Traded #30: Patrick Ryder - Returns to the club as Indigenous Player Development Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't.
Speaking of cap space, imagine how many players at Melbourne will be paid overs next year. You'd think with Clarke gone that Melbourne would only be paying like 80% of the cap if they didn't need to pay 97% (or whatever it is).

I've often wondered how clubs do this, I would assume they pay their 80 odd% of the cap that their collective players are worth and then just pay bonuses at the end of the year to make it up to 97%. That way you are not committed to pay overs for several year. The danger here is that fringe players would get pissed off if they didn't get that top up money.

Speaking of cap space, imagine how many players at Melbourne will be paid overs next year. You'd think with Clarke gone that Melbourne would only be paying like 80% of the cap if they didn't need to pay 97% (or whatever it is).

I've often wondered how clubs do this, I would assume they pay their 80 odd% of the cap that their collective players are worth and then just pay bonuses at the end of the year to make it up to 97%. That way you are not committed to pay overs for several year. The danger here is that fringe players would get pissed off if they didn't get that top up money.

It's no wonder they are waving pick 2 and the as yet unannounced compensation pick about - no club is better positioned to throw coin at established players.

Vince and Dawes would be front ended like no tomorrow, probably some of the kids they've signed onto long term deals. Jones re-signed recently I think, so there's scope to renegotiate his deal to front end it.

Or they can give it all to Dangerfield.

Vince and Dawes would be front ended like no tomorrow, probably some of the kids they've signed onto long term deals. Jones re-signed recently I think, so there's scope to renegotiate his deal to front end it.

Or they can give it all to Dangerfield.
So you think that's how clubs do it? Front load contracts? I would have thought it would be easier to just pay everyone a certain amount at the end of the year, if say you had like $1m left over.

So you think that's how clubs do it? Front load contracts? I would have thought it would be easier to just pay everyone a certain amount at the end of the year, if say you had like $1m left over.

I'm pretty sure that isn't possible; all contracts have to be registered at the start of the year.

I'm pretty sure that isn't possible; all contracts have to be registered at the start of the year.
Contracts, yes. But I think caps are different. Otherwise, how would match payments work?

Contracts, yes. But I think caps are different. Otherwise, how would match payments work?

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly confident that TPP are declared prior to the season - which would make sense as the AFL needs to know exactly where clubs sit, and to make sure they are within spec (so to speak).

I get what you're saying though, many players 'pay' is dependant on actually playing - so I assume there'd be a hi/lo system in place.

Just doesn't make sense to me that the season could start and the AFL not know what each club intends to pay that year.

Definitely. When Freo failed to get Cloke and Clark in 2011, they renegotiated a heap of contracts and kept that cap space rolling over year on year. That's how they've been able to add a free agent the past two years and go back for more this year. They also traded the contracted Broughton for peanuts because his contract was backended and Gold Coast took on that final year payment in full (I think it was something like 550k from a 3 year, $1m contract).

A club like Melbourne has to front end contracts of players coming in to get a proper balance. I wouldn't be surprised if Dawes was on 1 mill this year and play the next couple at 300k. They have you use the cap. They have room to spare this year and next so they will leave a lot of money to attack more free agents.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly confident that TPP are declared prior to the season - which would make sense as the AFL needs to know exactly where clubs sit, and to make sure they are within spec (so to speak).

I get what you're saying though, many players 'pay' is dependant on actually playing - so I assume there'd be a hi/lo system in place.

Just doesn't make sense to me that the season could start and the AFL not know what each club intends to pay that year.
Hmm. Might ask someone tonight haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you mind have a 'loud' discussion with Dempsey how it is great that he is not shopping himself around while contracted. Hopefully one of his mates might overhear.
I don't think his mate (if you are inferring Paddy) will be there.

I think hooker will win, I think Baguley should poll well as will Ryder, heppell was solid in second half of season but a lot of possys were ineffective and he isnt very defensive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back