Past #26: Daniel Nielson - won't be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Dan

Remove this Banner Ad

Solid pick, but don't really get it on a needs basis, especially after picking Durdin with our first pick.

The biggest thing that stands out to me is his ability to read the flight of the footy and his closing speed. very important in today's game as a defender.

We certainly appear to have stocked up down back for the future, and I presume Nielson's acquisition is done with LMac and JMac going further up field in mind down the track.

Seems there's a bit of Mitch Wilkins about this guy in that not many knew of him pre-draft.

Nothing like him, he played all the games for Vic Metro and the Eastern Ranges.

Wilkins played a handful of schoolboy games when not injured.

We certainly appear to have stocked up down back for the future, and I presume Nielson's acquisition is done with LMac and JMac going further up field in mind down the track.

EVW would more be a replacement for Luke and Jamie.

Nielson is boarding on 6"5, he doesn't look like that in his vision, but he's 6"4 and definitely a genuine key back, similar size to S.Thompson really.

EVW would more be a replacement for Luke and Jamie.

Nielson is boarding on 6"5, he doesn't look like that in his vision, but he's 6"4 and definitely a genuine key back, similar size to S.Thompson really.

This bloke hits me as a pure full back ala Maxy Hudghton/Ted Richards mold, ie not the most glamorous but extremely reliable, and that's what you need in a KPD type, not the pace and outside ball use everyone looses their load over pre draft, which may also go some way to explaining why to most he is relatively unknown. Probably won't impact AFL level for another 3 years but i think will be definitely one to watch develop. Get in the GYM young lad.

That pick suggests that we're perhaps looking to bookend the team with Durdin up front and Bridgette down back maybe?

Either way if Black and Brown come on as a forwards and Spare Keys and Bridgette develop as backs to help out Scott T and Loogie it offers tantalising opportunities for Durdin at either end of the park.

That pick suggests that we're perhaps looking to bookend the team with Durdin up front and Bridgette down back maybe?

Either way if Black and Brown come on as a forwards and Spare Keys and Bridgette develop as backs to help out Scott T and Loogie it offers tantalising opportunities for Durdin at either end of the park.
If Delaney ever comes back.

We have added a bit of defensive versatility with this pick I reckon. Looks like he is capable of playing small and tall with his athleticism. He also looks like he will develop into a big lad too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like a very strong overhead mark from his highlights video. Very fast, looks strong and already weighs 90kg. I like this pick.
Will be groomed to be our future FB but I can see him getting games in his first three years playing a role similar to how Firrito played his best footy for us this year.

Actually looks like he plays very similarly to our Spud right now. First instinct is to rebound, looks good in traffic and reads the play well. Bigger, faster and better over head but not sure if he will end up finding the ball as much and doesn't look to have as much penetration in his kick

Bryce Lewis says: “He’s your powerful, strong, last-line key defender. He’s a guy that you know will get the job done.

“At the National Combine he was third overall for repeat speed. So that’s the stop-start, on the lead, closing speed.

“We see him playing on the power forwards in time. He was a Vic Metro representative and really developed well under Darren Bewick at the Eastern Ranges.”

“It’s important to note that while it was an area of the ground we could address, we didn’t reach. We thought legitimately he was a pick 25.”

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-11-27/pick-25-daniel-nielson

Apparently the first player of German origin picked in this years draft. Plus we got mr Volkswagen beetle, we are doing alright with our German stock. Soon we'll be more German than the Camry crows.

Apparently the first player of German origin picked in this years draft. Plus we got mr Volkswagen beetle, we are doing alright with our German stock. Soon we'll be more German than the Camry crows.
He comes from the land of chocolate. La la, la la la la, la la ...

What are we culture Club:)
First American, Sudanese and now German. I hope we don't play any Home and away games there

Pretty happy overall with this draft and this pick. Durdin and Nielson are the CHB/FB of the future when Grima, Firrito and Thompson give it up. If Lewis thinks he's capable of playing on gorillas, I'm happy to back him in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back