Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn’t have a point of difference as a centre square midfielder, really don’t want to see him in there at all. At least Phillips can compete better with the mature bodies.

Looked as though he was playing as the defensive midfielder, but was too slow to react on the turnover meaning he got burnt Cogs and Kelly far too many times.

Nice kick in the first quarter on the run but maybe he is a better wing player?
I don’t know. So easy to bump or push off. I just know there isn’t enough tenacity or strength for the inside

I genuinely believe he's one of the worst handballers I've seen play AFL. It stood out to me against the Saints in the praccy, just cannot hit a target with the hands

Looks like teams easing off the gas is the biggest factor in determining his level of performance. Put a line through him last year, was conned by R23 and his pre-season and retracted it. He just doesn't do anything to a decent level. Nothing. I'd sooner have Phillips who can at least hit an inside 50 pass and win his own ball

Hmmm, the only footage featuring Laz was him fumbling a ground ball....
As much as there is love for his work ethic from the coaches….

Every astute poster saw it in the preseason. Blokes ****ed between the ears when it comes to decision making and cleanliness.

He marked a ball at half forward and instead of intuitively moving the ball as we’d like in that half of the ground he stopped and his head was like a ******* bobble head. No decisive ability to make a decision.

Add that to his inability to handle contact or one touch a possession and he’s in the nice to have at vfl level.

I’ve seen enough now

Happy to give him another chance or two to adjust to the level, I think his pre season warrants it.
We have too much talent on the list to be wasting midfield minutes on this bloke.

He tries, but unless there is a miracle, there isn’t much more to see.

As soon as the speed of the game ramps up, he goes to water.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would never reach the level required to play on GF day. If clarko’s preseason speech about finding players who can play to that level is even remotely genuine, don’t think we should see Charlie again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His best bet at afl level is small forward
His best bet is to be dropped. He is not better than Curtis, Duursma, Stephenson. He is an inside/outside mid that is not good enough at either to make a difference. We brought him in ostensibly for a bit of run and carry and to put pressure on GWS's running mids, and he got ******* rocked at every opportunity, trailing literally every time. Too small to tackle, not smart enough with ball in hand. Drop him and bring in Phillips and watch us improve at clearances literally immediately.

He's a class below the Giants midfield, was out of his depth.

He’s a class below in literally all facets of the game. I can deal with being low possession and even low percentage as a midfielder, but to be that player you have a weapon or you have to have 4-5 moments in a game where you half a contest where you have no right to, or you lace someone out inside 50.

If we’re talking 15 Lazarro possessions vs 15 Phillips possessions, there is no doubt in my mind Lazarro ain’t it. We’re not though, because Phillips generally wins 13 of his 18 and does ok, Lazarro gets handed 7 of 15 and can’t do a thing with it.

His best bet is to be dropped. He is not better than Curtis, Duursma, Stephenson. He is an inside/outside mid that is not good enough at either to make a difference. We brought him in ostensibly for a bit of run and carry and to put pressure on GWS's running mids, and he got ******* rocked at every opportunity, trailing literally every time. Too small to tackle, not smart enough with ball in hand. Drop him and bring in Phillips and watch us improve at clearances literally immediately.

The player Clarko is trying to would him into is basically a Kmart version of Colby.

Colby has every physical gift you would want for thet role and he’s basically the best u20 inside/outside midfielder in the country.

I get what Clarko is trying to do with Colby, but I made the point in another thread we can’t afford to have McKercher in a back pocket all season given the run and carry he could inject.

You insert Colby into Laz’s role today and the uplift would have been massive.

The player Clarko is trying to would him into is basically a Kmart version of Colby.

Colby has every physical gift you would want for thet role and he’s been one of the best kids in the country doing it.

I get what Clarko is trying to do with Colby, but I made the point in another thread we can’t afford to have McKercher in a back pocket all season given the run and carry he could inject.

McKercher is probably not ready to go against the big bodies in the middle yet, but I’m saying that couldn’t be worse than Lazarro who can’t cope physically.

Colby has every physical gift you would want for thet role and he’s basically the best u20 inside/outside midfielder in the country.

Unfortunately will probably get to the Reject Shop version at best.

McKercher is probably not ready to go against the big bodies in the middle yet, but I’m saying that couldn’t be worse than Lazarro who can’t cope physically.

McKercher is easily ready to sit off LDU/Wardlaw/Powell and provide damaging run in transition through the middle on turnover.

He got drafted doing it.

Which is what Clarko is asking of Laz.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back