AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - God-tier Hands

Remove this Banner Ad

This is correct right now, but wasn’t always the case. In 2021 he was floating across packs and clunking genuine contested marks. There was a fair bit of J Hird about it and he was totally honest in his attack on the ball in the air.

What on Earth has happened?
i think it'd have to do with confidence or there lack of.

Was definitely meant to be a good marking player when drafted. Needs a good block of games in the VFL to get his timing and confidence back if one of Draper or Caddy are fit to come in.
He absolutely was that player in his first year. idk what we did but we seem to have broken him

This is correct right now, but wasn’t always the case. In 2021 he was floating across packs and clunking genuine contested marks. There was a fair bit of J Hird about it and he was totally honest in his attack on the ball in the air.

What on Earth has happened?
Confidence is a weird thing . He pretty much has the marking yips.

He looked fit and covered the ground well. Just needs more confidence with marks. Did have the least time on ground apart from Reid and Tsatas.

That’s why we have him though, tall option who can take marks and bring ball to ground, if he’s dropping uncontested sitters than something is way off!! It’s auto to the VFL for any player, so they learn, if you can’t bring basic local footy or even backyard footy fundamentals then you don’t play.

Essington skills shouldn’t be tolerated now.

I just don't know why we persist with players who have such obvious flaws.

Maybe they're hoping he'll rise above the flaws and reach his ceiling?

show_myself_out1.gif

Didn't do much but needs to play big blocks of games this year if possible. Forward line kept us in the game without Harry firing yesterday and looks like it will be a handful for defences.

fCx6r7HDSMrRvcfRh90cREWqTBI5VqL3nfRg04xKEdA.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leads but just has very limited influence on most games he plays. Feel like he is only ever in 6 contests for a game and rest of time just running around/leading on a oval. Would like to see him thrown down back or pinch hit in ruck, really expose if he is soft, casual or up to it. etc as just doesn't seem to have any influence when he plays. Showed a couple of good marks here and there but a lower pick Jack Watts/ weideman seems his destiny unfortunately. Will launch and take a good mark occasionally but then 6 weeks without touching it. I don't see how he will ever kick 4 or 5 even if having a career best night.

Liam Jones seemed a similar player ..big leap , could take a big mark but sometimes lacked confidence and as a forward and fairly athletic. Went to the backline and quickly gained marking confidence as he’s no longer leading towards the ball but being led to it.

Think our Jones could gain confidence by doing the same and going back as others have suggested

Remove this Banner Ad

Back