Past #23: Kieran Harper - delisted by the club (29/10) - will miss '16 VAFA season, surgery on ankle

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, and I'd continue to play him regardless of how much of the footy he is getting. **** it... I'd give him the 22 games.
With an additional bonus of filling the very vital position of BF scapegoat. :thumbsu:

Can you just imagine the meltdown...?

"Play players on form." "He is being gifted games - I thought we were past this s**t?!" "Scotts is stubborn" "Has Harps still go the photos of Scotts?" "At least Eric Wallace is performing for the North Ballarat seconds; give him a go."

I still think his best chance is across half forward with cameos in the middle.

He was up and down in 2012 and still managed 25 goals. Not a bad return taking into account his goal kicking deserted him late in the year. This year was just a 'mare for him. Don't underestimate what the niggles did to his overall mindset. I would have out him out weeks ago to get cleaned up and ready for a huge preseason.

He will always be a 15-20 possesion winner. Put him in a spot where each touch and his ability to do the freakish can count. Plus he is not afraid to lay a tackle.

2014 is a big year for Keiran. Another season like the one just gone and will get swamped by the next wave. I have faith in his talent and can't wait to see what he an do next season.

The fact that he got himself so fit is the most concerning thing for me. His issues are 100% between the ears.

It's definitely between the ears with him. With the recurring ankle etc, I just don't think he could pick up the pieces this year.

For those interested. I saw him at CQ on the weekend and whilst it's not the place to talk, I went up to him and had a quick chat, while he was hitting the D-floor. He had his arm in a sling, so I'm assuming he had the elbow surgery not long ago. Jokingly told him to get home and rest up, and wished him luck for next season. He replied with something along the lines of "couldn't be any worse than this year, could it?, at least I hope not". He seemed quite down about it tbh, but said he hopes to kick on next year, and get himself right.

My personal view is that if we are going to play Wright as a forward, we may as well play Harper instead.

Neither get much of the ball (obviously Wright has got better numbers, but more often than not it's only around 10-15 disposals anyway), but Harper kicks more goals and is more damaging - but Harper is more likely to develop into that type of player and (usually) has a better defensive game.

Of course I would be happy for Wright to play if he is in better form, but at least in 2013 he wasn't much good anyway.

I think Harper will be suited to a forward/midfield rotating role, spend most time up forward but swap with Cunnington and/or Ziebell when they are resting up forward (big asset to us to have those 2 up forward). The extra time in the contests in the midfield should lift his numbers and give him some confidence.

Who's spot does he take then?

Im a big fan, but stating that he should be played for the whole season needs to also identify who goes out for him......

It's definitely between the ears with him. With the recurring ankle etc, I just don't think he could pick up the pieces this year.

For those interested. I saw him at CQ on the weekend and whilst it's not the place to talk, I went up to him and had a quick chat, while he was hitting the D-floor. He had his arm in a sling, so I'm assuming he had the elbow surgery not long ago. Jokingly told him to get home and rest up, and wished him luck for next season. He replied with something along the lines of "couldn't be any worse than this year, could it?, at least I hope not". He seemed quite down about it tbh, but said he hopes to kick on next year, and get himself right.

Hopefully he wasn't drug*ed....

Im a big fan, but stating that he should be played for the whole season needs to also identify who goes out for him......

Also, if we are pushing deep into the top 8 as BF are demanding, can the team afford to carry someone who struggles to get the ball?

Solution is easy IMO. Play him as half forward where he can be dangerous around goals. This part of his game comes natural, he doesn't really need to over think too much. If he kicks a couple it may well boost his confidence. Not to mention we are crying out for some defensive effort and pace in our forward line.

If I was Scott, I'd be telling him to just concentrate on tackling the s*** out of opposition defenders at all costs and don't let them rebound easily. This is another way he can boost his confidence and feel as though he is contributing to the team.

Play him anywhere higher up the ground and he gets lost. Let him play forward where he's been successful.

