VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Sign him for two years then drop him to improve, classic sports psychology there. Not the way to treat someone.

Could have made the difference on the weekend. A lot of Tasmanian Saints fans were looking forward to watching him play.
Disagree. He has been terrible lately and this is the best way to improve his confidence

Disagree. He has been terrible lately and this is the best way to improve his confidence

💯

The kid needed a reset to take the pressure off and get him playing his natural game with confidence again. He played in the midfield for Sandringham and in the first half looked out of touch, but as the game progressed he really found his feet and showed why he was such a highly rated midfielder at the draft. Another 1 or 2 games at VFL level will do his confidence wonders and have him ripe to return.

For me it is perfect player management, to get the kid playing with confidence again.

💯

The kid needed a reset to take the pressure off and get him playing his natural game with confidence again. He played in the midfield for Sandringham and in the first half looked out of touch, but as the game progressed he really found his feet and showed why he was such a highly rated midfielder at the draft. Another 1 or 2 games at VFL level will do his confidence wonders and have him ripe to return.

For me it is perfect player management, to get the kid playing with confidence again.
This we can agree on. But even this has been something of an issue. With the players we have had out injured/suspended and the crap fixture that Sandy have had, the chances to put kids back down a level for their development has really suffered so far this year. Pou was the standout issue, but Owens could have benefitted greatly from one week in the Zebs for a circuit breaker and an easy kill to restore some confidence and presence.

This we can agree on. But even this has been something of an issue. With the players we have had out injured/suspended and the crap fixture that Sandy have had, the chances to put kids back down a level for their development has really suffered so far this year. Pou was the standout issue, but Owens could have benefitted greatly from one week in the Zebs for a circuit breaker and an easy kill to restore some confidence and presence.
I'd nearly bring Sharman in and drop owens and have owens and pou 1 and 2 (hehe that rhymed) in the midfield feeding off big Tom for a couple of weeks and get them to drive the ball out of contest

Exactly. Especially a blue, yellow and black one? Can anyone provide the history of how a Zebra became the mascot of a team based in the bayside suburb of Sandringham?
The yellow, black and blue colours of the Sandringham jumper were made up of colours taken from the three local sides that combined to make up the club. The yellow came from the Sandringham Amateurs, Black from Black Rock & Blue from Hampton Amateurs.

The 'Zebra' name was started by Jim Blake, a Melbourne top-liner who wrote about the VFA for many years during the time of the clubs start in the competition.

Sandy had a three-peat of flags in 2004/5/6. Joined St Kilda late 2008. Average final position since; about 10th.

The yellow, black and blue colours of the Sandringham jumper were made up of colours taken from the three local sides that combined to make up the club. The yellow came from the Sandringham Amateurs, Black from Black Rock & Blue from Hampton Amateurs.

The 'Zebra' name was started by Jim Blake, a Melbourne top-liner who wrote about the VFA for many years during the time of the clubs start in the competition.

Sandy had a three-peat of flags in 2004/5/6. Joined St Kilda late 2008. Average final position since; about 10th.
That’s the most st kilda stat I have heard today 😂

I only saw the first quarter of the game and Pou looked really poor and out of form.

The thing with Pou is he started the pre-season games and first round as a midfielder. That says to me that our coaches believe he can be an AFL level midfielder and a gamechanger.

It didn't click early. So he's gone forward again, still out of form, gone to VFL and into midfield.

If in the second half of the VFL game he has improved and played well then that is a very good sign. Pou is an unusual player, he needs to find his own specific way and strengths and how he can impact and ultimately dominate games.

People saying he is a bust are way off the mark. He can be a star.

I'd like to give him another week at VFL and see if he really explodes at the level this week. Then inject him back into the AFL midfield.

Got a good feeling he'll come good in the second half of the year and we'll realise what we have on our hands.

I only saw the first quarter of the game and Pou looked really poor and out of form.

The thing with Pou is he started the pre-season games and first round as a midfielder. That says to me that our coaches believe he can be an AFL level midfielder and a gamechanger.

It didn't click early. So he's gone forward again, still out of form, gone to VFL and into midfield.

If in the second half of the VFL game he has improved and played well then that is a very good sign. Pou is an unusual player, he needs to find his own specific way and strengths and how he can impact and ultimately dominate games.

People saying he is a bust are way off the mark. He can be a star.

I'd like to give him another week at VFL and see if he really explodes at the level this week. Then inject him back into the AFL midfield.

Got a good feeling he'll come good in the second half of the year and we'll realise what we have on our hands.
Hope so, but finding it hard to be optimistic about our youngsters right now.

