Podcast 25 Years and still going strong in Ontario

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
200px-Oafllogo.png

While this series has dealt and will continue to write about National leagues as a matter of course, I felt that the Ontario folks were deserving of an article in their own right.

The Ontario Australian Football League is the oldest Australian rules competition in North America and one of the largest regularly held Australian Football competitions in the world outside of Australia.

The League was founded in 1989 as the Canadian Australian Football League. At that stage there were only two teams, today the league has grown out quite some way.

The Director of Development for the OAFL is Morgan King, an Australian now living in Toronto who is now playing footy in his fourth country. In Victoria he played for Yarraville and Sunshine. Its a fair distance to have gone to be a key man with AFL Ontario. This season was his third with the OAFL. He says that a key reason he moved to Toronto was the amount of footy they played there.

The league consists of 10 clubs with 3 divisions, The top division of ten teams plays 18 a side with 6 on the bench. (and of the 8 only 8 can be Australian and only 6 on the field at a time) The second division is a little more flexible and is more about developing new players and getting a game and can run as low as 10 players per game, and as many as 14. There are around 6 teams in the second division.

The third division is the womens division. King says this is the fastest growing division they have. The womens division plays on modified fields and will play about 10 games a year.

The average distance between teams is about an hour, although the drive to Ottawa, home of the Swans, takes about 4 hours from Toronto. There are three clubs in Toronto itself, with another three in the Greater Toronto area.

The top division plays on a full oval, of which there is one dedicated Australian football field in Toronto, and pretty much all Toronto teams use the one ground. its not uncommon for matches to run from 9am to 4pm on match days - pretty much like you see on suburban fields across Australia on any given Saturday in winter.

The Hamilton side plays in the middle of a racetrack which is shared with soccer, rugby and gaelic footy.. King describes the lack of ovals as one of the biggest challenges faced by AFL Ontario, particularly as demand for land in Toronto is extremely high.

Matches are played weekly throughout the season, generally 14 round seasons, although they only played 12 rounds this season. The season is held during the Canadian summer, as no one really wants to play in the snow and borderline arctic conditions.

King says there are between 650-700 players in the competition, and of that between 35-50% could be Australian. The raw number is double what the league reported in 2006. Rules were introduced to limit the number of Australians in order to encourage the Canadians to develop and play.

Teams from Ontario dont participate in the US Nationals, while teams in the North West competition do, due in part to the competition structure of the league which revolves around weekly matches as opposed to carnivals. Qualification for the US Nationals involves playing in at least 4 carnivals over the course of a year - something the Ontario teams find hard to do and still play a normal season.

The womens Canadian nationals were recently held in Otttawa and won by Edmonton. King says there was 100 women at the event.. The women play an annual game - except for International Cup years - against the United States called the 49th Parallel cup. King says the league is looking to expand this series further.

King went to Dublin, Ohio for the 2012 game, and there were 50 Canadian girls in two teams - the senior side and a development one. 'it was kind of mindblowing to be in middle america watching 50 canadian girls kick an aussie footy', he said.

It might surprise some, but Mike Pykes successful AFl career taking of hasnt appeare dot have had much of an impact in Canada, despite the OAFL naming the second division trophy after him. King remains hopeful.

** Update**
The Hamilton club is running its inaugural indoor football competition starting, well, now. The competition is 8 a side, non contact, with 2x 25 minute halves, with a season running from October 26 to December. There are presently 4 teams and 35 players involved. You can find more information on that here.

If you want to be involved, whether just passing throuugh or staying in the area, check out the AFL Ontario website at www.oafl.ca. The league is perenially short of umpires.

You can listen to the full interview here or on youtube. You can see a stack of images by Rob Colhoun here.

We'll be talking to AFL Canada for a more broader picture of the games status next week.

Edit

Another great eyewitness account of footy in the OAFL can be found here
http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/local-footy-maple-flavoured/

Strange title.
Shouldn't it be 25 Years and getting stronger in Ontario.
What with two mens divisions, juniors, womens and neighbouring Quebec.
No mention of AussieX ?
No mention of what happenned South near the border.
I would have asked about the media coverage especially
the radio and TV coverage.

Strange title.
No mention of AussieX ?