.....Who goes out? From looking at the list i would say its either Adams or Wright. Tough calls

I think a mentor wouldn't go astray either. Someone to go through all his tapes with him, someone who's only job is to mentor Harper. Pity Shannon Grant isn't available as I reckon Grants the sort of player Harper should be moulding his game on.
He would be perfect.......for Harps. Why he is at WB has got me stumped. We need a serious change in our ass. coaching staff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would be perfect.......for Harps. Why he is at WB has got me stumped. We need a serious change in our ass. coaching staff.

Don't mind that the likes of him, simo etc do apprenticeships at other clubs as long as they have an eye on coming home if the club needs them.

Solution is easy IMO. Play him as half forward where he can be dangerous around goals. This part of his game comes natural, he doesn't really need to over think too much. If he kicks a couple it may well boost his confidence. Not to mention we are crying out for some defensive effort and pace in our forward line.

If I was Scott, I'd be telling him to just concentrate on tackling the s*** out of opposition defenders at all costs and don't let them rebound easily. This is another way he can boost his confidence and feel as though he is contributing to the team.

Play him anywhere higher up the ground and he gets lost. Let him play forward where he's been successful.

He's never really been successful. He's shown consistent flashes of brilliance but his overall output has been below AFL standard.

Early rounds feel like a lifetime ago, but wasn't that where he was playing before he got dropped?

Early rounds feel like a lifetime ago, but wasn't that where he was playing before he got dropped?
From memory we moved him around a lot and this played with his confidence. I think we need to stick him in the forward line, and just patrolling the areas around 0-80m from goal.

There's a reason why we rate him so highly. It's his freakish ability to kick goals and big goals at that. Play him up forward and instruct him to apply forward pressure at all costs to exploit his tackling and speed.

He's never really been successful. He's shown consistent flashes of brilliance but his overall output has been below AFL standard.
Agree, but how old is he? He has shown glimpses and we must persist with him. I should re phrase to "he has played his best footy up forward", successful probably isn't the right description.

Agree, but how old is he? He has shown glimpses and we must persist with him. I should re phrase to "he has played his best footy up forward", successful probably isn't the right description.

No question. I'd just like to see him in a completely different role.

This could be the teacher coming out in me, but when you are dealing with confidence issues I think it's best to play him in his natural state (or position) let him do what he does best, once he has developed as much as he can as a forward, then that's the time to move him around and try expand his game. Lets say if he was showing no signs of progression up forward, well then maybe I'd try him in a different position to see if it works better for him, but for me he was moved up the ground way too early; before he even learnt how to play as a forward.

He has shown he can play there and I think that's where he will regain his confidence. I don't think the coaching staff handled Kieran too well and pushed him too hard, too early. It's obviously a mental issue with him, but now the pressure is off him to lead the way. We have the likes of Ziebell, Cunnington, Bastinac, Mullet, Atley who have developed and gone past him. I'd let Kieran play and concentrate on his own game and his own strengths being of value to the team, rather than trying to manufacture something that isn't quite there yet.

Hi guys, sorry for intruding. Jumped on to see update with Harper. Thought he must of been injured with the little first team action he saw. I know he signed a contract extension. Is he in need of a change on scenery. He must feel a lot of pressure seeing how well Atlley, Mullet & mcMillan have come on. Big fan of his pace!!!

Agreed, and I'd continue to play him regardless of how much of the footy he is getting.

**** it. He is that important. As long as he is doing what he needs to defensively, both in tackling and structurally, I'd give him the 22 games. By the end of the year he will have either improved or not and we will all be the wiser regarding his ability to cut it at the top of the game.
I agree... lets spend 2014 trying to develop players. Give em games even If they are useless. Who wants to be watching the Kangas play at this time of year anyway!?

I don't know what's going on at Werribee but in the seniors we are yet to play Harper as a proper inside mid. We keep sticking him on a wing or at HFF where he is unable to find the ball. JZ and Cunnington offer us a lot when they rest in forward 50, so playing Harper on ball (keep in mind he is one of the best runners at the club) will allow us to leave them both on the field for longer.

I'm seeing parallels here with Patrick Dangerfield who was continuously played at HFF and as an outside mid by Craig where he struggled to find the ball and only offered a few flashy highlights each fortnight, but then excelled playing as an inside mid under Sanderson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back