Past #3: Brady Rawlings - drafted in 1998 w/ #15 - 245 games & 3 Syds - NMFC list manager!

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at the deficincies of the lockdown small defender, my mind keeps returning to Greenwood. I think that while he could be utilised well still in the midfield, now that Cunnington is getting used to the pace of the game more and more, we have the luxury of using someone like Greenwood in a more defensive role. I believe that he is probably best used as a shutdown player, the only problem is that Scott will not play a pure tagger in the middle. Greenwood is possibly surplus to our midfield needs with a full list.

Ziebell and Cunnington with Wells, Swallow and Bastinac is a well balanced brigade of guys who can win the ball and use it well.

Greenwood is tough enough, fit enough, big enough and fast enough to shut down the small types that could get away from us now that Brady has retired. He is also pretty smart and while he may not use it incredibly well, he usually moves the ball forward with ease.

Brady is shinboner to his bootstraps.

Brady will be missed and no-one on the list is currently ready to provide the blanketing job and the ability to get from back half contest to contest like Brady did. Despite his often average disposal Brady did provide a great linking option in the last two years of his career.

Looking at the deficincies of the lockdown small defender, my mind keeps returning to Greenwood. I think that while he could be utilised well still in the midfield, now that Cunnington is getting used to the pace of the game more and more, we have the luxury of using someone like Greenwood in a more defensive role. I believe that he is probably best used as a shutdown player, the only problem is that Scott will not play a pure tagger in the middle. Greenwood is possibly surplus to our midfield needs with a full list.

Ziebell and Cunnington with Wells, Swallow and Bastinac is a well balanced brigade of guys who can win the ball and use it well.

Greenwood is tough enough, fit enough, big enough and fast enough to shut down the small types that could get away from us now that Brady has retired. He is also pretty smart and while he may not use it incredibly well, he usually moves the ball forward with ease.
I agree.

We should be able to generate enough drive and grunt through the guts to eventually move Levi back to take over that role. I don't think we are ready for that just yet though.

This kind of problem really shows that despite adding players to the list in the last few years who appear capable AFL footballers that we are still in the middle of an actual team rebuild. There are so many places up for grabs and questions to be answered as to the make up of our team i 12 months time.

It's one of our big challenges in 2012, to replace Brady.

The best thing is that we still have him at the club working hard to develop the next version of himself in his development role.

I hope the track watchers keep an eye on the players he's working closely with. The potential replacements could do alot worse than having the wily old Brady himself to learn off.

My issue is that I am not sure that we have the players with the defensive qualities to replace the Snozz.

I believe we have players that are better coming out of defense but I worried about their ability to withstand the attacks from the opposition, we cant afford to be a team that leaks goals like a sieve.

From where I sit it is one of the 3 main issues we have;

- Small lock down defender
- Running Half back
- Second tall forward that works in unison with Drew (not competing for the same ball)

My initial thought is Levi too.

It would require Cunners to take the next step, a break out game early would be good. Will require Ziebs to consolidate from last year.

From where I sit it is one of the 3 main issues we have;

- Small lock down defender
- Running Half back
- Second tall forward that works in unison with Drew (not competing for the same ball)

My initial thought is Levi too.

It would require Cunners to take the next step, a break out game early would be good. Will require Ziebs to consolidate from last year.

dont have a small lockdown defender.

Running half back could be Sierakowski, Jmac or Mullett.

Second tall forward could be Tarrant, i liked the way he moved to the fat side, the opposite direction Petrie lead into.

I still think we should try and convert Garlett into that lockdown defender, because he is very good in terms of that small running half back role and tends to move well in congested areas. I don't think Garlett is going to rack up a lot of game time in the middle and is too good a player to end up as just a VFL player.

dont have a small lockdown defender.

Running half back could be Sierakowski, Jmac or Mullett.

Second tall forward could be Tarrant, i liked the way he moved to the fat side, the opposite direction Petrie lead into.

I still think we should try and convert Garlett into that lockdown defender, because he is very good in terms of that small running half back role and tends to move well in congested areas. I don't think Garlett is going to rack up a lot of game time in the middle and is too good a player to end up as just a VFL player.

Well if you're thinking of him as a direct replacement to Brady Rawlings - he's 10cm shorter. But then if you think about the sort of players Brady matched up on and consider Cruize alongside those - great idea. I endorse 100%.

Agree with OP. Brady is a huge loss and we will likely struggle against teams with multiple quality small forwards this year. I get the feeling Scotty T is being groomed to play Brady's classic role of really strong lock-down defense combined with good rebound. I think the two Scotty's are are two best defenders in terms of locking someone down and using space to make up for any pace deficiencies they have (ie not letting a betts type get goal side of you) and with Grima, Delaney and Hansen as tall options, I see these two playing on the small forwards this year. If we play 2 x Scotty's and 3 of Hansen, Delaney, Grima and Firrito that leaves us with a spot in the back 6 for an Atley type who is dangerous without being too strong defensively

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldnt agree more and i always thought he did retire a year early. He was one of our most effective backmen. 9/10 times hes shut down his man. Also provided some run off the backline as well. Especially with Atley pretty much taking his position even though Atley played as a midfielder for us last season. dont underestimate the effect of mcmahon as well, we are missing him.

Retired a year too early? Really missing his presence out there.

We need 5 Bradys out there.

He is a shining testament to the rampant idiocy of the dream team posse.

Sure, he couldn't kick like D Jarman but at least he put up a ****ing contest.

"Retire him" the dream team w***ers cried!

We need 5 of him RIGHT NOW!

**** we miss him something fierce. Someone who understood what the club represented and what it means to wear the guernsey.

Let's face it. We're like the little brother hanging round his brother and his older mates. Can't compete on a level playing field and have no respect. The mongrel and shinboner spirit has been ripped from the club and we have nothing else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back