Feel free to write your own article.

I got the information I was after, and the answers to the questions that I sought. The article deliberately was limited to things that fell under the purview of AFL Ontario. Other things will be discussed when the interview with AFL Canada is done next week.

Importantly though These articles arent written with knowledgeable people in mind, they are aimed at people that generally dont follow the international scene.

The article deliberately was limited to things that fell under the purview of AFL Ontario.

"No mention of AussieX ?
the radio and TV coverage"

These are specifically OAFL subjects.

** Update**
The Hamilton club is running its inaugural indoor football competition starting, well, now. The competition is 8 a side, non contact, with 2x 25 minute halves, with a season running from October 26 to December. There are presently 4 teams and 35 players involved. Ottawa run a far less formal indoor pickup game according to Morgan.

Strange title.
No mention of AussieX ?

Re Aussie X - Morgan says they did not operate with the OAFL this year - although they have before and may well do again. They run a separate for profit business. Junior programs in British Columbia and AFL Quebec are outside the purview of this article - as in AFL Ontario has nothing to do with it. I will attempt to address these with the President of AFL Canada on the morrow.

Re Aussie X - Morgan says they did not operate with the OAFL this year - although they have before and may well do again. They run a separate for profit business. Junior programs in British Columbia and AFL Quebec are outside the purview of this article - as in AFL Ontario has nothing to do with it. I will attempt to address these with the President of AFL Canada on the morrow.

Junior programs in the North Delta obviously are separate as they were set up by an individual of BCFooty and I can find no examples of AussieX outside of Ottawa even though they make reference to to it. AussieX was a big thing when it eventuated especially being a commercial enterprise but seems to have gone off the radar. They seemed to have great plans relevant to AR but commercial reality has probably set in.
I would have thought the OAFL might have liked to spruilk it's involvment with the Quebec team.
Apparantly not.

One question a lot of people are asking is why the women have a national tournament and the men don't.
IMO it's because the relatively low number of womens teams atm point to a tournment whereas the men have to decent competitions(West & East) and feel the cost is not warranted.

One question a lot of people are asking is why the women have a national tournament and the men don't.
IMO it's because the relatively low number of womens teams atm point to a tournment whereas the men have to decent competitions(West & East) and feel the cost is not warranted.

I did specifically ask this question myself, but you'll have to wait until ive done the AFL canada article for the answer to that. We discussed AussieX at some length as well - The President read this thread apparently so was prepared, but again you'll need to wait for the article.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did specifically ask this question myself, but you'll have to wait until ive done the AFL canada article for the answer to that. We discussed AussieX at some length as well - The President read this thread apparently so was prepared, but again you'll need to wait for the article.

Fine. I'm not expecting immediate responses but getting some detail is great.
These are basically questions in the back of my mind but not neccessarily important to others or subjects in itself.
Like media. An increasing number of clubs/leagues are filming events and streaming them.
I believe the OAFL had some sort of radio coverage and they have "Roger's TV" on their banner.
I'm presuming that is something like we call community TV.

IMO the measure of football development is probably the reverse of normal thinking.
A club is established. It is the national team. Then more clubs are established and then more leagues.
So the measure is not so much how the national team is going but rather how much grassroots exists like junior football and women's football.

Of course the AFL has instituted some large scale programs starting with Auskick where there will be attrition rates and the question is how many will reach community football.

Fine. I'm not expecting immediate responses but getting some detail is great.
These are basically questions in the back of my mind but not neccessarily important to others or subjects in itself.
Like media. An increasing number of clubs/leagues are filming events and streaming them.
I believe the OAFL had some sort of radio coverage and they have "Roger's TV" on their banner.
I'm presuming that is something like we call community TV.

IMO the measure of football development is probably the reverse of normal thinking.
A club is established. It is the national team. Then more clubs are established and then more leagues.
So the measure is not so much how the national team is going but rather how much grassroots exists like junior football and women's football.

Of course the AFL has instituted some large scale programs starting with Auskick where there will be attrition rates and the question is how many will reach community football.

Rogerstv films almost exclusively the toronto games, although they've apparently been out to ottawa once or twice. It is community tv, also covers cricket, table tennis and other minority sports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back