We all thought Acres, Billings, Gresh, McCartin, Goddard and even Dunstan were going to be outright stars their first couple of years.

Some became B graders, some became complete busts, none became stars.

That said he kicked 2 of our 7 goals.
..and he got a poster too? He still looks there and abouts but strangely something is missing. Steele is the opposite. I hardly notice Steele playing. Then I see the match reviews and they all say he was among the best and I see the stats sheet and I am like, 'Wow, 30+"

Of Pou, there must be something. Just has to be, but boy is it hard to see. I mean, he looks the part strutting around, but when you get five touches gotta ask, 'what is happening here'. I still remember that glorious goal from outside 50 last year in one of his first few games, but then little else.

..and he got a poster too? He still looks there and abouts but strangely something is missing. Steele is the opposite. I hardly notice Steele playing. Then I see the match reviews and they all say he was among the best and I see the stats sheet and I am like, 'Wow, 30+"

Of Pou, there must be something. Just has to be, but boy is it hard to see. I mean, he looks the part strutting around, but when you get five touches gotta ask, 'what is happening here'. I still remember that glorious goal from outside 50 last year in one of his first few games, but then little else.

Steele is injured IMO. His kicking was pretty s**t compared to normal. He also wins a lot of his ball in traffic so you don't see his touches I guess.

Owens looked ready to burst a game open early last year, he was too strong for small defenders and too agile for the big guys. This year he seems to be over thinking his game. I wish we'd get a couple of our old KPFs down to the club to work on craft with Owens and King. Both need to learn how to hustle and bustle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steele is injured IMO. His kicking was pretty s**t compared to normal. He also wins a lot of his ball in traffic so you don't see his touches I guess.

Owens looked ready to burst a game open early last year, he was too strong for small defenders and too agile for the big guys. This year he seems to be over thinking his game. I wish we'd get a couple of our old KPFs down to the club to work on craft with Owens and King. Both need to learn how to hustle and bustle.
Steele has lost any hurt factor he had , he is becoming a Tom Mitchell - racks up the touches but really nothing achieved - this why our midfield is s/it.
It's ok to have a solid performer like Steele but you need someone who can break play open , hopefully Windhager will develop into that player and once Lyon knows his coaching career is about to be over if he doesn't do something he might just give Owens a crack in the middle - because playing Seb Ross week after week is not cutting it.

King just needs game time , the last 2 yrs he has hardly had a clean run due to injury - but good delivery with the ball moving fast into the midfield will help.

Phillipou is in development and just needs time.

I wonder how all the Ross Lyon fans are liking his coaching at the moment or is it because he can't use the runner enough.

That said he kicked 2 of our 7 goals.
Membery kicked 3 against the Dogs but he wasn't seen for 3 quarters - Owens is not being use in the position he is made for and that is a ball extractor in the middle.

We gave heaps to Richardson because he had no plan B , knowing his list was hopeless and Lyon has a far better list and he doesn't even have a plan A - Where is Basset how is his review going / w/ker

Steele has lost any hurt factor he had , he is becoming a Tom Mitchell - racks up the touches but really nothing achieved - this why our midfield is s/it.
It's ok to have a solid performer like Steele but you need someone who can break play open , hopefully Windhager will develop into that player and once Lyon knows his coaching career is about to be over if he doesn't do something he might just give Owens a crack in the middle - because playing Seb Ross week after week is not cutting it.

King just needs game time , the last 2 yrs he has hardly had a clean run due to injury - but good delivery with the ball moving fast into the midfield will help.

Phillipou is in development and just needs time.

I wonder how all the Ross Lyon fans are liking his coaching at the moment or is it because he can't use the runner enough.
I still believe Lyon is the right coach
I haven’t shat the bed just because we have some of the dumbest, unskilled players getting an AFL game going round…

Don’t want to be Mr Negative given it’s been a rubbish weekend but highly doubt Hunter is taking us anywhere - brave without doubt and cruelled by injuries - but another one paced midfielder when we need line breakers - hard to see where he will make us appreciably better after 80+ games - maybe best for both parties he has a fresh start?

PS would rather have persevered with Coff.
Played half back and played it well earlier in his career - maybe put him back there? His toughness and general cleanliness at ground level works in the backline. Not that we particularly need more half backs, but I agree that it's hard to see him becoming an impact midfielder at this point. Plus an added bonus that going out of the midfield would be easier on his body.

I haven’t shat the bed just because we have some of the dumbest, unskilled players getting an AFL game going round…
Lyon will better get his finger out then because the current game plan is not working and it just could be because he hasn't got the players to do , so adjust the game to suit the players he has.
Try something - anything / play King as CHF to get him into the game , stop playing Seb Ross in the midfield , playing the kids is well and good but they are not ready - hate to say it but I'd rather a Jones than Garcia at this stage or even Byrnes instead of Hastie.

