Past #3: Ryan Bastinac - traded to Brisbane for picks 17, 26, 28 & 47 (NMFC loses 34, 38, 40 & 2016 R3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to be the devil's advocate here and say that Bastinac is being asked by the coaches to be a spread player. They don't want him to win the ball. They want him to be an option, to link up, and run like the wind. If we're not winning the clearances and contested possessions--which Basti is not asked to compete in--then he's in no-man's land by design. How can you bag him for that?

I bag him all the time for looking lazy, running like laconic Lachie, and appearing to shirk a contest.

But really...why would the guy be getting a game if he wasn't doing what the coaches are asking him to do? If he's failing, it's because the gameplan fails when we don't win contested possession. Somebody can stat it up, but I would bet that when Basti kicks two goal or more, we win. That's because he's free, in space, crumbing, and the ball is coming in our forward 50.

Anyway, ramble over. The fairy tag is bullshit. The dude works hard. He has no influence on the game when we don't win the ball.

What a load of tripe.

Gibson plays the same role and he manages to get his hands on the footy so I don't see why Bastinac can't. Bastinac looks lazy because he is lazy. how often do you see him using his elite endurance to get back and help the defenders? How often do you see him gut-run to space to provide an option coming out of the back line like gibson does?

The fairy tag might be overkill, but he has shirked a few contests this year and there is no denying that. When Anthony shirks a contest and puts his teammates under pressure he gets drilled for it. Bastinac deserves the same.

Maybe. Just maybe the key lies within our little fairy.

When fairy is on cue the rest of the team notoriously seems to be too?

Something which is slightly alarming about Ryan's numbers is the fact he gets very little attention from opposition clubs, I mean fair enough if he was an Andrew Gaff situation where he is getting tagged on a wing at 22, but he isn't, he's allowed to run around and do what he wants a lot of the time, besides the occasional run with role (which he seems to excel in).

It is strange to look back to a couple of years ago, where the majority on this board considered Bastinac the superior of Cunnington from their draft, however Ben was made to fight for his spot, after being dropped, and is now averaging 23.7 disposals, 6.1 tackles, 3.7 marks in comparison to Basti's numbers (16.8 disposals, 3.8 marks, 3.5 tackles).

And the reason he gets no attention is that he is viewed as soft and no threat. An accurate view in my opinion. Think Farren Ray. Oh and the marks comparison is invalid because Bastinac gets them loose in the back pocket and Cunnington takes them in the heat in the middle.

- When Cunnington was dropped in 2012, he was averaging 14 disposals per game (12 if you exclude games vs GWS and GC). He was a liability.

- Excluding the two sub games, Bastinac is averaging 19 disposals per game. Not good but not terrible.

- He's been pushed into an exclusively outside role this year. First by Dal, now by Greenwood.

- He's one of our better decision makers. He's ok by foot and excellent by hand.

- Played a ripping game 2 weeks ago.

- He's better than the alternatives.

- When Cunnington was dropped in 2012, he was averaging 14 disposals per game (12 if you exclude games vs GWS and GC). He was a liability.

- Excluding the two sub games, Bastinac is averaging 19 disposals per game. Not good but not terrible.

- He's been pushed into an exclusively outside role this year. First by Dal, now by Greenwood.

- He's one of our better decision makers. He's ok by foot and excellent by hand.

- Played a ripping game 2 weeks ago.

- He's better than the alternatives.

Pet hate of mine when people give broad average per-game stats, but don't acknowledge any games impacted by being the sub...

I know he supposedly has "elite endurance" but Basti's greatest strength is his hands in close, would only be behind Cunnington at the club. For mine he is actually an inside-mid being asked to play on the outside.

I see comparisons with Daniel Cross, except Bastinac is a better kick.

I know he supposedly has "elite endurance" but Basti's greatest strength is his hands in close, would only be behind Cunnington at the club. For mine he is actually an inside-mid being asked to play on the outside.

I'd have to agree there Arden. I reckon his best games have been when playing as a ball winner.

I have watched him closely a couple of time when standing behind the goals and he seems to do alot of pointless running. It certainly does not seen natural to him.

On the flip side, I suppose most underage onballers win their own footy. Clubs need to find a spot for them at AFL level. Bastinac's endurance makes him an obvious choice for an outside role.

To assist with list management we really have to look at moving one of the inside players on to bring in what we lack.

To be fair, if you're going to say he's a better kick than Cross, you should also acknowledge that Cross has him covered for hardness and overhead marking.

I'd have to agree there Arden. I reckon his best games have been when playing as a ball winner.

I have watched him closely a couple of time when standing behind the goals and he seems to do alot of pointless running. It certainly does not seen natural to him.

On the flip side, I suppose most underage onballers win their own footy. Clubs need to find a spot for them at AFL level. Bastinac's endurance makes him an obvious choice for an outside role.

To assist with list management we really have to look at moving one of the inside players on to bring in what we lack.

Yeah, the players have to adapt. Sam Gibson wasn't just an outside mid for Box Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a load of tripe.

Gibson plays the same role and he manages to get his hands on the footy so I don't see why Bastinac can't. Bastinac looks lazy because he is lazy. how often do you see him using his elite endurance to get back and help the defenders? How often do you see him gut-run to space to provide an option coming out of the back line like gibson does?

The fairy tag might be overkill, but he has shirked a few contests this year and there is no denying that. When Anthony shirks a contest and puts his teammates under pressure he gets drilled for it. Bastinac deserves the same.

Tripe schmipe. The truth is none of us knows what knows he's being asked to do by the coaches. I reckon he's much more likely to get a run-with role than Gibbo. Gibbo is clearly not lazy. I'll give you that.

But my point was that he wouldn't be in the side if he wasn't doing something he was being asked to do.

If you had a go at him for liking One Direction, I'd be more sympathetic (although I like some of their earlier stuff, before they sold out and started doing stadium shows).

At the moment basti and Adams 12 -15 possessions a game with limited influence makes them is inter changeable with midfielders next in line down the pecking order in Dumont wright Jacobs & mckenzie. Shaky ground this week for these two

Losing doesn't hurt for this bloke, it's as simple as that.

He is the same size as Swallow, with better skills overall and superior aerobic capacity.

At his best, his clearance work and spread are as good as Andrew's.

But Swallow is a competitive animal that hates losing and getting beaten.

That is why he is our Captain and the other often features in threads like this (and completely justified).

Wake up son.

Also Uncle_Leo - I'd be keen to see you sit under a high ball at half back against West Coast - knowing you've got Kennedy and Cox and Natanui and Darling all lining you up - and take the grab as Basti did a fortnight ago.

Fairy is a bit rich.
Yep. You can't say that. Poster is lucky not to be wearing a left hook.

Something which is slightly alarming about Ryan's numbers is the fact he gets very little attention from opposition clubs, I mean fair enough if he was an Andrew Gaff situation where he is getting tagged on a wing at 22, but he isn't, he's allowed to run around and do what he wants a lot of the time, besides the occasional run with role (which he seems to excel in).

It is strange to look back to a couple of years ago, where the majority on this board considered Bastinac the superior of Cunnington from their draft, however Ben was made to fight for his spot, after being dropped, and is now averaging 23.7 disposals, 6.1 tackles, 3.7 marks in comparison to Basti's numbers (16.8 disposals, 3.8 marks, 3.5 tackles).
and bastinac can't get away with 16.9 and not being a goal threat is he is one of the worst disposers of the football in our team.
he really should be dropped but won't be. he is expendable and someone else proably deserves a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back