Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg. intercept marks per game

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn also only had one KPF in 2014 and 2015! I wonder who was their Premiership winning coach? A good Clarko system will trump the need for a reliance on key forwards to clunk contested marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So true.

We've been so accustomed to the long kicks and heavy reliance on tall timbers. We have to find a better way to move the football and if it means we need to actively move and create, good. The boys need to get used to working their arse off to get the ball between the big sticks.

To be a premiership side, they have to look like one. Kicking the ball down the line to create a stoppage ain't a premiership side.

Would rather we have an effective intercepter in D50 than a 2nd KPF. We have several marking threats in our F50 and a smaller fwd line has been proven to work with the majority of recent premiers having only 1 good to elite KPF.

Systems and team coherence will trump skills 9 times out of 10 in our game where there needs to be 18 blokes running around in unison. If there's space opened up by a quality system then degree of difficulty on making decisions and execution of skills drops dramatically and the players can make more plays.

Hawthorn also only had one KPF in 2014 and 2015! I wonder who was their Premiership winning coach? A good Clarko system will trump the need for a reliance on key forwards to clunk contested marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bit misleading. Hale and McEvoy played in both. Schoenmakers (lol) in the second of the two. My memory is that Hale in particular spent a fair bit of time in the 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I come in peace.
So, what's the expectation for Charlie Comben this year? I remember seeing him play against Brisbane last year and I thought 'he's one to watch', bloody quick for a giant / type we've been looking for.
If he remains injury fee, do you expect he'll emerge as a true twin focal point along with Larkey?
Along with ZZ Top, Zane and Zurhaar, your forward line looks pretty sound for the next decade.
Maybe missing a Dixon / Mihocek / Walker / McStay / Tom McDonald type to help bring those young blokes through for a year or two.
FWIW, if Clarko could lure RFA Hardwick to Arden St. I reckon it'd be a real boon for a young side needing defensive hardness and experience.

Good luck for the season.

I come in peace.
So, what's the expectation for Charlie Comben this year? I remember seeing him play against Brisbane last year and I thought 'he's one to watch', bloody quick for a giant / type we've been looking for.
If he remains injury fee, do you expect he'll emerge as a true twin focal point along with Larkey?
Along with ZZ Top, Zane and Zurhaar, your forward line looks pretty sound for the next decade.
Maybe missing a Dixon / Mihocek / Walker / McStay / Tom McDonald type to help bring those young blokes through for a year or two.
FWIW, if Clarko could lure RFA Hardwick to Arden St. I reckon it'd be a real boon for a young side needing defensive hardness and experience.

Will be playing backline

I come in peace.

He'll play backline in the short term.

We've all been excited about him but there's less overt enthusiasm now because of how often he's been burnt by his own body. His injury last season was the first time I've felt like crying over footy since about 2013.

If Logue gets back and Charlie hasn't injured himself yet, he'd likely shift to the forward line. I believe that's where he'd do his best work. For raw physical power in the air and on the ground, we have no one better.

Good shout on Hardwick, he'd be ****ing perfect, but I imagine Smitchell knows what he has there and wouldn't let him go.

I come in peace.

I’d be v happy if Charlie can get through 15 + games. Looks like it will be as a CHB in 2024. If Charlie can do that, 2025 he could start swinging forward again. Fingers are crossed

That’s Darcy Moore like minus the bad hairdo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back