Traded 33. George Horlin-Smith (2011- 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2010 National Draft selection no. 37

Jester will be so angry we passed up Parker and Hallahan. So am I. :mad:
Makes sense in the context of who we picked before and after. Schroeder in particular looks like an absolute beast on the inside.

Wells doesn't mind plucking an obscure South Australian - first Enright and then Mackie. They worked out alright.

Re: 2010 National Draft selection no. 37

Had a look at Georges highlights on the AFL website and really liked what i saw. Made good decisions and used the ball very well. I can see where the Buckley comparison comes from (although a bit early for that) i think Wells has done it again.

My only problem is there have not been many players with hyphenated names make it in the AFL. Hope he could be one of them.

Re: 2010 National Draft selection no. 37 - George Horlin-Smith

Love, love, love this pick. This kid has amazing upside and is all class for a guy who has only played a few games of serious junior football. His decision making is exceptional, and his disposal by foot is fantastic. This bloke could be anything.

I will stand corrected but I reckon Hallahan and Parker have far less upside than our George. I admire the way they go about it but I did have some doubts as to their capacity to be top shelf AFL mids.

I like that Wells drafts mids who can win their own footy. All of them appear to able to play an outside game as well.

Is that the Wells secret?: pick players who are smart and have a multi-faceted skill set. If you pick a one trick pony and his one-trick ain't that great he's a definite fail.

If you pick a player who can perform many functions he has a much better chance of plugging into the senior team in some capacity. Best example: Corey Enright

Re: 2010 National Draft selection no. 37-George Horlin Smith

So this lad played a bit of school footy and two games for Sturt U18s.

Makes Isaac Smith look like a veteran :rolleyes:

Yeah but I. Smith is 3 years older. By the time George is 21 he will have had 3 AFL pre-seasons into him. :thumbsu:

Makes sense in the context of who we picked before and after. Schroeder in particular looks like an absolute beast on the inside.

Wells doesn't mind plucking an obscure South Australian - first Enright and then Mackie. They worked out alright.

Probably more so before than after. On reflection, while Parker was a very worthy selection, he is so similar to Guthrie (albeit that Guthrie has more positional versatility) that our recruiters decided they wanted something different for the next pick, and couldn't overlook George's upside. He's probably in the top 5 players in this draft for upside, considering how little footy he's played.

Love, love, love this pick. This kid has amazing upside and is all class for a guy who has only played a few games of serious junior football. His decision making is exceptional, and his disposal by foot is fantastic. This bloke could be anything.

Better than Bundy?

(only kidding Riz :D)

Doesn't seem to waste posession by just bombing it long, always looks to hit up a target short. This might be because he doesn't have a long kick on him which is probably half right.

Looks like he has good skills and very good touch, doesn't panic with the ball. Looks a smart player, I'm glad we picked him up.

No, really good observation. One of the things that those of us who watch a fair bit of junior footy notice is how many players, despite reasonable footskills, tend to not necessarily panic, but just kick it long to packs without lowering their field of vision for shorter targets first (even Hallahan, much as I :heart: his hardness and endeavour, has a bit of that in him) which is why a lot of recruiters, including Wells, really place value on kids with composure who lower their eyes and play like they have lots of time, and have good footskills. From the limited vision I've seen, he has both in spades.

Now obviously there's a big step from school footy, so it'll be a challenge for him to keep that composure when the hits are harder and the time to make decisions is much less, but that's the gamble we're taking, and I like it.

He's clearly got a touch of class.

No matter how good your coaching staff is, you can't teach class.

On that basis alone it's an inspired pick.

No, really good observation. One of the things that those of us who watch a fair bit of junior footy notice is how many players, despite reasonable footskills, tend to not necessarily panic, but just kick it long to packs without lowering their field of vision for shorter targets first (even Hallahan, much as I :heart: his hardness and endeavour, has a bit of that in him) which is why a lot of recruiters, including Wells, really place value on kids with composure who lower their eyes and play like they have lots of time, and have good footskills. From the limited vision I've seen, he has both in spades.

You can certainly see that in this footage of him. I also noticed a nice left foot goal.

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/298089/george-horlin-smith/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with both of you guys...definitely a classy player and sounds like a good kid with leadership potential too.

My only concern is due to his lack of football, his body will probably break down if we put the same volume of work into him as our other young players, so he's going to need to be carefully managed, and is very much a 'see in you in 2013/2014' prospect. Go GHS :thumbsu:

Is he a Pure Left Footer or a Pure Right Footer?????

Cause he looks so composed on both sides of his body you cant tell.

Seems like it could be another wells special.

Is he a Pure Left Footer or a Pure Right Footer?????

Cause he looks so composed on both sides of his body you cant tell.

Seems like it could be another wells special.

He says he would like to work on his non-preferred side????????

The kids a prodigy, he's 186cms and only 17years old, so he'll possibly go close to 190 before footy season!!

Has a lot to learn, but what a choice! 'something special' as Bruce Mac would say!

I like the side step kick , all the best kicks seem to have that in their repertoire. I can imagine getting used as he receives the ball from a pack , side steps a player and hits a leading forward on the tit . Players with this skill can do more damage with less possessions . It gives them that millisecond of extra time it can help choices under pressure.

Sure he will take two or three season to come up to the fitness of most other draftees but some guys will spend their careers trying get that skill down.

He says he would like to work on his non-preferred side????????

The kids a prodigy, he's 186cms and only 17years old, so he'll possibly go close to 190 before footy season!!

Has a lot to learn, but what a choice! 'something special' as Bruce Mac would say!

Cmon meto...be brave...

Is this your star of the future?? :D Is this the "meto man"????

You guys have the bargain of the draft.

This kid, once he knows he belongs in the company and has a few kg on the frame will be very good. Was born to play sport, will be Bartel's understudy in winter and summer. He is not unfit, has been in SACA underage squads for years, but like a lot of juniors, will find the step up in professionalism initially daunting.

Really wished Rendell called the hyphen at 14 to be honest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back