Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Not going to the game this week if we don’t swing the axe.

It wouldn't be the first Axe to be seen (allegedly) "swinging" out our side of town.

gc4938520456883183822.jpg

2. Mason Wood continues to keep the pressure on the North selectors.

“He was pretty good. He stayed on the move and it was sort of that game where he needed to be a target when the boys were looking to go long down the line,” Dyer said.

“But then once the ball was kicked over his head he sort of needed to get back for that fall of the ball presence.|

“It was a slightly different sort of role, but he presented quite well.”

Wood finished with 13 possessions, as one of the Tigers’ better performers in difficult conditions.

“There’s still a couple of things for him to work on defensively, but without starring he was solid enough.”

Despite popular opinion I like Mason. But he was very soft in the contest and looked overawed in his last two games at AFL level. Then he has gone back to the VFL and has really given nothing. If he was as good as we all hope he is he would be ripping games apart like he did last year. I say keep him in at Werribee until he rips it up.

Don't understand where this opinion comes from that he is soft…he ain't and when he tackles they generally stick.

He has been solid in the VFL, without being outstanding but the club needs to stop trying to turn him into a wingman. He is a natural Half forward who can work up and down the ground. He will become a very very important player for us when Petrie and co retire.

If the club wants to develop his defensive side then have him start in the centre square at VFL level and win his own footy.

Don't understand where this opinion comes from that he is soft…he ain't and when he tackles they generally stick.

He has been solid in the VFL, without being outstanding but the club needs to stop trying to turn him into a wingman. He is a natural Half forward who can work up and down the ground. He will become a very very important player for us when Petrie and co retire.

If the club wants to develop his defensive side then have him start in the centre square at VFL level and win his own footy.

Some guys just play better at senior level with better players and Mason is def one of these guys.

2. Mason Wood was an important forward during Werribee’s surge in the third quarter, kicking two goals and being influential in several key passages of play. He finished with three for the afternoon.

“It was a game of two halves for Mase. His second half was much better and he was judging the wind well,” Brown said.

“It was pleasing for him to bounce back, and he could have had a couple more goals as well, he finished with 3.2.”

Especially this week.
And if things aren't working with the three talls late, throw him forward. This is what l like about Jacobs being in the middle, more Ziebell, Bastinac and Cunners resting forward, gives us so much more unpredictability up forward.

Watch the Freo game again from earlier this year. He wasn't on his own, but he stood out as someone who actively avoided contact. BMac did the same things in a game last year, and hasn't seen action in the ones since.... Hopefully Mason turns that around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And if things aren't working with the three talls late, throw him forward. This is what l like about Jacobs being in the middle, more Ziebell, Bastinac and Cunners resting forward, gives us so much more unpredictability up forward.
Knows how to find the footy, knows how to kick a goal, has a tank. Surely it's only his defensive side that's keeping him out of the side. Is it that bad?????

Knows how to find the footy, knows how to kick a goal, has a tank. Surely it's only his defensive side that's keeping him out of the side. Is it that bad?????
Ask Nahas, it's the same reason why he isn't in.

Big man Mason Wood admits he's "frustrated" by the lack of game time he's managed for North this season, but feels he's now better placed to seize his chance.

The 21-year-old played six of the first eight games for the Roos this season, but hasn't been able to regain his spot since being dropped in round nine.

Wood said he was disappointed by his lack of progress despite a promising start.

"I'm frustrated that after starting the year playing six of the first eight (games), I haven't managed to crack back in," Wood told NMFC.com.au on Tuesday.

"I'm getting close but not quite as close as you'd like to be, so that's the most frustrating thing.

"I would be better prepared, if I came into the team now, to come in and stay in."

Wood took another step towards his AFL comeback last weekend, kicking three goals for VFL affiliate Werribee.

"I had five shots at goal and kicked 3.2 … and my defensive side of my game, I didn't have any major blues," he said.

"It's starting to come together and over the coming weeks I'll be getting closer and closer to getting back into the team."

The 192cm utility was overlooked from the squad in favour of fellow forward Aaron Black in round 16 against Essendon to replace suspended key forward Drew Petrie.

Wood acknowledged the challenges he'd had to face after being omitted from the team earlier this season.

"It's tough when you get dropped from the senior side; it's hard to come back in," he said.

"We've got a pretty healthy list at the minute so it's not just about waiting around to see if you can get a game, you've got to be pushing and playing really good football."

Although Wood couldn't pinpoint the exact reasons why he'd been overlooked for a regular spot, he said staying "100 per cent focused" on the field and eliminating his in-game "lapses" would help his chances.

The seven-gamer named his skills at ground level, tackling ability and one-on-one marking technique as areas he had to fine-tune.

"It's ground balls and my intensity around the ball that I'm still working on week to week," he said.

"They're not major flaws in my game, they're just things I need to get right and do consistently."

Wood said he was remaining upbeat and was eager to challenge for a position in the Roos' squad with just five home and away games remaining.

"I'd love another opportunity, that's the one thing I'm striving for," he said.

"It'd be a shame to have such a good start to the year and then not get another opportunity to play.

"I've got a well-rounded enough game at the minute to come in and play a role and stay in the team."

I think we are all frustrated that Mason hasn't come on like we all hoped he would.

Poor bastard thrives in the forward line and will only get a go on the wing at AFL level. He's agile, but we should use it in the forward line where he knows how to play, can't fathom why Daw and Black get games over him, they're what, a whole 1 and 3cm taller? that's what defines a tall forward from a wing/utility player? give me a break.

Poor bastard thrives in the forward line and will only get a go on the wing at AFL level. He's agile, but we should use it in the forward line where he knows how to play, can't fathom why Daw and Black get games over him, they're what, a whole 1 and 3cm taller? that's what defines a tall forward from a wing/utility player? give me a break.
It is bemusing isn't it. He played in the forward line in his 1st game and kicked 3 goals and pretty much hasn't played there since.

I'm a big believer in playing guys to their strengths. i.e- Hansen as a loose defender or Wood as a HF.

It is bemusing isn't it. He played in the forward line in his 1st game and kicked 3 goals and pretty much hasn't played there since.

I'm a big believer in playing guys to their strengths. i.e- Hansen as a loose defender or Wood as a HF.

Against Melbourne late last year like this week. was very excited to see him play and 3 goals on debut was fantastic, will be very disappointing if they trade him instead of Daw or Black, at least he has proved he is at AFL level right now, Black proved that for half a season 2 years ago and Daw did once.

Wood and Brown in the Forward line would look pretty awesome in the future.

Because they have played better in the VFL this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back