Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

"For years"? Hardly. I have my criticisms, but very willing to give credit to coach and players also.

I think you are confusing me for someone else. As a Scott and all things are always perfect in Nth world disciple, I'm not surprised.

To be fair, it only seems like years. :thumbsu:

Should make a good fist of it. In really good nick and showing good signs on the training track.

You were critical last year of his efforts/attitude at training (iirc)

You have noticed a significant change then with Tron?

You were critical last year of his efforts/attitude at training (iirc)

You have noticed a significant change then with Tron?
I was never critical of his efforts at training iirc. I voiced concerns that he would struggle to find a role in our system and was made aware that there were issues with his defensive application in his role.

I have not been in a position to watch a great deal of match simulation this preseson and certainly not enough to focus directly on Mason to see is he is doing what he needs to do when he doesn't have the ball or is not involved in the play, but from what I have seen I am impressed with his work rate to get involved in the play, his execution when he gets the pill and how he is presenting fitness wise. He is doing everything he can in those regards to get more AFL games. As for the rest of it, I couldn't say.

I was never critical of his efforts at training iirc. I voiced concerns that he would struggle to find a role in our system and was made aware that there were issues with his defensive application in his role.

I have not been in a position to watch a great deal of match simulation this preseson and certainly not enough to focus directly on Mason to see is he is doing what he needs to do when he doesn't have the ball or is not involved in the play, but from what I have seen I am impressed with his work rate to get involved in the play, his execution when he gets the pill and how he is presenting fitness wise. He is doing everything he can in those regards to get more AFL games. As for the rest of it, I couldn't say.

Sounds positive then, no worries.

Maybe I got the training thing wrong. I just remember discussing with you about why you thought Mason wouldn't make it and I thought his attitude/application didn't impress you at the time. Again, could be wrong!

He seems to have a confident swagger, that can go one of two ways - misplaced and hold them back, or used effectively to gain an advantage. Hopefully it's the latter ala Carey (not saying he is like Duck, just in how confidence can be a plus. And for some like Mitch Thorp and co - a major negative)

To be fair, we can't all be as self-righteous and single minded as you LTK.

At least we agree on Jacobs.... ;)

If by "self-righteous and single minded" you mean unwilling to assert medical incompetence or failure of our football department when I am not aware of all facts, then I plead guilty as charged. :thumbsu:

Sounds positive then, no worries.

Maybe I got the training thing wrong. I just remember discussing with you about why you thought Mason wouldn't make it and I thought his attitude/application didn't impress you at the time. Again, could be wrong!

He seems to have a confident swagger, that can go one of two ways - misplaced and hold them back, or used effectively to gain an advantage. Hopefully it's the latter ala Carey (not saying he is like Duck, just in how confidence can be a plus. And for some like Mitch Thorp and co - a major negative)
I don't know the guy and don't recall anyone saying anything negative about his attitude. My doubts on him has always been related to him being a bit of a tweener who may not be big enough for a hit up role and not quite mid-capable enough for a wing role.

If by "self-righteous and single minded" you mean unwilling to assert medical incompetence or failure of our football department when I am not aware of all facts, then I plead guilty as charged. :thumbsu:

I have never suggested medical incompetence or failure. So yes, you are guilty (of fabricating a story)

I said with the ability of hindsight they would most likely have acted differently. All Drs with a case that goes 'wrong' would say they would have acted differently. It is not a reflection of their ability or lack of in the slightest, rather a decision that is made at the time on the best information available which may or may not be proven correct.

It applies to many professions, not just medicine.

Last edited:
I don't know the guy and don't recall anyone saying anything negative about his attitude. My doubts on him has always been related to him being a bit of a tweener who may not be big enough for a hit up role and not quite mid-capable enough for a wing role.

I distinctly remember you saying you thought he was a bit, err, 'up himself' and weren't taken by his approach. But regardless his role is a tweener but one of which could be really handy - I am excited by what he might offer, our fwd line looks the best it has since Duck days.

Between LMac and Wood we have ourselves a superstar defender, relentless attacker of the pill and man, with a deadly left foot finish. If both can gain a bit of the other's strengths we'll have ourselves two bloody good players for years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I distinctly remember you saying you thought he was a bit, err, 'up himself' and weren't taken by his approach. But regardless his role is a tweener but one of which could be really handy - I am excited by what he might offer, our fwd line looks the best it has since Duck days.
I think the view is that he has a look at me attitude, but that should count for nothing if he puts in the work.

I think the view is that he has a look at me attitude, but that should count for nothing if he puts in the work.

Agreed. Some of the most confident people are top performers, so lets hope it works in this instance. I would back over confidence over lack of confidence.

This board has been crying out for a forward with a cocky look at me attitude for going on 2 yrs now.

Kid just needs to back up the talk. Long as you can do that theres no harm in it.

Has a nice right foot to go with that stunning left.

Omg, we aren't selecting people based on over confidence, we have really sunk to new lows. Surely all our players must be intraverts, deer in the headlights, melters that need to be prodded in order to gain enough confidence to be play against other alpha males in a winner take all, battle of the fittest.

Honestly, its a farce.

Omg, we aren't selecting people based on over confidence, we have really sunk to new lows. Surely all our players must be intraverts, deer in the headlights, melters that need to be prodded in order to gain enough confidence to be play against other alpha males in a winner take all, battle of the fittest.

Honestly, its a farce.

Not sure how you drew that conclusion. B Tron was asked a question, which he answered. Absolutely no suggestion that it related to selection policy.

But at least it gave you yet another chance to throw some vitriol the club's way. Awesome.

Honestly, its a farce.
Yeah, nah.

There really weren't that many lines in my post for you to read between to come to that conclusion.

But anyway.

Not sure how you drew that conclusion. B Tron was asked a question, which he answered. Absolutely no suggestion that it related to selection policy.

But at least it gave you yet another chance to throw some vitriol the club's way. Awesome.

Hahaha. Good to know that leaving half decent players out of a opinion based best 22 constitutes a direct attack on the club. Honestly, your holier than thou attitude is boring. Not everything the club does in beyond reproach.

In any case, I didn't quote tron, nor have I read between lines. It's an opinion based on evidence... the fact remains that despite solid form in the Nab games against Geelong, leading the goal kicking in the VFL, being a direct replacement for underperforming senior players in Black, Adams, Daw etc, the only "whisper" we got out of the club was that he was close to selection and that he didn't mind his own work.

Anyway, love the kid, hope he shows what he's got this weekend.

Yes you do blindly defend, as who are you to say a poster is wrong when you also don't know the "in and outs of the situation"? It is called opinion and everyone on here is entitled to theirs whether positive or negative regardless what the topic may be.

Its because I don't know the ins and outs of the situation that I try not to criticise, and why I get so sick of yours

I wanted to read about Wood tearing it up.

johnholmes.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back