Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone reckon there's been a huge improvement in our youth development since Boomer took on that role a few years back?

I don’t think it will be too long before sides start putting attention into him. If he keeps improving at this rate of knots he is soon going to have to deal with taggers. He is a dead set gun.

I don’t think it will be too long before sides start putting attention into him. If he keeps improving at this rate of knots he is soon going to have to deal with taggers. He is a dead set gun.
I actually am unsure how / if he would be majorly impacted by a tagger. I reckon he will be able to out smart most with his footy iq.

Sorry. But the ‘blame everything on Brad’ thing gets tiresome.
Powell is a great talent. Enjoy it.
His success or otherwise has nothing to do with the coach who finished with us two years or so ago now.
Peeps need to move on.

I was a vocal critic of certain aspects of his tenure but totally agree it's getting ridiculous.

Until we actually fire a shot in the competition again none of Shaw, Rawlings, Noble, Luff et al have as yet gone anywhere near matching anything Joyce and Scott achieved.

I'm hardly pining for those halcyon days but am getting a bit tired of their names getting trotted out as if we had a Terry Wallace Richmond spell under them.

I was a vocal critic of certain aspects of his tenure but totally agree it's getting ridiculous.

Until we actually fire a shot in the competition again none of Shaw, Rawlings, Noble, Luff et al have as yet gone anywhere near matching anything Joyce and Scott achieved.

I'm hardly pining for those halcyon days but am getting a bit tired of their names getting trotted out as if we had a Terry Wallace Richmond spell under them.

Not really - Scotts had a good core of players handed to him before he started.
We are starting from ground zero now - a few vets on their last legs and the rest all under 23

Not really - Scotts had a good core of players handed to him before he started.
We are starting from ground zero now - a few vets on their last legs and the rest all under 23

Lets get real, he had middle of the road team at best with little youth and the next 5 drafts completely compromised by GWS/GC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets get real, he had middle of the road team at best with little youth and the next 5 drafts completely compromised by GWS/GC.
They were a good team (not a great one), maybe capable of jagging a flag if everything went right at their best. Scott made finals in his third season and a PF in his fifth. He had an 18 month window after that. Would have been two seasons with a bit of luck on the injury front. Who knows how much better they'd have been with a lesss compromised draft, and how different Scott's coaching would have been. He tended to give most high picks a start, unlike alot of the other younger players. Maybe with better drafts he'd have more faith in his kids.

They were a good team (not a great one), maybe capable of jagging a flag if everything went right at their best. Scott made finals in his third season and a PF in his fifth. He had an 18 month window after that. Would have been two seasons with a bit of luck on the injury front. Who knows how much better they'd have been with a lesss compromised draft, and how different Scott's coaching would have been. He tended to give most high picks a start, unlike alot of the other younger players. Maybe with better drafts he'd have more faith in his kids.

Well i can remember banging on and on about our poor list management pre Brad, because compromised drafts were coming and our list not being good enough for serious contender. Only just last week i heard Brayshaw admit Brad over achieved with the list he had when discussing if he should coach again, and from memory that was backed up by book makers every year.

Not one year can i remember bookies having us short enough odds to be considered contenders, which i obviously paid attention to given i thought we got it way wrong pre Brad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but due to the nature of his possessions; quick handballs, not a lot of run and carry etc, that a tag wouldn't affect him as much as LDU for example?

Correct me if I'm wrong but due to the nature of his possessions; quick handballs, not a lot of run and carry etc, that a tag wouldn't affect him as much as LDU for example?

Not saying your wrong, doubt anyone could say for sure. I wouldve thought it harder to tag guys who can break tackles such as Cunners and LDU almost there.
I think the beauty of what we're putting together is who to tag? Assuming we get pick 1, who do you tag out of Horne, LDU, Powell, Phillips or Simpkin? Plus Stevo, Scott, TT and many others we could roll through there.

Not saying your wrong, doubt anyone could say for sure. I wouldve thought it harder to tag guys who can break tackles such as Cunners and LDU almost there.
I think the beauty of what we're putting together is who to tag? Assuming we get pick 1, who do you tag out of Horne, LDU, Powell, Phillips or Simpkin? Plus Stevo, Scott, TT and many others we could roll through there.
And that’s not even taking into account some of these guys won’t make it, for whatever reason.
we’re rebuilding properly. Defence first then inside out, with a whole lot of talent and pressure for spots..

And that’s not even taking into account some of these guys won’t make it, for whatever reason.
we’re rebuilding properly. Defence first then inside out, with a whole lot of talent and pressure for spots..

Sorry not sure what you mean. Appears we're stocking the midfield first which is a must, because if they dont make it there its easier to transition them to pockets or flanks rather than the other way around.
Defense can be taken care of with a well structured settled line up. Look at someone like Darcy Moore, watching him as a forward i thought what a spud. Surely Collingwood recruited this guy for the surname. Of course we all know whats happened throwing him down back.
But yes batting deep talent wise is a must to make the pointy end of the season consistently. Systems and structures matter of course, but without the cattle it means little.

I so hope that there is going be a game in the next few years where they all just turn it on at once and it makes last year, this year and probably next year worth it.

Sorry not sure what you mean. Appears we're stocking the midfield first which is a must, because if they dont make it there its easier to transition them to pockets or flanks rather than the other way around.
Defense can be taken care of with a well structured settled line up. Look at someone like Darcy Moore, watching him as a forward i thought what a spud. Surely Collingwood recruited this guy for the surname. Of course we all know whats happened throwing him down back.
But yes batting deep talent wise is a must to make the pointy end of the season consistently. Systems and structures matter of course, but without the cattle it means little.

Look at "Ol' Concrete Hands" Tarrant....got fit, went back and became a star.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back