Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not that people didn't recognise that Wood has defensive issues ot address, what upset supporters was the hypocritical way in which these standards are applied.

Wood does need to improve that side of his game (as does our champ in Boomer for example), but he would have been far more handy and dangerous than a certain player who has even more pressing deficiencies that hurt us and looked completely out of his depth again and in a final.

In other words, I think his defensive side issue is overplayed as a reason for non-selection, especially with Black also doing very little more often than not due to injury/form.

It's not that people didn't recognise that Wood has defensive issues ot address, what upset supporters was the hypocritical way in which these standards are applied.

Wood does need to improve that side of his game (as does our champ in Boomer for example), but he would have been far more handy and dangerous than a certain player who has even more pressing deficiencies that hurt us and looked completely out of his depth again and in a final.

In other words, I think his defensive side issue is overplayed as a reason for non-selection, especially with Black also doing very little more often than not due to injury/form.
Boomer is a much better player and has many more credits in the bank so is a strange comparison.

He was essentially competing with Black for a spot all year and while I agree there were times black should have been dropped, on many of those occasions, Wood was in a quiet patch or had a little niggle. The stars just didn't quite align for Mason in 2014. I'm sure he'll get his turn soon

Boomer is a much better player and has many more credits in the bank so is a strange comparison.

He was essentially competing with Black for a spot all year and while I agree there were times black should have been dropped, on many of those occasions, Wood was in a quiet patch or had a little niggle. The stars just didn't quite align for Mason in 2014. I'm sure he'll get his turn soon

Of course. I wasn't suggesting drop Boomer for his defensive side more saying it is common in our team for defensive issues to be exactly that, an issue which is why we changed our game plan to suit and is not an automatic reason for non-seleection. (or like I was alluding to above, playing Jacobs in a final when quite obvious he would be a massive liability due to his larger issues - why not take a risk to improve the team, which we needed to beat the Swans up there, with a talented player like Wood or Dumont instead and reshuffle the team?)

Yep. I totally agree with second paragraph.

Last edited:

Hope the club plays the form players and doesn't ontinue carrying players for to long- ie patch, black, basti and spud from 2013.

Wood and dumont should of been given a chance earlier in the season
should have

Because I am that guy.

It is a pain in the arse to see more often than not though. One of the worst common mistakes.
Disagree, His/He's.

However, posting just to correct someone's spelling is a dick move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However, posting just to correct someone's spelling is a dick move.

Disagree on this. WE are better than that here at NM BF. Especially given the frequency with which we have been historically assaulted by "should of" which was immediately followed up with "gone to the Gold Coast". It is indicative of supreme ignorance and is worthy of contempt and derision.

But I defiantly think it is not the most common typo/error that has crept into the lexicon.

Disagree on this. WE are better than that here at NM BF. Especially given the frequency with which we have been historically assaulted by "should of" which was immediately followed up with "gone to the Gold Coast". It is indicative of supreme ignorance and is worthy of contempt and derision.

But I defiantly think it is not the most common typo/error that has crept into the lexicon.

Deliberate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back