: 1 Match Ban

Attachments

• 1715294014035.jpeg
    1715294014035.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 18
“We won’t win this by much”

What a clever belief to instil in a team before a game. Brilliant stuff vossy.

That is clear evidence to suggest Voss does not understand mindset and the sub-conscious mind which is crucial in elite level sport.

Voss needs to be educated on it ASAP or it’s going to cost us a flag. Again.

I think it's called realism.

When playing other strong sides, it's unlikely there will be a blow out and generally, unless you are playing North this year, many games will be close, if plenty of upset wins

Just like the Tigers beating the Swans

Still can't really believe what I was seeing in the last quarter. I'll have to watch the replay today with an analytical lens, but from up on Level 4 it just looked like we completely shut down all run and carry options in the last. Melbourne just went man-to-man all over the park and let us kick to an aerial contest every time and we played into their hands. Not a single switch of play despite Melbourne giving us that option. Saad's ability to create is sorely missed.

We looked seriously gassed and out of ideas/bewildered. The guys had the same look in the rooms at half-time last week after being shell-shocked in the second against the Pies.

For all the things we did right in the first 3 quarters, that last quarter was truly awful. I can only hope the 8 day break is used to freshen the blokes up a bit before an important block of games before the bye.

Yeh, I’m trying to figure what it is, too. It’s a familiar and recurring look and problem.

Is it fitness? Do we run out of gas?

Is it getting the mix wrong and over-correcting to defence?

What I observe is the contest ahead of the ball utterly dries up, then there’s repeat entries and rushed sky kicks out. I wonder if we retreat a bit TOO deep to “hold on”? Or if the slow of foot players can’t get up and back like they ideally should, so get stuck being useless in the middle? Or is it poor physicality from our forwards who might be in the right spots but get brushed aside?

There’s something I can’t quite grasp that invites opponents to give it all they’ve got without fear late in games. We aren’t organised and ready to pounce and land the knock out blow to snuff out the contest, which is frustrating because we do so much good work to get into a position. That killer instinct to end it would go a long way towards us being a contender.

3 games in 12 days. All of them against contenders. They took risks that paid off, won a few centre clearances, locked the ball inside 50. Was a remarkable from them. Relieved we got the 4 points, but we need the 8 day break desperately. Super happy with 6-3, and thought the performance before we hit the wall was sensational. Proud of this group immensely
Agree with this. The short breaks add up. Sides seem to cope ok with one, but are more affected by multiple in a row.

We were 31 points up at half time, 22 points up at three quarter time and still 19 points up with 4 minutes to go. People saying we had a poor second half or poor last quarter are off the mark. We had a poor last 4 minutes, but a few random events went their way as they had to go all out attack. The Viney to Windsor knock-on is only going to work 1 in a 20 times in those conditions, but they had to go for stuff like that.

We got 26 points up at the start of the last and were 1 goal from winning comfortably. The rain makes it harder to play "save the lead football" because the number of errors and random events goes up considerably. We are a side that seems to prefer going the "hold the lead" mentality, rather than get the lead to a point where it is insurmountable. The tiredness didn't help with that, but we all hope we can get better at putting games away as the season progresses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great team effort. Defence was super led by Weitering and Cincotta, unfortunately we had no match up for the skill and strength of Petracca.
Even perennial whipping boys like Durdin and Owies were good.
I thought the umpires were good all game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
his first two goals were from uncontested marks....Guv was a mile away from him.

We switched to Gerard and dermie on the sen app. So much better
I went to Blues Radio. If we lost I was going to 'blame' Kouta and Ang. When we were 4 goals up in last quarter, with only half the quarter to go, they kept saying "We've got this." And after every goal, they kept saying the same. But Andy Maher kept saying something like "What are you doing?" For his part, Maher worked putting the moz on several Dees kicks for goal saying something like, "He's a beautiful shot for goal" or "He can't miss that". He worked a treat. I am not superstitious but Blues Radio gets me through games...

Back