VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Amy's VFL season preview on Code

Last season was a battle for the Swannies, with their four wins put into the shadow by 14 losses. They’ve bolstered their squad and with a regular supply of AFL players there’s no reason they can’t replicate the success they had in 2022.

Will Kelly comes straight off Collingwood’s list, onballer Ben Edwards arrives with an excellent reputation from the WAFL, inside midfielder Ben Ashley-Cooper should handle the step-up from the strong Ovens and Murray league, former Academy player Pierce Roseby is back after two seasons at Frankston and Hugo Birks came through as a goalkicker for Drouin last year in the Gippsland league. Wingman Koby Grass, formerly at Gippsland Power, and forward Phil Moimoi, who was on Sandringham’s list last year and was also a prominent goalkicker with Geelong West in the Geelong league, are other new state league Swannies. Moimoi has spun a few heads with his power and poise and could be a player to track this year.

Hamish is rustycrate's nephew, born 6 September 2004.
I'd guess he's only played 2 or 3 games for the reserves.

Harry Morrison (7 Sept 2008) has been a small fwd stalwart for the reserves for a number of years.

Both are on our reserves list for the year.
Harry on the primary list and Hamish on the development list. :)

Thank you. That explains it. I was confusing Harry and Hamish.

Jake Bartholomaeus named in the VFL State Team squad 👏

VFL State Team squad has been announced ahead of the representative clash against the SANFL in Glenelg during the AFL Gather Round

Jake Bartholomaeus named in the VFL State Team squad 👏

VFL State Team squad has been announced ahead of the representative clash against the SANFL in Glenelg during the AFL Gather Round
Hugo Hall-Kahan also in the squad. 👍

Hamish was number 66 last year. He moved up 4 spots and is number 62 this year. Don't as me why.
To give you a bit of insight into Hamish
  • he was in the Swans Academy from the age of 10 in the same year as Kirk
  • he played in almost every rep game same as Kirk
  • he missed one rep game I think when he was 11 or 12. He was playing cricket as well as a wicketkeeper batsman in that year. He was scoring a lot of runs and equaled the most dismissals ever for a keeper in the juniors for the whole competition which was like every age group up to U18s. The record was set I think in the 1970s. He was presented for the award at the Sydney Opera House by none other than Mike Whitney.
His coach told him he was selected for the rep game for the Swans Academy. Then he found out he was not in the squad. His dad rang the coach and said why do you tell Hamish he is in the squad when he was not picked. The coach did not know that he was not picked. The coach rang the head of the academy who said he missed a training session so we decided not to pick him. The coach said he was receiving an award for cricket at the Opera House. He said I did not know that but my decision stands.
Hamish the next day after he found out he was not in the squad got home obviously disappointed. But he is not one to feel sorry for himself. He told his mum he was going down to the park to practice his kicking. She said it got dark and he didn't come home. So she drove down to the park and found him in the dark still practicing his kicking. "I still have to kick 10 in a row" from some angle he said.
- When he was about 7 or 8 I drove up to my sisters house just before Christmas and was staying the night. They said can you look after the kids for an hour so we can buy some Christmas presents. I said OK. I watched some cricket on TV with Hamish and his sister and brother both younger than him. He would say "I think he played too far away from his pads" upon a players dismissal. I'm thinking to myself, I didn't see that. Sure enough the replay and commentary confirm Hamish's thoughts.
I took them out into the backyard after a while to play some cricket. In was late in the afternoon. I showed Hamish how to tape a tennis ball in about three ways. Just on one side. Just on one side with a seam. Just with a seam. Then we set about playing a game. We set the wicket at the back of the house. Hamish was amazed at how the ball swung and cut off the wicket with the different types of taping. We played for about an hour. The ball was banging into the back of the house. His two siblings and I went into the house to get something to eat. Hamish was still bowling the balls into the back of the house well after dark until finally his parents finally came home about 6 hours later.
He leaves nothing to chance and strives to improve himself always by practicing and training as much as he can. He is also a lovely bloke.

Team for Sunday released , looks a good side and Sam Reid back .
Haven't got time to post the team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very few senior listed mids.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Light on for forwards as well. Pleased Lachie Cabor is getting a run and he has a good connection with Cleary

Backline is strong.

Where they are pencilled in to play doesn't always mean a lot but will be interested to see if Reid plays back and Francis forward as indicated.

And without having watched much of him at the Pies, Will Kelly is more a key defender type I think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back