Delisted 27 . Sam Menegola (2016 - 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

I don't think he's a depth player, he's got some quality. Sure, he won't push out the star mids we have, but given a chance he maybe tough to push back to the vfl.

In the vid, good ball user, has pace, kicks goals, gets dirty and is strong overhead. Tick, tick, tick. Good pick.

From the stories in the west Aussie papers, he wasn't expecting another chance, so he should come across with hunger to perform.

"But his coach at Subiaco, former West Coast, Port Adelaide and Fremantle midfielder Jarrad Schofield, was certain that he had the attributes to make it in the big time.

“He kicks goals, he gets clearances. He was always a natural forward as a junior,” Schofield said.

“Now what we’re seeing with his game is his inside work an an on-baller, and because of his elite endurance he posts big numbers.

“He’s always getting his 30-plus possessions because of his high work ethic and his running capabilities are AFL standard.”
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-11-24/get-to-know-sam-menegola

;)

With Johnson and Stokes gone and Kersten and Menzel not so certain to lock down the medium forward role he well may prove a revelation, his run and goal kicking talents looks obvious in that video. Wells made a great call with Sam.

Last edited:
I don't think he's a depth player, he's got some quality. Sure, he won't push out the star mids we have, but given a chance he maybe tough to push back to the vfl.

In the vid, good ball user, has pace, kicks goals, gets dirty and is strong overhead. Tick, tick, tick. Good pick.

From the stories in the west Aussie papers, he wasn't expecting another chance, so he should come across with hunger to perform.

Sure, he won't push out the star mids we have, but given a chance he maybe tough to push back to the vfl.

He'll start his journey as depth, but no!....I agree he's better than that,..no worries! Mid/HFF/FP, nothing is locked down by that younger group.
I rate him a real chance to play seniors 2016 a masterful selection.

Last edited:
Re his kicking.
It's almost like he holds the ball differently with every kick in that short vid.
Would be good to see his hand balling.

Smokey for rd1 against one of his old clubs if the tank is up to it.I think he and the Buzzard will hold the most interest of the new boys in the preseason.

He is known for top end endurance. Don't think that will be his issue in cracking a game.

Re his kicking.
It's almost like he holds the ball differently with every kick in that short vid.
Would be good to see his hand balling.
He might be like that other bloke we had that started with the Hawks, can't think of his name started with A,may not hand ball to much.

good depth for the vfl
clip_009.gif

He is known for top end endurance. Don't think that will be his issue in cracking a game.
That's great, so at 188cm a versatile forward / run through the middle type if Scott Selwood is under prepared he's a chance,he also makes life more difficult for Kersten IMO who I see more as a one trick pony and to easily closed down.Good pickup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's great, so at 188cm a versatile forward / run through the middle type if Scott Selwood is under prepared he's a chance,he also makes life more difficult for Kersten IMO who I see more as a one trick pony and to easily closed down.Good pickup.

From memory the year he was at Hawthorn (don't remember him at Freo) they played him as HFF whereas at Subi they have used his gut running to transfer him into a clearance midfielder who can get it on the outside. I think probably he is there to be an upgrade on our midfield depth options (i.e. Gore and Jansen getting traded, upgrade on Cowan etc) which I think he is and also insurance for Scooter. But yes you would think med fwd might also be a go for him as on the highlights he is a good mark with a long kick and Kersten's lack of endurance will be a hinderance for him with the cap coming in, so Menegola has it there. At his age you would think we will play him in all the NAB games and see how he goes.

I am not expecting that much from any of ND picks this year. If they are good VFL players that would be for me good enough at this stage. We need our VFL to do well - help create that winning culture in the young guys.

However if they do well at VFL level who knows ?

I thought the guy we got with pick 60 + two years ago (aboriginal player who retired from the AFL) was going to make it after I saw him last season - but he gave it away. So being a high pick does not mean they cannot make it. But to push out someone when there are so many ahead of them and the competition for spots should be the best it has been in years - seems to be asking a fair amount. But on the other side who would have thought Gregson would arrive and play nearly every senior game in his first year ?

Last edited:
I think with the interchange cap, Wells decided that we needed to go for midfielder's that can float forward and rotate through that part of the ground. This guy looks like he can fill that role. So too can a number of our midfielders - Danger, Selwood, Duncan, Motlop, Lang, Blicavs, Caddy, etc.

Does anyone know if Menegola was being used as a midfielder at the Hawks and Fremantle? It sounded like he was a forward, and only recently switched to the midfield... but not sure of this.

Interesting choice. Was a stand out in the WAFL but thought his time had come and gone. Killed my lot in the grand final singlehandedly.

So did he apparently from the few articles that I have read.

Seriously guys i think you will be very, very pleasantly suprised with Sam. All the parts of his game sort of clicked together this year in the wafl and he went from being an athletic outside mid / hff / hbf to an inside mid and dominated. Genuinely think he will play round 1 of next year for you even if Scooter is fit.

I think with the interchange cap, Wells decided that we needed to go for midfielder's that can float forward and rotate through that part of the ground. This guy looks like he can fill that role. So too can a number of our midfielders - Danger, Selwood, Duncan, Motlop, Lang, Blicavs, Caddy, etc.

Does anyone know if Menegola was being used as a midfielder at the Hawks and Fremantle? It sounded like he was a forward, and only recently switched to the midfield... but not sure of this.
He was a half forward, went back to the WAFL and transitioned into a dominant mid.

Hows his pace Bojangles?

It was something I didn't notice, he was just always in a good position to be effective in the games I saw him play in. I don't see why we would need him when we have a Horlin-Smith but in Wells we trust. Maybe as a half forward flank like he used to be?

It was something I didn't notice, he was just always in a good position to be effective in the games I saw him play in. I don't see why we would need him when we have a Horlin-Smith but in Wells we trust. Maybe as a half forward flank like he used to be?
With less interchanging this season due to the new rule, expect midfielders to rest forward or in defence. This guy looks more damaging then GHS if we switched him forward.

Any idea why he only played 12 games?

Injury my friend.

Quote:
"What are everyones thoughts on Sam Menegola from Subiaco as a mature midfield recruit?
23y/o 188cm 90kgs
Athletic Midfielder who can win his own ball and kicks goals, was a forward as a junior so can swing into the attacking 50 and is good overhead (as he did numerous times this year with taggers)
Has been on Hawthorns and Freo's list, but both times hampered by injury as he was at the start of this season. However, played the last 14 games of this season and averaged 28 possessions kicked 21.18 + 4.5 tackles, was clearly the best player in the WAFL. Ended up second in the Sandover medal on 41 votes (from 12 regular season games) winner got 45. While at Freo was regarded as their best endurance runner."

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39271-sam-menegola/

Seriously guys i think you will be very, very pleasantly suprised with Sam. All the parts of his game sort of clicked together this year in the wafl and he went from being an athletic outside mid / hff / hbf to an inside mid and dominated. Genuinely think he will play round 1 of next year for you even if Scooter is fit.

That sounds great but if Scooter is fit who gets left out to play Sam ?

Spots are pretty hot assuming Vardy, Menzel, Cowan, Stanley, Clark, Duncan and Scooter are fit. Then you have Lang and Cocky - who I think the club believe have a serious future ahead of them - and for us.

I genuinely believe that this will be a year of stimulating interest in who will start in the best 22 - and who will end up in September being best 22.

I know we cannot predict injury and suspension - but if we allow for that I wonder how many would get at least 20 of the 22 selected in the first final of 2016 (assuming we make and I do assume that proudly) ? I think it could be a very hard thing to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back