Past #23: Kieran Harper - delisted by the club (29/10) - will miss '16 VAFA season, surgery on ankle

Remove this Banner Ad

Trotter and Watson were nest with injuries, McConnell with glandular fever. Its the Dylan Smith pick which makes me scratch my head.
They were still average players at AFL level even when not injured. I've never played at that level, but 40 or so years of watching has given me a fair idea of the level of ability required, and they were never going to make it. The question that needs to be asked is how much of it was Laidley and how much of it was Stibbard. Even if it was Stibbard, you'd assume the coach would have to have some input into the players that were recruited to the club he is going to coach. Not shitcanning Laidley the player, but he was an average coach. I also think his career as a Journeyman since he retired, bears that out.

Still got a feeling North will delist him and then pick him up in rookie draft and who knows dogs may get him just yet. That's the risk that are taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clubs have an agreement that if they delist a player with the intention of moving them to the rookie list that other clubs will not take them. The Dogs won't put this list management tool at risk for themselves and the whole competition for Harper.

Clubs have an agreement that if they delist a player with the intention of moving them to the rookie list that other clubs will not take them. The Dogs won't put this list management tool at risk for themselves and the whole competition for Harper.
Yet another argument in favour of being able to automatically demote without this mechanism.

This strikes me as odd - if we delisted him with the intention of taking him as a rookie, and there are 3-4 other clubs who are willing to put him on their senior list, is this not to the detriment of Kieran's own career that they can't take him as a delisted free agent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really hope he stays on the list!

If we persisted with Greenwood for 6 years we should at least honor Harper's contract on the senior list.
That's a fair point... As legit as injuries can be regarding Harps i think the question is what happened to his form and confidence before he was injured and can he find it again when 100 pcnt fit.....

This strikes me as odd - if we delisted him with the intention of taking him as a rookie, and there are 3-4 other clubs who are willing to put him on their senior list, is this not to the detriment of Kieran's own career that they can't take him as a delisted free agent?
It is what it is. Clubs can have players with LTI's for example, who in their last year of their contract may or may not make it back to playing. This is a way of managing that whilst maximising main list space.
Since when? I'd be amazed if this was the case.
I heard about this a few years ago. Can't recall where, but it occurs. It's an unwritten rule as far as I'm aware.

So it looks like Harps will get another year to prove himself. Hopefully at the end of next year all the guys here who've said to give him another chance will finally see the light and be happy to get rid of this underachieving list clogger. Or hopefully I will be proven wrong, either way i'll be the winner :)

So it looks like Harps will get another year to prove himself. Hopefully at the end of next year all the guys here who've said to give him another chance will finally see the light and be happy to get rid of this underachieving list clogger. Or hopefully I will be proven wrong, either way i'll be the winner :)
What, you "win" if a talented kid's career is cut short by chronic ankle injuries and confidence issues?

Campaigner.

Only campaigners here are you dillusional sods who think he's gonna turn it all around next year. He'll be lucky to even be on a list next year.

Next year is make or break. Become a damaging player above VFL standard or you're gone Harps.

Garner and Turner possess the effort and desire he lacks, and that is far more important for mine.

Hope he can because to have the three of them running around our flanks would be very exciting, but at this stage looks unlikely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back