Retired #3: Paul Chapman

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel exactly the same the same way MD does. All of our club legends - if 'home-grown' from the start - should ideally be one-team players. Like said though, it would be a waste of Chappy's talent pulling the plug when he felt he had a lot more to give.

Older Essendon fans would especially have an insight into this when one of your previous no 3's in Paul Salmon left the Bombers to join f*cking Hawthorn, of all clubs. I can imagine that sticking in a fair few craws...
Wasn't as bad for us as we got Wellman and Barnard in return for Fish, I can understand why some cat's fans aren't 100% happy with him in red and black, at least it's not poo and wee..

He still has to learn our history now! He wouldn't keep track of other clubs flags while he is playing I wouldn't have thought.

My comment was clearly tongue-in-cheek, although I would think most football enthusiasts, let alone players, would know which club/s have the most premierships.

Completely and totally understand the sentiment of Geelong fans who wish Chappy had remained a one club player.

Let's be honest, we'd be completely the same if Fletcher ever left, or if Lloyd had followed through on those expressions of informal interest from Collingwood and Carlton to play on with them. Seeing a club legend in other colours is not nice.

But, Cats fans, if it's any consolation, Chappy has moved to the only other club that hates Hawthorn as much as your club does. :)
Or Wanganeen, sigh....

Interesting that Chappy thought that EFC were closer to a flag that Carton.. also thought our facilities and training centre were better..

I think the HPC will influence players in the next few years.. it is truly huge and amazing..

I'm expecting Chappy will play around 20 games next year.. looks very confident in his body and ability to still train hard and improve. I think we will use him up forward through necessity.. but I also think that Chapman will be great to guide guys like Zaka and Melksham who appear the most likely to play that true HF/Mid floating position...

Or Wanganeen, sigh....
Wanga is a little different, he was only 23 when he left and had played only six years.

Those were six glorious years, mind you, and there was a massive, massive case of "what if" about the years following his departure. He almost certainly would have made a difference at a critical point in 1999 and/or 2001.

But it's a little different than losing a really long serving legend, like Fletcher.

Wanga is a little different, he was only 23 when he left and had played only six years.

Those were six glorious years, mind you, and there was a massive, massive case of "what if" about the years following his departure. He almost certainly would have made a difference at a critical point in 1999 and/or 2001.

But it's a little different than losing a really long serving legend, like Fletcher.

Not so much "losing" as "removing".

As I've said before, Shane Kersten better be pretty ******* special.

Look at the circumstances surrounding Wanganeen and why he left and it was an exceptional case, but ultimately we lost a great player about to hit his prime. Then look at the allowance Brisbane no longer enjoy that allowed them to keep a couple of genuine guns. He'll, Jon Brown wouldn't be eligible for Brsbane under the current F/S criteria of 100 games. Yet each one of those things worked against Essendon prolonging their great run and Brisbane being able to maintain theirs.

Had even half of those things been different we'd have won 2 flags in those 3 years. I am as certain of that as one can possibly be regarding a hypothetical ;)

I we had our own 'mini' little version of this already...

Lloyd got shunted out to the wing, HBF and nowhere, so that Jay ******* Neagle could 'get opportunities' in our 'bullish' forward freakin line!

Didn't agree with it then, don't agree with it now.

If a young kid isn't good enough to be getting games, then he plays in the VFL until he is good enough to rightfully take that spot. Using some B/S that you need to gift young kids games so they can compete with GWS in five hypothetical years time just sounds like a pile of s**t.

Hope Scott chokes on a big one when they are in the dying minutes, ball is up for grabs on the 50m line and the Cats are 5 points behind.. who do you want in the heat then???

What happens if the 'young' kid in these scenarios is just a dud, no matter how many games you pump into him??

It's history now.. but still baffling to me..

I we had our own 'mini' little version of this already...

Lloyd got shunted out to the wing, HBF and nowhere, so that Jay ******* Neagle could 'get opportunities' in our 'bullish' forward freakin line!

Didn't agree with it then, don't agree with it now.

If a young kid isn't good enough to be getting games, then he plays in the VFL until he is good enough to rightfully take that spot. Using some B/S that you need to gift young kids games so they can compete with GWS in five hypothetical years time just sounds like a pile of s**t.

Hope Scott chokes on a big one when they are in the dying minutes, ball is up for grabs on the 50m line and the Cats are 5 points behind.. who do you want in the heat then???

