VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Reid was pretty useful. Moimoi is fun to watch .

Thought Magor had a solid game. Delighted we picked up Cleary.

We were just too tall and organised for the Lions.
Did Reid play up forward, and Francis back? Also Will Kelly was named on a wing but would assume he didn't play there?

EDIT: Only asking because Reid was named at CHB and Francis CHF in the initial team line-up

Coburg ran out that game better than us. I think our lack of smaller types started to show in the second half. I doubt the side, as picked today, will threaten the more balanced sides.

Coburg ran out that game better than us. I think our lack of smaller types started to show in the second half. I doubt the side, as picked today, will threaten the more balanced sides.

True. This is likely to be exacerbated

1. The Ressies game next Sunday starts 3 hours before the seniors. At least one of the Emergencies won’t play and may be the other two will get very Ltd minutes
2. None of the smalls and mids on the injury list are returning. Doubt Foxy only misses one. Plus Harry being out probably takes Mathews out to make his senior debut.

The one thing I’d add is none of the Toppies looked out of place. Jake Barto played really well and showed why he made the VFL squad for the interstate games. Hope Jake makes the cut.

Lloyd goes back.
We have the troops to rotate through the outside mids/wing.
Surprised no-one has mentioned how much time McInerney spent at HFF.
Could bring in Corey or Fox and make the other sub. No need for Mitchell yet unless Fox is still not fit.
Calf injuries are rarely one week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the VFL's Round 1 wrap

Forgotten ruckman Peter Ladhams made his presence felt down forward with four goals in Sydney's 41-point win over Coburg on Sunday, ruling the air with 10 marks to go with 19 disposals.

Youngster Caleb Mitchell also slotted a goal from 10 marks, as well as finishing with team-highs in disposals (30) and clearances (nine).

Former Bomber Aaron Francis had plenty of the ball with 25 touches and a dozen marks, ex-Docker Joel Hamling was also strong overhead with 13 grabs to go with 20 disposals, while veteran Swans big man Sam Reid - who missed the entire 2023 season due to injury - had eight marks, 17 touches and a goal.

First-round draftee Caiden Cleary justified his selection with 27 disposals, eight clearances and a goal, with fellow first-rounder taken one year earlier Jacob Konstanty kicking two goals from 15 touches.

Plenty of other young Swans were also busy: Jaiden Magor (22 disposals, nine marks), Patrick Snell (18 disposals), Will Edwards (18), and Cooper Vickery (13) all getting amongst the action.

Rookie ruckman Lachlan McAndrew kicked one goal.

One of Konstanty's goals was impressive. Can't remember the other. He outmarked a significantly taller opponent close to the goal square, before going back and kicking it.

There was another time not long later (3rd or 4th quarter) where he was surrounded by three Lions defenders (all taller than him I think) and somehow he managed to contest it and bring the ball to ground - a very good outcome in the circumstances I thought.

One of Konstanty's goals was impressive. Can't remember the other. He outmarked a significantly taller opponent close to the goal square, before going back and kicking it.

There was another time not long later (3rd or 4th quarter) where he was surrounded by three Lions defenders (all taller than him I think) and somehow he managed to contest it and bring the ball to ground - a very good outcome in the circumstances I thought.
The other was from a lead about 35m out. Nice pass on the chest.

The full replay and mini-match are now available

Thanks.

Potting the dills at the AFL is a fun sport, but I reckon they merit praise for their coverage of the Ressies.

The quality of the telecasts has improved as has the coverage of lists and news. I always have the sound on which I never do with Charnel Schvein and Fox.

Our friend AnUltimateRessie might claim responsibility and has the interesting life goal of the Ressies being more closely followed than the seniors but I reckon a heap of folks now watch the games.

So kudos AFL!

Swans' review of Sunday's game

Interesting to note that Mitchell was captaining the team

It is interesting that Mitchell was captaining the team. Normally they have a captain from the VFL list. Last year wasn't it Bartholomaeus? I'm pretty sure he was playing so Mitchell wouldn't have just been standing in for him. Also Mitchell is on cusp of a debut game having been named in the emergencies in recent weeks and especially with the concussion to Cunningham. Maybe Mitchell was standing in for someone else? And why have they not made any announcement about leadership on the VFL team (a bit like the vagueness with the seniors) - or did I miss it?

It is interesting that Mitchell was captaining the team. Normally they have a captain from the VFL list. Last year wasn't it Bartholomaeus? I'm pretty sure he was playing so Mitchell wouldn't have just been standing in for him. Also Mitchell is on cusp of a debut game having been named in the emergencies in recent weeks and especially with the concussion to Cunningham. Maybe Mitchell was standing in for someone else? And why have they not made any announcement about leadership on the VFL team (a bit like the vagueness with the seniors) - or did I miss it?
Will Collis was captain last year , he has gone to play for money in the Vic bush , but interestingly he was playing golf with Paps in Sydney the other day

Round 1 Coaches Votes

Caleb Mitchell (SS)
8 Peter Ladhams (SS)
3 Caiden Cleary (SS)
3 Aaron Francis (SS)
2 Joel Hamling (SS)
2 Sam Reid (SS)
1 Hugo Bromell (COB)
1 Joel Trudgeon (COB)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back