Past #3: Ryan Bastinac - traded to Brisbane for picks 17, 26, 28 & 47 (NMFC loses 34, 38, 40 & 2016 R3)

Remove this Banner Ad

In fact players re-signing is one of the main positives under the current regime.

If we were flying as a club like in the 90s I would agree -hard to fit everyone in as the $$ expectations increase across the list (sometimes impossible). Also like Swans and Hawks in recent years, keeping proven performers who would most likely be able to demand bigger $$ elsewhere.

Where is our on-field performance and attitude improvement to show for it being such a positive King Corey?

I put it to you (as a quality poster, wanting to know your view and why also) that our players would be absolutely crazy to want to leave. If I was in their position I would much rather lock in three years with my teammates on $$ I wanted with little accountability, rather than risk going elsewhere.

In other words, this whole resigning lovefest based on 'culture' and view that our list managers are killing them, is rather a reflection of the club's acceptance and reward of mediocrity, and no significant achievement at all. Hence it's all well and good to celebrate that none of our player's have been poached by the expansion clubs - it might rather be that the expansion clubs didn't match our offer or didn't want X player anyway. Same goes for Scott's extension.

Last edited:
^^^ Oh Saintly......

images

im sorry this is how business works
No, this is how some businesses work. But it's short-sighted and, I would argue, isn't how high performing businesses work. Such businesses look beyond the short-term, transactional, win-lose perspectives to those that are longer-term, relational and win-win.

I would have absolutely given him the rest of the year to produce something close to what is required, and only then sat down and spoke to him about the next contract.

If he continued on last years' form, I'd say two years with an option of three based on performance.

If he took that, great. That's a great contract for someone who was taken around where Fyfe was and produced not a whole lot since, despite being given free-reign in our senior side to 'get up to the pace' of AFL for his first few years. He'd have to be thankful for that.

If he chose to walk based on that, surely it's not someone we'd want at the club.

But three years based on not a whole lot? I don't agree with it. I wont lose sleep over it, and it's certainly not as woeful as the club chasing Buckley without and due diligence, or handing Brad Scott a contract until 2016 without producing anything whatsoever, but it's just further steps taken down the path of 'investment/goodwill in the hope that it'll get repaid'.

Newsflash: On so many levels, our faith in our players and coaches has not been repaid. We've become a soft, bleeding-heart, join hands and sing kum-ba-yah and make daisy chains club, that gets on the front foot and stops players leaving based on what it is hoped they'll be, not based on what they actually do. And we sit middle road for good reason. We get on here, time and time again, and start threads in capital letters, raging, because our players have not turned up with any intensity in the first quarter of matches. We watch interviews hoping for a scrap of a reason for this softness, and lack of mental intensity, and we see our leaders acknowledge it and then proceed to serve up the same the following week. When is it going to end? Where the **** are the Shinboners in this side?

Players sign up, and players want to stay, not because of culture, but because where else can you get a generous contract before you've done anything? No wonder they want to stay. They roll up, get patted on the back with their mates, and if they lose, they don't hurt. They laugh and have a great time with the team that have pulled down their pants. Who would want to leave that? Money for nothing.

Like I said, the Bastinac thing itself isn't that deplorable, but it's part of a wider framewotrk of softness and unnecessary generosity that has destroyed this club. The culture isn't great, it's soft. It's self-congratulatory, middle-road aiming softness.

Brad Scott wanted to 'match it with the best' in his first, oh God what, three years? And then when the time came to actually be up there, and he was challenged about not producing, he very quickly rolled out the old 'those expectations have come from outside the club' line. There is ALWAYS a ***ing OUT CLAUSE for this group and why aren't more people sick of it?

Saintly31, as usual, you are spot on.

No, this is how some businesses work. But it's short-sighted and, I would argue, isn't how high performing businesses work. Such businesses look beyond the short-term, transactional, win-lose perspectives to those that are longer-term, relational and win-win.
i wouldn't agree with that. both parties use leverage. bastinac would use a good season as leverage for higher benefits, and the club would use an average season to demand lower benefits.

new england patriots have made an artform out of BLSH for the last 13 years and they are more successful than anyone.

i wouldn't agree with that. both parties use leverage. bastinac would use a good season as leverage for higher benefits, and the club would use an average season to demand lower benefits.

new england patriots have made an artform out of BLSH for the last 13 years and they are more successful than anyone.
Yes, there will, of course, be a negotiation. But I doubt it would be accurate to suggest it would be based purely on each party acting on a win-lose, transactional basis as you have (player manager 'tactics' notwithstanding).

Perhaps some hard scientific facts might help this conversation....all three here at the same age, 183-184 cm, 84 -86kg

......and curses, looks like we got a good one anyway; damn it, if only we could go on complaining about the stupidity of everyone at the club.....

stats.jpg

Perhaps some hard scientific facts might help this conversation....all three here at the same age, 183-184 cm, 84 -86kg

......and curses, looks like we got a good one anyway; damn it, if only we could go on complaining about the stupidity of everyone at the club.....

View attachment 59601

Interesting comparison, especially considering this is Bastinac's worst season to date thus far. Can't go past what Dal Santo's inclusion has done for him.

I'd like to see Bastinac continue to push forward, roves packs well and clearly knows where the goals are.

All in all he's a very promising youngster and I'm very pleased to secure him through 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great news. He's gonna be an important part of our midfield moving forward.
Not wrong. When this group clocks up 200 games each, no team will be able to compete with us. We must lock in now with front-ended contracts. Buy in gloom, sell in doom. AFL is now a business & when you have business accreditation as I do, it's not rocket surgery that the eyes & tees need to be crossed.

Going by this thread, you can look at this news in one of two ways

1. Good news, Basti's played really good footy in the past and hopefully, now that his future is settled, he can concentrate on getting back into good form

2. Of course he would re-sign, seeing that there's no accountability at North. Clearly the players just want to get paid, and no-one at the club actually cares about success. Sack scotts and bring Laidley back.

Really only one of these points make logical sense to me

He is coming off a 21 disposal, 4 mark, 3 tackles, and almost a goal a game season and people are annoyed that we signed a 23 year old to a 3 year deal?
I have to back you here DR.......is it many here who have a quicker/higher expectations on results, than where we really are (club position on the ladder and player growth/performance)? I for one think this lad's ceiling is enormous and there's no way we've seen the best of him so far. We started 5 yrs ago this project and its very evident that the club is holding the faith and seeing it all the way through......I would be fuming if he went to another club and then suddenly he matured into a great player most of us here feel he will be.

IThat's a great contract for someone who was taken around where Fyfe was and produced not a whole lot since, despite being given free-reign in our senior side to 'get up to the pace' of AFL for his first few years. He'd have to be thankful for that.

Also taken around where Gysberts, Lucas, Howard, Pittard, Tapscott, Griffiths, Weedon, Stevens were taken.

Fyfe and Carlisle probably the outliers around that mark not the standard.

No doubt Basti has not come on a far as many of us would have liked, but in and around his draft area he has held his own.

Re-payed the faith tonight, was absolutely fantastic, his run and carry was back to its best. He was very courageous, no question marks on putting his head over the ball. It's great to watch him when he is playing well, still young, will only improve over the next 3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back