Past #35: Aaron Black - 50 NM games - 64 goals - traded to Geelong for pick 92 in '16 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

Said the same thing utility. It was a night for key forwards and he was atrocious. He wasn't sucking anyone with any marking prowess out of the game, he was just smashed by what seemed like a spud.

He was absolutely awful. The thing is I could see it coming for 10 weeks.
But others dropped sitters too.
I recall Wells and Thompson dropping unbelievably easy marks.
It seemed that every single mistake we made cost us a goal.

I'm fine with people being critical of a player, but some of the s**t that people are saying is down right offensive and mean. If youre going to be critical of a player point out what you don't like rather than resorting to name calling.

And to claim Black would head back to WA at the idea of being dropped to the twos is just a load of s**t.
Remember this is the same player who turned down a massive offer last year to sign for 3 with us?

and I have it from a decent source that if he had signed with Freo a number of their older/star players were going to take a pay cut to pay his wages to give you an idea of how big the offer was.

It's not about money, he loves the club.
That's the thing, the clubs use the young blokes loyalty to get what they want. I know of another player that was offered a contract interstate, he declined and signed with North, because he was loyal. He was delisted last year.

If you had somehow squeaked through last night and Black put in an effort like that in a GF loss, it could have been disastrous for the lad.

Reckon both he (and Scott) dodged a bullet with it happening in a PF and he can regroup and rehab over the preseason with much less scrutiny.

The time to sit him was a couple of months ago. Scott made a rod for his own back when he didn't and Black's performance last night was the inevitable result.

If you had somehow squeaked through last night and Black put in an effort like that in a GF loss, it could have been disastrous for the lad.

Reckon both he (and Scott) dodged a bullet with it happening in a PF and he can regroup and rehab over the preseason with much less scrutiny.

The time to sit him was a couple of months ago. Scott made a rod for his own back when he didn't and Black's performance last night was the inevitable result.

Spot on observation.

Sometimes backing your players can have a negative result. It's been one of Scotts big question marks, and it's strange considering the success he has had with being hard on the likes of Wright, Cunnington and Greenwood, and the way that they have responded.

If he's up for selection he's fit enough. Support him, absolutely, but call it as you see it. He drops uncontested marks, his tackling pressure was nil, he plays on pretty much the worst defenders in the side and gets towelled up, and he kicked 1 goal in 5 weeks!

He should have been sent into surgery when wood started dominating the Vfl, but wood was being kept out of the side. I think he'll be good for us still but this year cancelled out last year unfortunately, and there are viable options now to replace him. Wood should start in 2015.

Thought this must have been a mistake so checked it.....

Ohhhh Lord, Mason Wood waiting in the wings and he dishes 1 goal in 5 weeks up.

That is as bad as i have seen injury or no injury.

Wood 2015 is all i will say !!!!!

Thought this must have been a mistake so checked it.....

Ohhhh Lord, Mason Wood waiting in the wings and he dishes 1 goal in 5 weeks up.

That is as bad as i have seen injury or no injury.

Wood 2015 is all i will say !!!!!

While Wood kicked a couple of goals im pretty sure his direct opponent kicked a couple as well. Black hasnt been great, but i honestly think he's been hurt most by slower ball movement. That said we have been more aggressive in the second half of the season and he's still struggled. I know people have been talking of a shoulder injury, but is that all? Seemed he lost about 5-10m on the length of his kicking over the previous year......maybe i just thought he was a longer kick than he is?

Was he woeful last night ? Yes but hes been average all year.
Needs his confidence back and a massive pre season in the gym. Im not worried about him at all.
And to all the ex AFL footballers on here with big mouths and big opinions. Last thing he needs is his fans turning on him. Pull your heads in and support the boy... gee whiz your a fickle bunch of sooks.

Bad way to finish off a terrible year for Black. Really hope he can turn it around next year.

I will be watching with interest to see if he'll be going in to surgery for the injury he's supposedly carrying.

He's probably been the one negative I would take from the year. And it's not the end of the world, I was just hoping he would continue his upward trajectory. Instead he's gone backwards this year, and his finals (particularly Friday night) have been pretty awful to be honest.