What happens if the 'young' kid in these scenarios is just a dud, no matter how many games you pump into him??

It's history now.. but still baffling to me..
Seems geelong are choosing to "develop" their young talent a similar way, hmmm... ;)

I guess it would have made more sense if it was a kid like, Motlop, that couldn't get into the side...

Basically you have a situation where every week it is a 55/45 decision on whether the kid gets the spot ahead of the older bloke.. then I could understand.. you have to let the kid get games at some point...

But I would think it would be a 90/10 decision right now on the kids waiting on Chappy's spot..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so much "losing" as "removing".

As I've said before, Shane Kersten better be pretty ******* special.

Kersten was the reason Podsiadly's contract wasn't renewed, not Chapmans's.

Chapman's favourite band is Metallica. Could I be any more in love???? :hearts:
LEGEND!

Chapman, envisioning flag,
Not as a cat,
But as a bomber,
With his old coach,
Slaying the Hawks,
Wearing a sash,
Balder than Dr. Phiiiiiiilllllllllllllll-ah!

Chapman's favourite band is Metallica. Could I be any more in love???? :hearts:
LEGEND!

Chapman, envisioning flag,
Not as a cat,
But as a bomber,
With his old coach,
Slaying the Hawks,
Wearing a sash,
Balder than Dr. Phiiiiiiilllllllllllllll-ah!

DODODODD DOOO DDODODODD DOODOO
DOODODOD DOOOO
DODDOODOD DOO DOOO

CHAPPY
Is winning our points
Kicking our goals
Killing off backlines
Smashing all sides
With no hairline
Red and black man
HAWTHORN CAN JUST GO TO HEEELLLL-AH

was having a bit of a laugh with this article i was reading and i quote "Chapman's eight games this year only produced 12 goals" that's an average of 1.5 goals a game if I'm not mistaken. that's not bad, Luke Breust averaged 1.6 and chris mayne averages 1.5 as examples. that 1.5 average puts him third at essendon (that includes gumby and stew leaving so 5th if you include them) He also averaged 4.4 tackles a game this year witch also puts him third at essendon for tackles and puts him as the number one forward for tackling. hopefully he can prove people wrong, and also kick 8-10 against geelong ;)

was having a bit of a laugh with this article i was reading and i quote "Chapman's eight games this year only produced 12 goals" that's an average of 1.5 goals a game if I'm not mistaken. that's not bad, Luke Breust averaged 1.6 and chris mayne averages 1.5 as examples. that 1.5 average puts him third at essendon (that includes gumby and stew leaving so 5th if you include them) He also averaged 4.4 tackles a game this year witch also puts him third at essendon for tackles and puts him as the number one forward for tackling. hopefully he can prove people wrong, and also kick 8-10 against geelong ;)

2 games as sub too.

In my personal opinion, I would have thrown Bartel in Chapman's position. Whilst the vast majority of Geelong supporters upon hearing this will probably string me up by the balls, and propel rocks in my direction, I feel the pace of the game has caught up with him.

Not suited to the backline or midfield due to his lack of pace, and was exposed on occasions throughout the season, and Chappy's a better option than Bartel forward of the centre and through the midfield.

If Menzel was available I could see the logic, but alas he isn't.

Like you suggested, our loss is your gain, and He'll complement your structure nicely.
I'd take him...

Interesting that Chappy thought that EFC were closer to a flag that Carton.. also thought our facilities and training centre were better..

I think the HPC will influence players in the next few years.. it is truly huge and amazing..

I'm expecting Chappy will play around 20 games next year.. looks very confident in his body and ability to still train hard and improve. I think we will use him up forward through necessity.. but I also think that Chapman will be great to guide guys like Zaka and Melksham who appear the most likely to play that true HF/Mid floating position...
Not really interesting, I thought it was just the general consensus...?

In my personal opinion, I would have thrown Bartel in Chapman's position. Whilst the vast majority of Geelong supporters upon hearing this will probably string me up by the balls, and propel rocks in my direction, I feel the pace of the game has caught up with him.

Not suited to the backline or midfield due to his lack of pace, and was exposed on occasions throughout the season, and Chappy's a better option than Bartel forward of the centre and through the midfield.
tumblr_mm681qNocA1qfrw7to1_400.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back