Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

If he doesn't play this week, I don't think it's a stretch to say that the coaches just don't rate him at all.
Bizarre. I mean the guy polled a Brownlow vote against the Suns on their home turf for Gods sake. I've watched that game 7-8 times & you can just tell.

View attachment 1934752

I have never wanted a player back in the squad and to kick a goal more than I want this.

Reckon when he comes back, collects 30 possies (20 contested), kicks 2 goals and sets up a win against the Blues on Good Friday - those closing words will ring truer … ‘vincero, vincero, vincerooooooooo’!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he needs to dominate at VFL level for a solid month, make it impossible to not select him. Lucky the match committee won't choose players on gut feelings or needing a return on a pick #3 draftee.

He has some stiff opposition, McKercher mid/hb, LDU mid/fwd, Simpkin mid/hf, Sheezel mid/hb, Powell mid, Wardlaw mid, Zurhaar hf/mid and the ground coverage of Lazz.

I think he needs to dominate at VFL level for a solid month, make it impossible to not select him. Lucky the match committee won't choose players on gut feelings or needing a return on a pick #3 draftee.

He has some stiff opposition, McKercher mid/hb, LDU mid/fwd, Simpkin mid/hf, Sheezel mid/hb, Powell mid, Wardlaw mid, Zurhaar hf/mid and the ground coverage of Lazz.
i absolutely agree with the former, and this is exactly what should happen with a team with depth. Form is earnt and rewarded, in that order.

I would say that some of those on that list are stiff competition, but others also could find themselves in the VFL earning a call up based on form fluctuation. Like a first year or even second year player, perfectly reasonable to be a bit up and down. Or a player that's good at running but lacking in using the ball. But then, i'd even drop a captain if their form was off.

i absolutely agree with the former, and this is exactly what should happen with a team with depth. Form is earnt and rewarded, in that order.

I would say that some of those on that list are stiff competition, but others also could find themselves in the VFL earning a call up based on form fluctuation. Like a first year or even second year player, perfectly reasonable to be a bit up and down. Or a player that's good at running but lacking in using the ball. But then, i'd even drop a captain if their form was off.
Absolutely. This will be another measure of our progress this year. Seeing guys in the VFL actually pushing for games, both new and established players, and if we have an injury in the AFL that creates an opportunity, seeing guys ready to go, not sifting through the spuds to recycle the least worst option like the last few years (Young, Bonar, Turner etc).

Make or break season it appears.

Needs to step up, be more involved and versatile, and I hope he can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other players don’t even dominate in the afl let alone vfl and get picked

Phillips will play the modern leigh adams role, ala a player who is solid to hold down a position at the centre square, not flashy or dominant but solidly hold the line while the star players deliver big hits elsewhere.

These players are very important for the team whilst sacrificing personal alcolade. In someways, he needs to be convinced to stay.

Phillips will play the modern leigh adams role, ala a player who is solid to hold down a position at the centre square, not flashy or dominant but solidly hold the line while the star players deliver big hits elsewhere.

These players are very important for the team whilst sacrificing personal alcolade. In someways, he needs to be convinced to stay.
Alcolade. Sounds delicious

I love him, and love the way he plays. Has given it absolutely everything.

With Powell re-signing his hand might be forced. I've always thought that one of them will depart long term. He'll crack into the side at some point in the year I'm sure, but for his long term future I couldn't malign him if he were seeking options elsewhere.

You'd have to think McKercher and Sheezel will work their way into significant midfield minutes at some point, which will make it even harder for him.

Purely a victim of the 2022-23 high picks having a few midfielders as best available.

With Powell re-signing his hand might be forced. I've always thought that one of them will depart long term. He'll crack into the side at some point in the year I'm sure, but for his long term future I couldn't malign him if he were seeking options elsewhere.

You'd have to think McKercher and Sheezel will work their way into significant midfield minutes at some point, which will make it even harder for him.

Purely a victim of the 2022-23 high picks having a few midfielders as best available.

He needs a new role, like defense

He'll replace lazz

Just going by the stats he had a solid game yesterday, though not enough to force his way in.

Anyone watch the game that could give more insight?
Didn't see the whole thing but i think thats about right. Wasn't clean with every posession, but cleaner than others, good but not outstanding.

Feel like Will is the sort of player who would make us better in those Q3 type situations. Clean hands from what I have seen of the VFL game.

Did it against Essendon to drag us back into it last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back