Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Can count himself pretty unlucky, not only for injury reasons but that his career overlapped with 2 all Australian key defenders, a top 10 selection who was always going to take precedent when it comes to selection and Dustin ****ing Fletcher.

Bloody good stopper at his best

Hopefully he isn't lost to the game completely.

Will he still be in our VFL make-up going forward...he would be an ideal captain.

Or will he head home to Old Xavs and bolster the Premier side towards further success?

I think for him the last couple of years have been so tough on him. This choice certainly would not have been easy.

Deserves life membership for his tackle on Whoreforn's Hill alone!

Good luck Bambrose and all the best. Shame we couldn't get you to 100 games and secure your genetically superior progeny.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Will miss him.

Interesting that possibly one of the best athletes to ever walk through our clubs doors is let down by his body where as we hear notorious poor trainers who don't look after themselves have long careers.

Wish him all the best.

just sucks he never got a good go of it due to injuries.

guy gave 100% every time he laced up, a lot more than could be said for people on his team during his era.

Will miss him.

Interesting that possibly one of the best athletes to ever walk through our clubs doors is let down by his body where as we hear notorious poor trainers who don't look after themselves have long careers.

Wish him all the best.

Some guys can just go too hard. I suspect Ambrose is one of the them. Body can't take the load after a while.

Shame he couldn't play 100. He could push himself hard enough and was athletic enough to keep up with a game he could barely play before developing a quality game as key defender (probably B grade at his best).

Congratulations on being able to carve out a pretty decent career, Patty. Really started to gain some ascendancy in the backline for a while there, and really became a walk-up start. Sad to see you go but thanks for serving the club with dignity. High point for me was the toweling up of Nat Fyfe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably one of my favourite players. Sad to see him go. A real decent bloke. Thanks boss.

Really nice little highlights package... only missing the obvious.

Also a little interview about his reasons – basically his foot just won't heal up enough for him to even train properly the last couple of years, but he's got the best out of himself. Also love the little mention of the three wins we got in 2016, up there next to an Anzac Day win in front of a big crowd haha!

And of course...

Remember when Bomber Thompson used to be really high and call him Ambrosey like it was a private joke?

And was it Bomber or Goddard who called Ambrose the best athlete he had ever seen? Fair rap either way.

Beast of a man... winning time trials, winning at bench & squat, winning at driving dudes into the ground.

Farewell sweet prince. Long may you crush the angels.

Turns 31 today. His absence is completely underrated.

We've lost / delisted a few that would be handy right now fwd or defence where we are struggling structurally.

Mitch Brown, Patty Ambrose, Joe Daniher, Saad, Tippa, Fantasia, McKenna hell even Gleeson and Michael Hartley might have been alright to still have around for depth this year.

There was no reason we should have been fielding one of the youngest sides in the comp week in week out. Our list management and player welfare sucks and I look forward to dodo getting the boot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back