Was really hoping that he'd relish being one of the main men in the absence of Tarrant. He just hasn't come on. And then you see someone like Ben Brown come in and look likely every single time. Even if not kicking goals, presenting and creating half-chances that benefit the whole team. I just haven't seen this from Blacky.

I hope he comes good because he was a great prospect for us. Imagine Black on fire with Brown and Petrie at once - that would be immense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While Wood kicked a couple of goals im pretty sure his direct opponent kicked a couple as well. Black hasnt been great, but i honestly think he's been hurt most by slower ball movement.

Maybe... but if that's the way we're being coached to play - and it seems that way - he would either need to adapt or contribute elsewhere.

I think the injury is more likely and I'm reasonably disappointed if that call has been made against the medico's advice. Given how little he offered for some weeks (and last night) I think it's reasonable to say that the alternative couldn't have been worse and may have been substantially better.

I'm fine with people being critical of a player, but some of the s**t that people are saying is down right offensive and mean. If youre going to be critical of a player point out what you don't like rather than resorting to name calling.

And to claim Black would head back to WA at the idea of being dropped to the twos is just a load of s**t.
Remember this is the same player who turned down a massive offer last year to sign for 3 with us?

and I have it from a decent source that if he had signed with Freo a number of their older/star players were going to take a pay cut to pay his wages to give you an idea of how big the offer was.

It's not about money, he loves the club.
I spoke to Aaron Black's own dad at the start of the year, the freo deal was better.

Have faith in Black, he will come good. While never dominating a match, he always showed glimpses I'm the match, his field kicking was excellent and set up a lot of scoring chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spoke to Aaron Black's own dad at the start of the year, the freo deal was better.

Have faith in Black, he will come good. While never dominating a match, he always showed glimpses I'm the match, his field kicking was excellent and set up a lot of scoring chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If what I was told was true. The freo deal was a lot bigger than what he's on with us.

I have faith but a lot of people are fickle. Imagine if we had delisted Thomas after he kicked six thousand behinds

Can wood and black work together in the same side? Both are fairly mobile but no one here will convince me that wood shouldn't start round 1, so can it work? Sydneys forward line is very tall, but apart from Tippett and to a lesser extent Reid, they are all very mobile. I think it can be done, with turner and Thomas at the crumb. It allows black to play up the ground if he still hasn't hit form whilst we still have options with wood providing problems.

It's definantly do-able.

The sack/trade Black talk is just pent up BF emotions after having a Barry Crocker. He's a very important player on our list.

Without wanting to get into a giant sh*tfight over it. I believe not putting Black in for surgery was a mistake on the part of the team. He would now be ready to hit a full preseason and the possibility of being close to 100% next year.

Bon has to really pick his team on form and stop backing players for far to long.
He nearly destroyed Thomas when he had the yips a few years back and wrecked wright and spuds seasons in 2013
by not dropping them early enough
Well that's one way of looking at it I guess.

Not one I share but I always was a glass half full type.

Black will come good I think and will repay our faith.

Talk of Tarrant being shifted back to defense, while is sound reasoning, unfortunately just cant be relied upon to get and stay fit.

Could aaron black become that kpd we crave? Would allow m wood to come In and play his 3rd fwd role. Black has not only significantly regressed but is another unreliable momentum sapping set shot.

Obviously he needs to add weight / bulk but I think is an interesting prospect. Thoughts?

Talk of Tarrant being shifted back to defense, while is sound reasoning, unfortunately just cant be relied upon to get and stay fit.

Could aaron black become that kpd we crave? Would allow m wood to come In and play his 3rd fwd role. Black has not only significantly regressed but is another unreliable momentum sapping set shot.

Obviously he needs to add weight / bulk but I think is an interesting prospect. Thoughts?

No from me..He is a natural forward. Not tall enough anyway to play KPD, besides I dont think he has the body type to add bulk.

The real worry is his marking......drop as many as he does playing in defence and it's massive trouble.

he'd be less relued to take the marks, and will have scooter and lachie floating over the top to provide marking rebounds.

hes no worse a mark then grima, firrito, tarrant or daw who are in our back six or have been mentioned as possibly being added to our back 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back