AFL Player #27: Mason Redman šŸ•

Remove this Banner Ad

Punching people in the jaw in front of the umps at the contest āœ…
IMG_9541.jpeg
Pushing someone and making contact above the head off the ball āŒ
IMG_9542.jpeg

Everyone is saying it's dumb or weak. Let me ask, what's the argument that gets it downgraded to a fine? It was low impact. Can't get lower. It was graded intentional. Hard to argue against that. It's hard to see how we win, which is the issue.
Well he is pushing with an open palm to his upper arm and it slips high because Newcombe tries to grab him simultaneously. I don't think that should be graded as intentional because you can literally see what his intent was before
Newcombe's action directed his hand to hit him high.

I don't see why they don't try with no risk of increasing his suspension.

Well he is pushing with an open palm to his upper arm and it slips high because Newcombe tries to grab him simultaneously. I don't think that should be graded as intentional because you can literally see what his intent was before
Newcombe's action directed his hand to hit him high.

I don't see why they don't try with no risk of increasing his suspension.

heā€™s going by The Doss now is he? what a w***er

So Hewett was deemed to be on the ball/in the contest/however they want to define it?

Seems a dud rule. Essentially because Hewett was near a ball up he was allowed to whack him in the face. Which was more of a punch to the jaw. Redmanā€™s was barely more than a jumper punch, with Newcombe laughed about afterwards cos he sucked him in.

Makes it a bit of a grey area to me

essentially if you want to belt someone do it near the ball and you're all good.

Anyone moaning about the Redman suspension needs to pay a little more attention.

The AFL effectively closed the loop on off the ball strikjng motions over summer in February.

See:

Mason struck him with both arms, 50m off the ball and ended up getting him high.

Its a pretty straight forward week off, and i dont know what way you could argue it to get him off with a fine without sounding like an idiot (like trying to argue it wasnt a strike).

Edit: See post by Phone above
Until it comes to finals time and a big name player does the same/similar thing and will get off

Picked a dreadful week to do it. Having someone that can punch flat missiles out of the back 50 is most important at the SCG and we really have no one else that can do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if there's one word to describe reddog, it's consistent.

he never has a bad game, and he always plays extremely well. he's very important to our team

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Look I love Redman and think he is AA quality but there is no denying that when he is off he is ******* atrocious.

Key for him is not having his annual two stinkers.
I think you've nailed it. His off games are rare but when he has them they're pretty ordinary and often ends up with him becoming undisciplined rather than playing with his usual aggressive edge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back