Past #26: Daniel Nielson - won't be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Dan

Remove this Banner Ad

162409-0c5a27b2-83dd-11e4-b7a3-5366c32c384a.jpg

Vincent-Cassel-vincent-cassel-18987235-442-633.jpg
Vinnie Cassel is his dad?

Good to hear OE. Daniel is the one I'm expecting to do well, sooner. Strikes me as having a fair bit of Shinboner Spirit about him - if I may still use that term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article on the NMFC website:

Taking on the best

090215_NielsonLarge.jpg

Recruit Daniel Nielson has enjoyed a gruelling test of his progress, matching up on forwards Drew Petrie and Jarrad Waite at training on Monday.

The 18-year-old, who was selected with pick No.25 in last year’s draft, was put through his paces against the Roos’ two key forwards during game sense drills at Arden Street.

Nielson said he relished the challenge of coming up against the experienced pair, labelling it a “great experience.

It shows, amongst other things, the additional value of the likes of Drew still being around. It's what happens on the training track, not just on the field.

He shall prove me wrong in regards to my indifference.

i wasn't stoked when I heard his name called out, there were a number of players who I considered better picks. I seriously think though that he could be a diamond. His skills aren't the best but I think he has all the attributes to be a gun full back. The club is seriously impressed with his aggression, and competitiveness from what i've heard.

i wasn't stoked when I heard his name called out, there were a number of players who I considered better picks. I seriously think though that he could be a diamond. His skills aren't the best but I think he has all the attributes to be a gun full back. The club is seriously impressed with his aggression, and competitiveness from what i've heard.

Lets face it, being a backman is completely different to being a forward.

A backman depends a lot on what you are born with, sure there is a lot of learning to go under the bridge in terms of reading of the play, zoning, body spoils etc, but you need that base athleticism to even be in the game.

Even the older fullbacks like Scarlett and Silvagni, whilst not appearing really athletic, were freaks, both are two of the strongest players through the core I think I've ever seen.

Nielson has a bit of that freaky athleticism, the rest is down to how well he adepts to the AFL game style.

You could see it in the highlight clip I reckon. This guy takes over for Spud initially, and probably Scooter down the track.

Lets face it, being a backman is completely different to being a forward.
Exactly. The qualities you look for are different too.

A backman depends a lot on what you are born with, sure there is a lot of learning to go under the bridge in terms of reading of the play, zoning, body spoils etc, but you need that base athleticism to even be in the game.

Nielson has a bit of that freaky athleticism, the rest is down to how well he adepts to the AFL game style.
He looks to be doing okay so far...

359132-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Reminds me a bit of how Sugar went full bore at training last year and the senior guys were caught off guard by the aggressive teenager. Really looks like 'crazy horse' Nielsen was making Dish work for his footy. Love it.

BTW what's his nickname at the club?

Nothing's changed from when we drafted him. We knew he was fast, strong and competitive. I still have major concerns over using pick 25 on a 193cm full back given we're going into an era of 200cm forwards (Carlisle, Boyd, Patton, Wright, Lynch, Dixon, Daniher, Moore). If he can't go with them he can't play because his skills are so bad he has to be a complete lockdown defender.

You'd also be reluctant to use him and Tippett in the same side. You can't really get away with two players who offer absolutely nothing offensively. I suspect Taz will be in the same basket. We've been spoilt with Thompson and Grima who are two of the better rebounding KPDs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back