Traded 33. George Horlin-Smith (2011- 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree SC , I was surprised how tall and well built he is having seen him in the NAB over here.
He did everything right with very impressive vision and efficiency in that game. Hope he gets a run against the Crows.
If he plays too well against the a Crows they might try and lure him home. Does anyone know how long he is contracted for?

He couldn't run out of sight on a dark night but he finds the footy and disposes of it well.

Sounds like that red headed bloke that used to play for us.....Sam Mitchell fits that category as well.....

If GH-S gets within coo-ee of those two we have a player on our hands!

OF course, being in my DT should mean he doesnt get a touch.

If he plays too well against the a Crows they might try and lure him home. Does anyone know how long he is contracted for?

StrangledC , there was huge amount of talk in the trade period last year that they were very strongly into him. Pretty sure OutofC at years end. Having said that if , he plays and becomes a strong part of our side , we would have a much better chance of keeping him here and happy. Really impressed in last year VFL GF , and first week this year looks like he is still on track.
If it doesn't work out , ( its a new world and young kids now want it all and want it now) then I'm sure we would do the best we could to swing a deal for a quality Vic kid like Couch or someone like that , that may want to come home. Perhaps a 3 way , plenty of other kids like Caddy to be enticed.

Sounds like that red headed bloke that used to play for us.....Sam Mitchell fits that category as well.....

If GH-S gets within coo-ee of those two we have a player on our hands!

OF course, being in my DT should mean he doesnt get a touch.
Simon Black is the player he reminds me of the most. I'm not saying he's going to be as good but he plays in a similar way.

Simon Black is the player he reminds me of the most. I'm not saying he's going to be as good but he plays in a similar way.
I have made that comparison before. Simon Black was a gun and is still a consistent contributor for the Lions to this day. I honestly don't think he will ever be as good as Black, but I still think he will become a seriously good player nonetheless.

I have made that comparison before. Simon Black was a gun and is still a consistent contributor for the Lions to this day. I honestly don't think he will ever be as good as Black, but I still think he will become a seriously good player nonetheless.
Yeah sorry mate i might have stolen that comparison from you in an older post. He has many of the same attributes as Black does. I mean, he may never win a Brownlow but i'm sure he would settle for a Norm Smith.:D

StrangledCthere was huge amount of talk in the trade period last year that they were very strongly into him. Pretty sure OutofC at years end. Having said that if , he plays and becomes a strong part of our side , we would have a much better chance of keeping him here and happy. Really impressed in last year VFL GF , and first week this year looks like he is still on track.
If it doesn't work out , ( its a new world and young kids now want it all and want it now) then I'm sure we would do the best we could to swing a deal for a quality Vic kid like Couch or someone like that , that may want to come home. Perhaps a 3 way , plenty of other kids like Caddy to be enticed.
on bigfooty you mean :rolleyes:

on bigfooty you mean :rolleyes:

Absolutely but as often is there is wild speculation , there is quite often some insightful in the know stuff. The first time I read about Hmac was on here and that just seem so much like "Bigfooty" type stuff. Anyway we will see how he goes this year , and whether there is more or less interest at years end.

Absolutely but as often is there is wild speculation , there is quite often some insightful in the know stuff. The first time I read about Hmac was on here and that just seem so much like "Bigfooty" type stuff. Anyway we will see how he goes this year , and whether there is more or less interest at years end.
I know. There was so much talk on the Adelaide board about it. on BF, but there has been absolutely no articles in the media, nothing official from clubs or not even any rumors at all not even wild speculators like Damien Barrett or the like or SEN. I just keep thinking back to Dan menzel as well before he resigned. So many people thought he'd want to return to SA but didn't, same with pat Dangerfield to Vic. The go hone factor is nowhere near as bad as it was in the 90s. Maybe kids can take it more these days.

Yeah that rumor was seen here pretty early on wasn't it. But it was speculated as being 'done' for our pick 15...

Yeah that rumor was seen here pretty early on wasn't it. But it was speculated as being 'done' for our pick 15...
The rumor was started by an Adelaide poster on their forum, and then picked up by someone on this forum,
then picked up by some 2nd rate journo's. There was never any substance to it and this is why he's here and will stay here!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horlin-Smith could be the god news story of the year at Catland.

I saw his performance in the VFL GF and thought he was good - and I cannot ignore that so many posters say he has been good in the NAB cup games.

I like the idea he is so good with his decisions and getting the ball off to a player in a better position. These type of mids can really hurt you - just like Williams did in 1995 GF. In close, takes a hit or two but gets the ball out to a player that has time to pick out a preferred match up or loose player in the forward line.

Yes Jon...he's been super impressive so far. Frankly, I dont see how they could leave him out of Round 1 on what he has shown so far in the pre-season.

Can see the Hyphen getting a game with Kelly and SJ out in round 1.

He will need to have played well in that game to keep a spot in the best 22 come round 2.

If he can do that then, yep he is likely a good one and the MC see real promise in him.

Horlin-Smith could be the god news story of the year at Catland.

I saw his performance in the VFL GF and thought he was good - and I cannot ignore that so many posters say he has been good in the NAB cup games.

I like the idea he is so good with his decisions and getting the ball off to a player in a better position. These type of mids can really hurt you - just like Williams did in 1995 GF. In close, takes a hit or two but gets the ball out to a player that has time to pick out a preferred match up or loose player in the forward line.

Jon , we have had one of those and was 5 not 33.

Thanks VC - gee he speaks well. Especially considering Andrew Maher's insightful questions - "You used to play cricket, whats your take on the Shane Watson situation"....seriously...

Geez he is an insightful kid for 22 year 3rd year player. Seems balanced and level headed. I reckon he has a long long time playing ahead of him.

Just as an aside, I just watched the VFL GF again and he was super slick with his use..... Skills are really good and decisions are just right....

Mitch Brown has gotten bigger this offseason too..... no question there...

Go Catters

He only just turned 20 Daz !

He only just turned 20 Daz !
well tar and feather my abacus....

Even better ..... for us!!!I feel the 33 will be worn by one player for a while now....;)

Go Catters

Thanks VC - gee he speaks well. Especially considering Andrew Maher's insightful questions - "You used to play cricket, whats your take on the Shane Watson situation"....seriously...
"He will be CEO of the AFL or Chairman of the commission."
"But you're not just basing that off that one interview?"
"I am basing it entirely off that one interview Tim."

Particularly like Maher's admission that the Shane Watson question was silly. That said, really interesting to hear how learning the gameplan on the field takes time for young players and that Scotty focuses attention on the younger players.

He has a bloody calm character doesn't he?
Sounded like an assistant coach who'd been in the game a couple of decades. How refreshing was it to hear a player who pauses to consider his answers and then comes out with something interesting rather than just blathering media-training cliches about how the boys are having a great preseason/sticking to their structures/taking it one game at a time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back