Not sure why there is so much noise around Pou. He is 19. Let him simmer for a bit and develop.

Kids from that draft are developing also. Cam McKenzie for hawks has been in and out and subbed plenty of times. Clark and Tsatas have been in and out also with form.
Agree, Ginbey having second year blues too. Humphrey too.

Played half back and played it well earlier in his career - maybe put him back there? His toughness and general cleanliness at ground level works in the backline. Not that we particularly need more half backs, but I agree that it's hard to see him becoming an impact midfielder at this point. Plus an added bonus that going out of the midfield would be easier on his body.
Players are played off have back early in there career to get them into the game and Clark did play well there , currently we have a star in Sinclair who needs to be playing there and Clark could easily play on the other side and let Nas have a crack on a wing or middle - they need to try something.
Bonner can play but he let's his player destroy us - Sinclair , Clark , Webster , Stocker , Paton are far better defensively.

If I was in the selection committee Seb Ross , Membery and Bonner would only be used if we had injuries - you can't keep running the crap that doesn't work.

The line up I would run with

Webster - Howard - Wilkie
Sinclair - Battle - Clark
Hill - Owens - Wood
Nas - Hayes - Henry
Higgins - King - Phillipou

Marshall / Steele / Windhager

Wilson - Stocker - Dow - Sharman

Crouch and Butler come in when fit

I have no idea if Lyon's the right coach but I'm confident he and Bassat are on the same page with respect to the list. That page being that we've got some OK players but a glaring hole in the midfield and no immediate prospect of fixing that. So the priority for the club in the short term has to be developing younger players because I'm confident we don't get there with the older ones.

I have no idea if Lyon's the right coach but I'm confident he and Bassat are on the same page with respect to the list. That page being that we've got some OK players but a glaring hole in the midfield and no immediate prospect of fixing that. So the priority for the club in the short term has to be developing younger players because I'm confident we don't get there with the older ones.
Well why are they not playing Owens in the midfield then, or why not try something different and give Nas a run , Stocker , Henry any body but Seb Ross --- it's crazy we all new we had to change the midfield but they still play Ross.

Remember they sacked Ratten because thought he was not getting the best out of the list , so what the f/k is Basset saying now.

Mitch still leading the AFL in post clearance contested possesions despite being poor compared to last year.

Mitch has a weird ratio of contested to uncontested possessions. There's only been one game this year where he had more uncontested than contested - overall he's had 76 contested possessions and only 48 uncontested.

Not many non-rucks in the league have that sort of ratio. The list is:

Matt Rowell: 15.8 / 8.4 = 65% contested
Sam Berry: 6.4 / 3.6 = 64% contested
Hugo Garcia: 6.2 / 3.8 = 62% contested
Mitch Owens: 8.4 / 5.3 = 61% contested
Tom Liberatore: 14.8 / 10.5 = 59% contested
Elliot Yeo: 13.6 / 10.0 = 58% contested
Patrick Cripps: 15.0 / 12.6 = 54% contested
Tom Atkins: 8.6 / 7.4 = 54% contested
Jack Higgins: 6.7 / 6.0 = 53% contested
Izak Rankine: 9.3 / 8.6 = 52% contested
Ollie Wines: 12.8 / 11.8 = 52% contested

My interpretation of this is that he's not finding space enough, he should be having the same amount of contested ball but twice as much uncontested - making position to receive.

I definitely get the sense his understanding of the game needs a lot of work and in the midfield that's only more highlighted so maybe that's the source of their reticence?

Well why are they not playing Owens in the midfield then, or why not try something different and give Nas a run , Stocker , Henry any body but Seb Ross --- it's crazy we all new we had to change the midfield but they still play Ross.

Remember they sacked Ratten because thought he was not getting the best out of the list , so what the f/k is Basset saying now.

Henry's been injured. Stocker's had a few centre bounces. Nas doesn't look like a midfielder to me. Don't really know about Owens but I guess there's a reason.

I reckon they've been playing Seb in the midfield (I'd rather see him out) because they haven't had a lot of other good options. Everyone wants us to win games and that's not going to happen trying guys out in the middle. Garcia had three games in there; zero impact. Pou had three games in there; zero impact. Henry had one game in there then got injured. Byrnes has had a few runs. Battle and Stocker each had a little bit of a go. They've been trying things.

And I reckon the "not getting the best out of the list" was just a nicer way of saying "we think he's a deadshit".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back